Experiences with non-techies

Not sure if I've posted this already but oh well if I have...

Around Jan/Feb last year while I was out of the house, my dad decided to buy a new laptop. Before I left at some point we briefly spoke about what he should get. I told him to stick with a light ultrabook of some kind. Avoid wasting money on those touchscreen models and stick with an i5 (all he does is use Office and IE). I come back home from term to find he's spent £1.7k on a "hybrid" Sony Vaio where the keyboard folds behind the screen with an i7.

Around Jan/Feb last year while I was out of the house, my dad decided to buy a new laptop. Before I left at some point we briefly spoke about what he should get. I told him to stick with a light ultrabook of some kind. Avoid wasting money on those touchscreen models and stick with an i5 (all he does is use Office and IE). I come back home from term to find he's spent £1.7k on a "hybrid" Sony Vaio where the keyboard folds behind the screen with an i7.

1.7K£ = Good Average Gaming PC (i think)

(I mean that with that money you can build an average gaming pc, not that a 1,7k£ PC is a average gaming pc)

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

(I mean that with that money you can build an average gaming pc, not that a 1,7k£ PC is a average gaming pc)

Average? Really? In my mind that's high end. Sli 980 ti's with an i7 if you want. Unless you include peripherals like a gaming monitor I guess..

Average?  I don't think anyone who could build(assemble) their own system couldn't make a blazing fast gaming computer for that.

Mind you if you added completely unneccesary things like gold plated fittings(is water cooling actually required these days?) you could get to that sort of money but I would get a computer worth that not an art piece that performed half as good

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Average? Really? In my mind that's high end. Sli 980 ti's with an i7 if you want. Unless you include peripherals like a gaming monitor I guess..

Average?  I don't think anyone who could build(assemble) their own system couldn't make a blazing fast gaming computer for that.

Mind you if you added completely unneccesary things like gold plated fittings(is water cooling actually required these days?) you could get to that sort of money but I would get a computer worth that not an art piece that performed half as good

Wasn't sure, because pricing.

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Wasn't sure, because pricing.

For reference, that comes to around $2.5k. Could make an even better computer in the US with it. :P (We Brits get overcharged comparatively to Americans.)

For reference, that comes to around $2.5k. Could make an even better computer in the US with it. :P (We Brits get overcharged comparatively to Americans.)

And portugal, geez (but spain, spain, I SAW A 980 FOR LIKE 1K€, LIKE WOT?)

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

A former friend tried to install MSI afteburner on an Acer Aspire V5. I told him he needed a desktop GPU for it to work properly. He said he DID have a DESKTOP r9 280  even though the card is bigger than the entire device and Windows shows the Intel Graphics Control Pannel. Not a trace of AMD in sight other than an attempted download of Catalyst 14.12

Keyword: FORMER Friend

Yesterday, he said his $300 laptop is faster than my $630 PC

I said "Prove it"

He started TF2 and he said he got 34 FPS with alll of the settings at minumum. 

I got 200 FPS with all of the setting cranked.

"Well the human eye can't see above 60 fps anyways."

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

I am amazed at the bullshit that non-techies come up with.

Blast Processing.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

My dad leaves his computer on 24/7 and complains when its slow or loud.

Sounds like it's time for a cleaning...

My dad leaves his computer on 24/7 and complains when its slow or loud.

That shouldn't matter, I leave my computer on 24/7 and it doesn't get slow.

I do have to log out and log back in from time to time to get some of the ram Chrome does not give me back some times.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Office and internet browsing?! You could have gotten away with an i3 and maybe have the touch screen as a luxury...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The time when my mom told me not to buy extra RAM because, quoting her, "It makes your PC slower".

My brain died on that day while trying to find any signs of logic in that statement.

(I got extra RAM anyway)

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

That shouldn't matter, I leave my computer on 24/7 and it doesn't get slow.

I do have to log out and log back in from time to time to get some of the ram Chrome does not give me back some times.

I have to reboot it everyday because my PC's RAM usage just kept climbing and climbing and after 2 days, it used up nearly 90% of my PC's 16GB of RAM, and I couldn't find what was causing it.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Some bloke had broken his PC, and he asked on facebook about what processor he's using when on his picture it clearly said Anthlon X4 630. He deducts that his CPU needs to be replaced without further investigation besides saying that the damn thing overheated before. When people said that it could be something else, like VRM, he then asked if he needed to replace his RAM

Goodness gracious

Office and internet browsing?! You could have gotten away with an i3 and maybe have the touch screen as a luxury...

He won't accept an i3. Says they're too slow so I say get an i5. He barely ever uses the touchscreen so it was pointless to get. In fact, the device has a terrible touchpad. Like 2 inches from top to bottom and like 4 across. Just a miserable experience I'm pretty sure.

I have to reboot it everyday because my PC's RAM usage just kept climbing and climbing and after 2 days, it used up nearly 90% of my PC's 16GB of RAM, and I couldn't find what was causing it.

#freshinstall #virus #govermentspying

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Well everyone think that getting more ram makes computer generally faster and that's the solution of slowness.