Experiences with non-techies

My friend just bought a GPU, Radeon HD 7870.

Me: "Nice GPU, so where's your PC?"
Friend: "Here."

He has laptop ;_; and he bought a desktop GPU....

It can be set as an external GPU, but it's hard to find the part....

Now I don't know what to do with the HD 7870....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My friend just bought a GPU, Radeon HD 7870.

Me: "Nice GPU, so where's your PC?"

Friend: "Here."

He has laptop ;_; and he bought a desktop GPU....

It can be set as an external GPU, but it's hard to find the part....

Now I don't know what to do with the HD 7870....

I smell a giveaway...

One of my clients asked me to download him some more RAM...

My reaction:

I've used this gif before on this thread :P

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I've used this gif before on this thread :P

Hah! It's a good reaction gif :P

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

One of my aunt was a real estate agent (now retired) and was using a software that "need an internet connection", so eveytime she would need to use that real estate software she would open an IE window, wait for it to load and then minimize it, she would then open the real estate software (she literally thought that an internet connection meant having IE open lollll)

EDIT : fixed typos ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

One of my aunt was a real estate agent (now retired) and was using a software that "need an internet connection", so eveytime she would need to use that real estate software she would open an IE window, wait for it to load and then minimize it, she would then open the real estate software (she literally thought that an internet connection meant having IE open lollll)

EDIT : fixed typos ...

We'll put that in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category, I guess then. :P

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

*long story, scroll down for short version*

Forgot the most recent one ... 2 weeks ago a family members called regarding his work (customer service from home, using a software to receive calls).

So the problem was that the software he's using for phone calls isn't working properly and he can't get help from his IT department (from what I understood they didn't really looked into it and just shipped him an new laptop ... WTF???).

I connect remotely (I'm 2.5 hours away, not gonna drive!) and I can see that the software won't connect to the internet, *insert diagnostics here, including windows firewall and router settings, a few reboots, etc...*

At one point I see him click "cancel" while in the login popup of the "call software" ... *HUGE WTF moment* ... the software loads anyway showing contacts and call logs !!!! Turns out that software still shows you contact and log calls even if you don't log in?!?!? And when I asked him why he was clicking cancel he answered "Because it's telling me my password is wrong but I know it's the right password!"

So I helped him reset his password and create a new one, I told him to write it in a notepad window so he could be sure and so that he could write it down on a piece of paper (and also so I could keep a copy just in case).

-----------------------

*Short version*

Family member has problem with a phone call software, turns out he disabled his password and was clicking "cancel" in the logon popup because "the software started telling him he was typing the wrong password but he knew it was the right one" ... sigh ...

This just happened; I was in the middle of repairing the router (the enable/disable wireless button was broken). I had just taken the cover off the router and looked at how to solve the problem when my younger brother, which was in the same room, asked if the network was up yet. Under a minute later my dad, which was also in the same room, asked the same question.

I eventually decided to remove the cap of the button so that you could at least could stick your finger into the router and press the switch directly, the only downside was that there now is a hole where the button cap was. I showed my dad so that he would know. His response was that he was worried that dust could come trough that hole.

We have a ZyXEL P-2812HNU-F3 router, in case you don't know it's full of holes.

Picture: http://www.zyxel.com/uploads/images/public/img_p-2812hnu-f1_p_01_170.gif 

img_p-2812hnu-f1_p_01_170.gif

Btw, the blue thing in the top right was the cap that I removed.

I smell a giveaway...

lol it's not mine  :P

My friend would kick me in the butt, he puts the HD 7870 in his shelf, so he can use it anytime (maybe he wants to build a PC in the future).

I'd love to, but yeah.... It's not mine.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Every time I have to explain HDD vs SSD to non-techies I take a deep breath and start with "A hard drive is like a stack of CDs ..."

I thought you'd start with "Listen here you blithering idiot"

It's not really a bad experience, but my dad doesn't know that there are different kinds if keyboards. I'm trying to save some money to get him a better keyboard, possibly brown, cause his arm was injured quite a while ago and I just want to help him type easier

Just wondering if my school is just stupid or is this generation doomed:

Do the kids at your high school call the tower a "hard drive" and not know what a flash drive is? Do they buy iphones on purpose without a reason to not get an android? [yeah, yeah,ease of use] [mine was a gift]. Do they then go around and brag about how much they know about technology?

Because this is just the tip of the iceberg for the stupidity that lurks in my school.

I personally dislike the android OS. I'm sitting here on a ipad 2 that we got for free. I'm 14 and I'm no where near considered spoiled compared to some people in my school. I managed to get a smart phone, a Lumia 735 which I love. $40 with contract and 6gbs a month but in have wifi nearly everywhere I go.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

after we would not GIVE her another drive she said she would never shop here again and left. but came back an hour later because best buy sold the same hdd for $225 or so. but the next time she let us install it.I did not laugh until she was out of the store like a true professional.

I would have really liked to see her face when she came back.

People actually do this:

684v86.jpg

Dell Inspiron 7520 15R: Cpu: Intel Core i7 3612QM @2.10Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Storage: 1TB 5400RPM HDD, Os: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit EP1;

Lenovo Yoga 11e Chromebook: Cpu: Intel Celeron N2930 @1.83Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3L 1333MHZ, Storage: 16GB eMMC, Os: Google Chrome Os;

snip

"Makes your USB faster bro!"

^^^

My friend said this to me...

Me:

VVV

QRy5ARv_700wa_0.gif

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

"Makes your USB faster bro!"

I am amazed at the bullshit that non-techies come up with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Just wondering if my school is just stupid or is this generation doomed:

Do the kids at your high school call the tower a "hard drive" and not know what a flash drive is? Do they buy iphones on purpose without a reason to not get an android? [yeah, yeah,ease of use] [mine was a gift]. Do they then go around and brag about how much they know about technology?

Because this is just the tip of the iceberg for the stupidity that lurks in my school.

My mum refers to my gaming PC as a "hard drive"

It may have 2TB but still...

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I am amazed at the bullshit that non-techies come up with.

I know.... But uh.... It's hard for me to help him, he's kinda selfish.... So it's hard to give information to him.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

My mom refers to my computers as boxes...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

My mom refers to my computers as boxes...

well yeh, ur case is still just a metal box 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I had my PC  on my table, and my grandfather asked me what it was. (He was taking a look at my whole setup), and I couldn't find an easy way to explain to him that it was the actual PC, and I nearly ended up saying that it was the Hard Drive xD

People actually do this:

*snip*

... wait what? .. but I ... huh .... 

me right now ;

HurrjOo.gif

Not sure if I've posted this already but oh well if I have...

Around Jan/Feb last year while I was out of the house, my dad decided to buy a new laptop. Before I left at some point we briefly spoke about what he should get. I told him to stick with a light ultrabook of some kind. Avoid wasting money on those touchscreen models and stick with an i5 (all he does is use Office and IE). I come back home from term to find he's spent £1.7k on a "hybrid" Sony Vaio where the keyboard folds behind the screen with an i7.

Not sure if I've posted this already but oh well if I have...

Around Jan/Feb last year while I was out of the house, my dad decided to buy a new laptop. Before I left at some point we briefly spoke about what he should get. I told him to stick with a light ultrabook of some kind. Avoid wasting money on those touchscreen models and stick with an i5 (all he does is use Office and IE). I come back home from term to find he's spent £1.7k on a "hybrid" Sony Vaio where the keyboard folds behind the screen with an i7.

1.7K£ = Good Average Gaming PC (i think)

(I mean that with that money you can build an average gaming pc, not that a 1,7k£ PC is a average gaming pc)

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

1.7K£ = Good Average Gaming PC (i think)

(I mean that with that money you can build an average gaming pc, not that a 1,7k£ PC is a average gaming pc)

Average? Really? In my mind that's high end. Sli 980 ti's with an i7 if you want. Unless you include peripherals like a gaming monitor I guess..