Experiences with non-techies

Umm, kind of.  They are pretty low-end spec-wise, but they run a completely different OS (though chromeos should be able to run android apps soon enough, which is awesome) and they have a different target market and "usage recommendations".  They are computers, albeit not one that has a fully-fledged os.  I actually think chromebooks are really cool, I might get one as my old laptop just died and all I need it for is interwebz and streaming from my pc.  Anyone else like chromebooks?  Anyone?  Oh, alright then.

I use mine as a light portable for typing up in class and messing around in Linux.

I put a decal? on mine:

Etco6fI.jpg

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I'm guessing this belongs here...

A common trend I've seen in the common people here is that they bucnch all radiation under one term and assume all radiation is harmful and somehow use this to link cellphone usage to the rate incidence of cancer and birth defects...

Lets just say that I go into an internal dialogue long enough to keep me occupied for over an hour...

My mom said her work PC was fast because it had windows 8. Kindda right and wrong. My mom is into software not hardware so I had her send me the specs. They are running i7-4790s, 16gbs of ram all in 512gb Samsung 850 Evos. Yeah of course it's fast.. No GPU as the work they do are only CPU intensive.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I'm guessing this belongs here...

A common trend I've seen in the common people here is that they bucnch all radiation under one term and assume all radiation is harmful and somehow use this to link cellphone usage to the rate incidence of cancer and birth defects...

Lets just say that I go into an internal dialogue long enough to keep me occupied for over an hour...

Ah, the good old fear mongering news headlines of new tech being bad... The only reason it's done, is to drive the news sales up, because it just sells.

Also unfortunately many people lack understanding on basic physics. I mean, yeah... In a way, microwave, infrared, and ultraviolet radiations (when only listing non-ionizing radiation, and not the blatanly obvious ionizing radiation) are harmful, but only if they are strong enough. And the amount of microwave and infrared radiation coming from a phone is pitiful, it has practically no effect for human bodies.

But I guess you knew this already. Maybe not quite people being non-techies, but lacking understanding of basic physics.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Some programs don't properly release resources back to the OS when they are closed. Also more of a problem when programs crash. It's not common at all in .NET or Java programs due to their garbage collection, but it can happen. Mostly anything that doesn't have proper resource management

I know, but after a process has been killed windows (or any modern operating system) should recognize it and free any memory that is still allocated by that program. If closing chrome doesn't do the trick, manually killing all its processes in task manager should. Also, chrome by default remains open in the background when you close it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My friend bought i7-5960X (because I was having conversation with him about this CPU).

I told him that i7-4790K was enough, more than enough.

He didn't care, bought 5960X.

He played a game, it lagged.

"Why?"
"Let me check, your rig is awesome dude...."

He only bought 5960X, he paired it with R7 240 (he hasn't upgraded this), because this was actually his PC upgrade.

He'd bought the motherboard though, so at least he bought the right board (I thought he was going to force the CPU into the CPU socket).

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My friend bought i7-5960X (because I was having conversation with him about this CPU).

I told him that i7-4790K was enough, more than enough.

He didn't care, bought 5960X.

He played a game, it lagged.

"Why?"

"Let me check, your rig is awesome dude...."

He only bought 5960X, he paired it with R7 240 (he hasn't upgraded this).

He'd bought the motherboard though, so at least he bought the right board (I thought he was going to force the CPU into the CPU socket).

He got the budget backwards, about 2/3rds-ish for gpu and then 1/3rd-ish for everything else, not 2/3rds for cpu. :P

Earlier this week I was installing my FX 8120 since it came a day early then it was supposed to, so I was like, "Why not? The Athlon in it isn't needed anymore." So as I was installing the evo 212 after installing the 8120, my brother walked in the room, then pointed at the cooler, and asked, "That's the power supply, right..?"

That reminds me of my rig before vash...i5 750 with a gts 240.  <.<  Guess which did most of the work?  e.e

I had a i5 650 and HD 5550. I kind've miss the i5 tbh. Eh, one of my friends uses it now.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I know, but after a process has been killed windows (or any modern operating system) should recognize it and free any memory that is still allocated by that program. If closing chrome doesn't do the trick, manually killing all its processes in task manager should. Also, chrome by default remains open in the background when you close it.

No. When an application is closed, it needs to allocate the memory back to the OS itself. The OS itself can't just 'free' any memory it used, because the OS doesn't know if it's still in use or if it's really free.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

No. When an application is closed, it needs to allocate the memory back to the OS itself. The OS itself can't just 'free' any memory it used, because the OS doesn't know if it's still in use or if it's really free.

wikipedia (under "effects") seems to disagree - unless I'm reading it wrong. That's also what I was told in the last programming course, although it's possible the memory leaks we were discussing of were so small they weren't a problem for the os. The OS knows exactly which process requested which memory addresses, so if a process is terminated fully and correctly in theory the OS should be able to know the memory allocated to that process is not needed anymore. But if you have better sources that say otherwise, please post them so I can understand better :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

spent about 2 days picking a good laptop for a good friend of mine. really thought out the laptop i chose and it seemed to be the best option overall.

find out later she completely disregarded all my advice, turns out she bought one of those retina macbooks. it was about 700 euro's over her budget "but it's fine because with apple you get what you pay for."

u srs?

spent about 2 days picking a good laptop for a good friend of mine. really thought out the laptop i chose and it seemed to be the best option overall.

find out later she completely disregarded all my advice, turns out she bought one of those retina macbooks. it was about 700 euro's over her budget "but it's fine because with apple you get what you pay for."

u srs?

Apple people are like that! PcMasterRace!!!

HAHAHAHAH

-Svoboman!

He got the budget backwards, about 2/3rds-ish for gpu and then 1/3rd-ish for everything else, not 2/3rds for cpu. :P

That's how you're supposed to put the budget together? 

I have a budget in my mind, put a whole bunch of parts together based on a few specific rules, and then refine until it hits that required budget

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

That reminds me of my rig before vash...i5 750 with a gts 240. <.< Guess which did most of the work? e.e

The GTS 240?

/s

A coworker of mine asked if I can look at her lagging phone. Now she thinks someone's spying on her because she had 32-tabs open without her knowledge. I'm like... whut? 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Na, the difference isn't that big...

attachicon.gifUS to EUR.PNG

hmmmm. it was a bigger difference a couple of days before. then again I would have converted it into £ then $ rather than $ to €

This one time I was sitting at my computer typing; "This one time I was sitting at my computer typing; This one time I was sitting at my computer typing; "This one time I was sitting at my computer typing; "This one time I was sitting at my computer typing; This one time I was sitting at my computer typing;

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

OH MY GOD IM DYING

2 about me:

1) I was at a mom's friend and her husband told me that defragmentating a hdd will speedup a PC, guess who's laptop hdd had to be replaced 2 months after that(defrag every 2 days because of shitty Thinkpad edge's i3 370M) :D

2) I didn't know about thermal paste around 2010 so when I cleaned the PC, I removed the thermal paste (from 2007, never changed) and so the pc ran without any problems, even with a bit OC( cel 430, the mobo could go up to 7! GHz, just typed 999 in multiplier and it went to around 7 ghz, no I was scared not to fry the pc, so I left it at~2 ghz)

Bonus: I tried every GPU overclock program to try OC my laptop's iGPU(arrandale shit- 370m) so I could play NFS:HP 2010

Lucky me: I always clean my PC with vacuum cleaner, my dad also and we haven't had any dead components or problems, list of PCs cleaned with vacuum cleaner : 1995 daewoo, the 2007 pc from above, my 600€ 2012-2013 pc and the thinkpad from 2010-2011. All are working perfectly fine.

Sry if any typos, English is not my native language.

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

Luckily my family isn't really technologically retarded, so I don't have any problems with this stuff. My mother who is like 53 has no problem getting around a computer, I may have to explain something to her once or twice but after that I don't have to explain it to her again. 

Luckily my family isn't really technologically retarded, so I don't have any problems with this stuff. My mother who is like 53 has no problem getting around a computer, I may have to explain something to her once or twice but after that I don't have to explain it to her again. 

Sorta the same, my dad's side is fairly tech savy but my moms side (including my mom) can barely operate a television.

A few days ago my grandmother (on my dad's side) actually got a smartphone and all I had to help her with was setting up her email and google account since she never had one before