Experiences with non-techies

11 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

OH GOD VMware Horizon the pain......... We've been using citrix on a nutanix system. I called lenovo to get priving on some of their thin clients a year ago and they said "dont go thin client, companys normally switch back after a few years" i was like uhh arnt you suppose to try to sell me something...?

Ironically I had the opposite experience.  I tried out my high school's VMware system and it worked perfectly (being able to transfer my active session from one terminal to another was awesome).  My college had a Citrix system and it was absolute c***.  The tech guys at the college couldn't wait to get rid of it, but they didn't have the funding.  I guess it completely depends on how you have it set up and configured. 

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Here is one for you guys. My mom is cleaning and showing me cords. Like I know what the fuck they are for. They are non-standard power cables. How in the blue hell am I suppose to ID cables that I have no clue what they are for? 

"But you're a 'tech guy', you're supposed to instantly know what everything is and how it works."  -My experience many times....

1 hour ago, Zoravar said:

Ironically I had the opposite experience.  I tried out my high school's VMware system and it worked perfectly (being able to transfer my active session from one terminal to another was awesome).  My college had a Citrix system and it was absolute c***.  The tech guys at the college couldn't wait to get rid of it, but they didn't have the funding.  I guess it completely depends on how you have it set up and configured. 

Was your colledge using xendesktop? With citrix's zenapp. Citrix xendesktop can be configured so many ways.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I also have experience with a coworker of mine.o.O

He does a lot of electronic stuff, but he has no idea how the stuff with PC works. His old Medion PC  (from a local supermarket) was 8 years old and suuper slow, due to the mass of programs and viruses. Yes, he even had no antivirus installed. 

So I got him used hardware from my brother, an AMD Phenom II X4, Asus motherboard, 16GB of RAM and so on. The drive was used from the old one, but I recommendet buying a new one and also a deamn Windows license. For no reason he got a crack of win7 on his Device. Unfortunately the old installation on the HDD didn´t work, so we left it as it was. He always complains about having no money for stuff like that and the unfunctional hardware in his room.

Buys Mac Book Pro while complainning that the PC assembled by me doesn´t work yet.

I can´t understand people like that. Really, I think he is an idiot.

2 minutes ago, Kyouske said:

Buys Mac Book Pro  while complainning that the PC  assembled by me doesn´t work yet.

source.gif

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

9 minutes ago, Kyouske said:

He does a lot of electronic stuff, but he has no idea how the stuff with PC works. His old Medion PC  (from a local supermarket) was 8 years old and suuper slow, due to the mass of programs and viruses. Yes, he even had no antivirus installed. 

So I got him used hardware from my brother, an AMD Phenom II X4, Asus motherboard, 16GB of RAM and so on. The drive was used from the old one, but I recommendet buying a new one and also a deamn Windows license. For no reason he got a crack of win7 on his Device. Unfortunately the old installation on the HDD didn´t work, so we left it as it was. He always complains about having no money for stuff like that and the unfunctional hardware in his room.

Buys Mac Book Pro while complainning that the PC assembled by me doesn´t work yet.

main reason i dont make other people PCs...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Luc401 said:

Was your colledge using xendesktop? With citrix's zenapp. Citrix xendesktop can be configured so many ways.

So this is how my college broke down:  They were using Citrix (not sure what program specifically) to manage computer log-in.  However, once authenticated, everyone shared the same local user account (if you left a file on the desktop and someone else logged in with their credentials, the file was there for them too).  The desktops were not virtualized (except for the few thin clients they had).  

They did run "virtualized" apps on the desktops using another Citrix application (possibly an XenApp, because I remember seeing a Xen program running in the tasktray and the "virtualized" apps wouldn't run without it loaded).  But the way they configured it was weird/not what I would expect.  Basically, whenever you opened a "virtualized" app it would copy the program files from a network directory to the local computer and run it.  The copy was done over a 100mb connection for a lot of computers, so if it was a larger program like MatLab, it would take a couple minutes (longer if multiple people were starting at the same time, such as a class). 

Then when the computer was restarted, everything was reset.  I don't know what they used to accomplish this but it behaved a lot of Deep Freeze. 

Bear in mind if this sounds like some old, outdated version of Citrix software or configuration, it probably was.  Some of the computers were running really old, probably unsupported software.  For example office 2003 in 2014 and I'm also pretty sure I saw some XP machines lurking in the dark corners.  

Personally, I have only seen and worked with both the user and admin side of the VMWare solution my high school employed.  I have only seen and worked with the user side of whatever Citrix implementation my college was using.  I haven't been to a site that's running a modern Citrix Virtualization solution, so I have no idea how good a proper, modern set up is.    

1 hour ago, Kyouske said:

#Facepalm

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 hours ago, Kyouske said:

He always complains about having no money for stuff like that

I just... I just... I don't know what to say.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

There are two types of people in this world. Reasonable people like us and MAC users. 

That being said, I know a lot of people like Apples products. While I have very limited experience using MAC OS. I have heard is a fairly good OS. If he wants to pay a higher price for lower end hardware then let him. 

Your cowoker sounds like my dads cowoker. Refuses to work over time and has no money. Why, because he buys and drinks a 6 pack of beer every day and has to support his wife and kids who dont work. On top of the fact he had a house given to him, free of charge. Dumb ass put a mortgage on the house. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, matrix07012 said:

I like how there's a cheaper option with a 1060 on the same page.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

There are two types of people in this world. Reasonable people like us and MAC users. 

That being said, I know a lot of people like Apples products. While I have very limited experience using MAC OS. I have heard is a fairly good OS. If he wants to pay a higher price for lower end hardware then let him. 

Your cowoker sounds like my dads cowoker. Refuses to work over time and has no money. Why, because he buys and drinks a 6 pack of beer every day and has to support his wife and kids who dont work. On top of the fact he had a house given to him, free of charge. Dumb ass put a mortgage on the house. 

Yeah I made a hackintosh just to try it out and macOS is quite nice. I would probably be using it rn but I can't get sound to work.

Specs:

31 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

why the hell is the one with a 1060 3GB cheaper :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

30 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Yeah I made a hackintosh just to try it out and macOS is quite nice. I would probably be using it rn but I can't get sound to work.

i REALLY dislike OSX, it feels locked down. i would love to rock some Linux distro but there are almost no games for Linux, atleast not the ones i play

Builds:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i REALLY dislike OSX, it feels locked down. i would love to rock some Linux distro but there are almost no games for Linux, atleast not the ones i play

I haven't really used it enough to compare it to Windows well.

Specs:

Just now, BingoFishy said:

I haven't really used it enough to compare it to Windows well.

i have had to use it on the family Imac and my moms MBP, whie i really like the build of the MBP 2013(IIRC) i dont like the operating system, the looks much and the price tag. there isnt much free stuff for OSX and its not as easy to find what you are looking from from my experience, i bet people who use OSX a lot will tell me otherwise

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have had to use it on the family Imac and my moms MBP, whie i really like the build of the MBP 2013(IIRC) i dont like the operating system, the looks much and the price tag. there isnt much free stuff for OSX and its not as easy to find what you are looking from from my experience, i bet people who use OSX a lot will tell me otherwise

Yeah a lot of it is quite different from Windows. I did hackintosh because I don't have a mac. I got the install stuff from a VM. From what I've used of it a lot of it I've got used to but I don't have enough stuff on it to do a good comparison.

Specs:

11 hours ago, Luc401 said:

It triggers me so bad. Especially with computers with SSDs being able to reboot in a few seconds. WHY NOT REBOOT WHEN IT SO EASY AND FAST. With older PCs that take 10 minutes to boot i see why, but OMG. I worked at an organization for 2  summers now and all the employee typically try rebooting their pcs when they have a problem, saves us a lot of time.

My grandmas PC boots up faster with a hard drive than my PC with a SSD. 

11 hours ago, Luc401 said:

2 years ago we did a windows xp to windows 8.1 migration for over 250 PC's some of the pcs were most than 10 years old and took 1 hour to boot..... Probably increased productivity with the change... Now we are migrating to thin clients everywhere.

My school still uses leopard and iMac G5. 

8 hours ago, Kyouske said:

Maybe he used some tool by daz 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I like Mac but I'd never pay for one. Apple discord has ruined any chance of me buying it by all the cons that they've showed me.

starting at $1800 CAD

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

at my school we have supplied laptops running Win7 with locked bios. 

we all have user accounts that have no privileges besides basic customization, and the anti-virus picks up programs like steam as well. most people that are into tech like me want more privileges, so we found a way to abuse sticky keys and open up a command prompt at school, allowing the creation of new user accounts with admin privileges. 

some sportyfag finds out about this and gives admin to pretty much everybody in the grade. when doing so, he erases the administrator password instead of making a new user account and then giving it privileges. IT did a scan on all of the machines to make sure that the local admin account password is their preset one, and suspended all the user accounts of the people who had changed it.

they had a flood of year 7 students whose computers didn't work for around a week. the kid also got suspended, and i've had it for almost 3 years now and everything still works, never been caught. 

may I also add that a load of people he gave it to and did it correctly (making a new acc) have machines full of fucking malware and spyware

idk

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

at my school we have supplied laptops running Win7 with locked bios. 

we all have user accounts that have no privileges besides basic customization, and the anti-virus picks up programs like steam as well. most people that are into tech like me want more privileges, so we found a way to abuse sticky keys and open up a command prompt at school, allowing the creation of new user accounts with admin privileges. 

some sportyfag finds out about this and gives admin to pretty much everybody in the grade. when doing so, he erases the administrator password instead of making a new user account and then giving it privileges. IT did a scan on all of the machines to make sure that the local admin account password is their preset one, and suspended all the user accounts of the people who had changed it.

they had a flood of year 7 students whose computers didn't work for around a week. the kid also got suspended, and i've had it for almost 3 years now and everything still works, never been caught. 

may I also add that a load of people he gave it to and did it correctly (making a new acc) have machines full of fucking malware and spyware

Lucky. We have single core AMD laptops running vista with beats audio from 2007

no, we can't bring them home. It's only used during school. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

Lucky. We have single core AMD laptops running vista with beats audio from 2007

no, we can't bring them home. It's only used during school. 

trust me, we have a shitload of junkware on there that makes doing anything slow. when the AV scans it maxes out the CPU at 100% and it hovers around 50% at idle. I don't even use the machine at home even though I can bring it home. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

trust me, we have a shitload of junkware on there that makes doing anything slow. when the AV scans it maxes out the CPU at 100% and it hovers around 50% at idle. I don't even use the machine at home even though I can bring it home. 

We only have internet explorer and what we need this to work on (Google drive) isn't supported on IE 7..

everything is disabled. Not even task manager is allowed anymore. (It was previously, that was how I got my specs of the laptop)

1gb of ram. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.