Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, Pascal... said:

Do you guys really dont know what the Ten finger system is ?!

I mean like Typing on a Keyboard with all Ten fingers. Like: 

oh.

i use shift, a, w d, space

and j, k, l, ; and space.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

18 hours ago, themctipers said:

oh.

i use shift, a, w d, space

and j, k, l, ; and space.

i use shift, a w, d, space and j, k, l and ö lol 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 12/9/2016 at 3:09 PM, Pascal... said:

Never heard touch typing called the ten finger system before. Hunt-and-peck is used by people who don't know how to type properly.

Granted, I have seen a couple people be able to type using only their index fingers while not looking at the typewriter, it's what we used at the time, type faster than I do know, or even then.

5 minutes ago, Norseman4 said:

Never heard touch typing called the ten finger system before. Hunt-and-peck is used by people who don't know how to type properly.

Granted, I have seen a couple people be able to type using only their index fingers while not looking at the typewriter, it's what we used at the time, type faster than I do know, or even then.

i can't type with 10 fingers I wasn't allowed to learn it... (My parents wanted to keep me away from computers)

So I type with some fingers but I can do it fast and without looking at my keyboard, so I don't mind.

On 12/9/2016 at 2:09 PM, Pascal... said:

I'll be honest I know alot of people who know a lot about computers who don't use that method of typing. I mean it's personal preference. I personally hate when people try and tell me how to type so I never used that method.

On 29.11.2016 at 6:41 PM, cummerou1 said:

but officially its not called like that :D 

3 hours ago, Principis said:

-snip-

So for me : I can type with all ten fingers and I can do it even with out looking down on the Keyboard but I just can do it slowly. So when I am looking down on the Keyboard I can write really fast 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Here's a snippet from a recruiter who recently contacted me via email:

My client are seeking someone with robotics/mechatronics experience that has experience of developing for large microprocessors (up to 64 bit).

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

2 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Here's a snippet from a recruiter who recently contacted me via email:

im pretty sure anyone that has experience making 64-bit CPUs is already hired at AMD or Intel lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im pretty sure anyone that has experience making 64-bit CPUs is already hired at AMD or Intel lol

and people who are experienced in making heating devices are hired at amd already.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

About a year ago i was talking with my uncle about my pc about the specs and as i told him i have 16gb of ram.... and a gtx780ti with 3gb of vram.... he said - so you have 19gb of ram... 

tried to explain to him about the difrence between ram and vram for about an hour. 

he didn't agree, he kept saying it's the same thing 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My mom called me in the middle of the night because she can't figure out how to close Internet Explorer and doesn't know how to shut down Windows 8 (pre 8.1) without a touchscreen. She's even confused how to show all of the apps installed, not just the ones pinned on the Start screen. 

To close a metro style app w/o touch: move the cursor at the top of the window and drag it down with a mouse.

Shut down PC with Windows 8: move cursor to the bottom left, click start and click Shut Down.

Show all apps in Windows 8: From the Start screen, right click any space from the Start Screen, and click All Apps.

Even I was confused how to use Windows 8 for the first time.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

My mom called me in the middle of the night because she can't figure out how to close Internet Explorer and doesn't know how to shut down Windows 8 (pre 8.1) without a touchscreen. She's even confused how to show all of the apps installed, not just the ones pinned on the Start screen. 

To close a metro style app w/o touch: move the cursor at the top of the window and drag it down with a mouse.

Shut down PC with Windows 8: move cursor to the bottom left, click start and click Shut Down.

Show all apps in Windows 8: From the Start screen, right click any space from the Start Screen, and click All Apps.

Even I was confused how to use Windows 8 for the first time.

yah its a pice of shit, i think a lot of us can agree on that

Builds:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, millema said:

I once asked my friend, who is fairly tech, what kind of keys he has on his keyboard. His answer was "um... Black."

"Hey man, what kind of a graphics card is that?"

"Uh... Fast."

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

"Hey man, what kind of a graphics card is that?"

"Uh... Fast."

The worst is my robotics / comp sci teacher, I talk about hardware and he gives me this blank look like everything I say is in another language. I once told him about my computer and he said "ok, its fast?"

16 minutes ago, millema said:

The worst is my robotics / comp sci teacher, I talk about hardware and he gives me this blank look like everything I say is in another language. I once told him about my computer and he said "ok, its fast?"

It depends on what their focus was in comp sci.  If the person went into comp sci for the programming, those are the people I've found that tend to not know much about the underlying hardware. (Even though I personally think they should still know a little more of the hardware basics than they sometimes do, regardless of what their focus was.)

Recent story. One of my friends has been so excited to get his google pixel recently, i have no clue why its just another smartphone... Anyways he gets it and starts installing all of his apps. 10 days later he remembers an app he has yet to install called "Yikyak" he goes installs it launches it and it uses local services to find location. His location isnt working on the app. I tell him to reboot his phone, he said no thanks, I knew this was the fix since I've had this problem before. After 5 minutes of arguing with him he says "I dont want to reboot my phone because it damages it and I dont want to break it my new phone" I just kinda sat there in amazement. Couple minutes later he asks me how to reboot his phone that he has for 10 days now and the app works after the reboot.... WHY ARE PEOPLE SO IGNORANT. 

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

3 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

~snip~

That actually goes along with a recent story I have.... 

I have two friends (1) and (2).  Friend (1) is not very techy and doesn't know much about computers outside of how to browse the internet and run his steam games.  Friend (2) is much better and quite competent when it comes to computers and networking.  

We were all at friend (1)'s house helping him with some networking (pulling ethernet cable and tuning his wireless). I key in some manual settings on his computer so I can do some network configuration changes and troubleshooting.  We weren't quite finished and I had to leave, so I switch the network settings on his computer back to what they were (auto) and left.  

When I get home I get a phone call from friend (1): His computer can't connect to his wireless anymore.  I think: "Ok.  Maybe I forgot a setting before I left".  So for about 10-15 minutes I walk him through checking some settings and doing some troubleshooting.  All the other clients are fine, all his settings are good, and everything should be working; except it's not. 

Eventually, I tell him "Why don't you just try restarting?" Friend (1) responds,"I suggested that to friend (2) before I called you, but he said 'Don't bother, that won't do anything.'" He goes ahead and restarts.  Everything instantly worked again.

Friend (1) earned a +1 in my book that night. On the flip side "Have you tried restarting" is probably going to be a running joke with friend (2) for a while. :P 

3 minutes ago, Zoravar said:

_snip_

It triggers me so bad. Especially with computers with SSDs being able to reboot in a few seconds. WHY NOT REBOOT WHEN IT SO EASY AND FAST. With older PCs that take 10 minutes to boot i see why, but OMG. I worked at an organization for 2  summers now and all the employee typically try rebooting their pcs when they have a problem, saves us a lot of time.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

3 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

It triggers me so bad. Especially with computers with SSDs being able to reboot in a few seconds. WHY NOT REBOOT WHEN IT SO EASY AND FAST. With older PCs that take 10 minutes to boot i see why, but OMG. I worked at an organization for 2  summers now and all the employee typically try rebooting their pcs when they have a problem, saves us a lot of time.

At my org we do a majority of our work on computers.  So people who work there tend to naturally become better with computers as time goes on.  It makes me happy to see people being able to do some basic troubleshooting themeselves. B|

Also, I've been using the same computer for about 5-6 years.  Around year 3 or 4 the OS started to get clunky and it took a while to start up and shutdown. That's when I switch from an HDD to SSD with a clean install.  So I got a speed boost double-whammy.  For the first couple weeks, I would sit there and watch it as it started because I enjoyed gawking at how fast it is :P 

5 minutes ago, Zoravar said:

At my org we do a majority of our work on computers.  So people who work there tend to naturally become better with computers as time goes on.  It makes me happy to see people being able to do some basic troubleshooting themeselves. B|

Also, I've been using the same computer for about 5-6 years.  Around year 3 or 4 the OS started to get clunky and it took a while to start up and shutdown. That's when I switch from an HDD to SSD with a clean install.  So I got a speed boost double-whammy.  For the first couple weeks, I would sit there and watch it as it started because I enjoyed gawking at how fast it is :P 

2 years ago we did a windows xp to windows 8.1 migration for over 250 PC's some of the pcs were most than 10 years old and took 1 hour to boot..... Probably increased productivity with the change... Now we are migrating to thin clients everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

windows xp to windows 8.1

I'm sorry for your loss :D 

2 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

Now we are migrating to thin clients everywhere.

To this day, I still keep in touch with the tech guys over at my high school.  They transitioned to a thin client set up a couple years ago.  In the beginning they just ran the thin client software (VMware Horizon View, I think) over top of the old computers OS until they replaced them with proper thin clients.  

Here is one for you guys. My mom is cleaning and showing me cords. Like I know what the fuck they are for. They are non-standard power cables. How in the blue hell am I suppose to ID cables that I have no clue what they are for? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Zoravar said:

I'm sorry for your loss :D 

To this day, I still keep in touch with the tech guys over at my high school.  They transitioned to a thin client set up a couple years ago.  In the beginning they just ran the thin client software (VMware Horizon View, I think) over top of the old computers OS until they replaced them with proper thin clients.  

OH GOD VMware Horizon the pain......... We've been using citrix on a nutanix system. I called lenovo to get priving on some of their thin clients a year ago and they said "dont go thin client, companys normally switch back after a few years" i was like uhh arnt you suppose to try to sell me something...?