Experiences with non-techies

Gorilla warfare?  Is that when you fling turds and banana peels at your opponents to assert dominance?

Huh? I didn't say anything about gorilla warfare.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

A quadcopter is considered a drone when it is able to fly autonomously, like the DJI Phantom 2. You can set waypoints and have it fly by itself.

Well it's putting anything that flies autonomously in a category that's not necessarily positive.

Ask someone from Iraq about drones and he'll get scared, ask a hobbyist about drones and he'll be happy.

Why not call things by their name, a quadcopter uses propellors, whilst a RC jet might use other means of thrust. Drones of American proportions are quite different in a lot of ways, so yeah.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

It's part of the original.

Oh, didn't realize you were referring to the contents of the link.

Gotcha, my mind was not on track there.  :D

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well it's putting anything that flies autonomously in a category that's not necessarily positive.

Ask someone from Iraq about drones and he'll get scared, ask a hobbyist about drones and he'll be happy.

Why not call things by their name, a quadcopter uses propellors, whilst a RC jet might use other means of thrust. Drones of American proportions are quite different in a lot of ways, so yeah.

I have to agree with you on that. Drone is an umbrella term, but these things need to be relabeled for general use. But in a PC (politically,*bs* correct) society we tend to group things together, unfortunately. The POTUS does this way to much for things he doesn't understand, which pretty much covers/includes everything.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

how is that even possible? all it probably does is trick your current RAM into thinking it is a greater amount of RAM than it actually is, or it just uses your hard drive as RAM which is totally ineffecient anyways

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard MSI B550 | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengance Pro | GPU EVGA GTX 980ti | Case Corsair 4000X | Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,  Team GX2 1TB SSD | PSU Sentey 850w 80+ Bronze | Cooling AMD Wraith RGB | PCPartPicker URL https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RN7kGc |

good. hes 12. go mow lawns

-bought my own pc from trading up and doing yardwork(others, not my own) and hardwork. computers are a luxury. How I see it as if its enough to do schoolwork, your parents have zero obligation to give you anything more. 

/old man rant of a 18 year old

I always feel lucky that my dad is a gamer who always made sure my sister and I had our own computers to play on (partly so that we wouldn't fight, I guess).

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

how is that even possible? all it probably does is trick your current RAM into thinking it is a greater amount of RAM than it actually is, or it just uses your hard drive as RAM which is totally ineffecient anyways

you need to have an SSD or empty RAM stick for it to work.

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

So this one time my friend has a GTX 970 installed in his computer with a AMD Athlon ii X4. And i want to play Arma 3 with him but he doesn't because he says it is laggy and he needs a new GPU for his computer... then I face palmed.

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard MSI B550 | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengance Pro | GPU EVGA GTX 980ti | Case Corsair 4000X | Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,  Team GX2 1TB SSD | PSU Sentey 850w 80+ Bronze | Cooling AMD Wraith RGB | PCPartPicker URL https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RN7kGc |

you need to have an SSD or empty RAM stick for it to work.

is an empty ram stick even a thing?

I always feel lucky that my dad is a gamer who always made sure my sister and I had our own computers to play on (partly so that we wouldn't fight, I guess).

grew up in a family of 7, 4 boys. the logical answer is a console at that point. 4 budget PCs at the time are 600$ each. thats 2400 in just hardware. then another 240$ for every game that comes out? thats INSAINE. or just 400 upfront then a bunch of 60$ games that we can all share.

we did have 3 pcs though. I always got hand me down parts growing up until I was 14ish, then I bought my own. I had my own pc since before I could read, so was lucky in that aspect. 

You're being trolled. 

I kinda felt like it... downloading RAM just seems like a way to get viruses on your computer

So this one time my friend has a GTX 970 installed in his computer with a AMD Athlon ii X4. And i want to play Arma 3 with him but he doesn't because he says it is laggy and he needs a new GPU for his computer... then I face palmed.

Truth be told, Arma is a crappy game efficiency-wise...

It can run great on a crappy PC and play horribly on a good one, depending on all sorts of factors like the server (yes the server can make the difference in fps)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Truth be told, Arma is a crappy game efficiency-wise...

It can run great on a crappy PC and play horribly on a good one, depending on all sorts of factors like the server (yes the server can make the difference in fps)

i facepalmed cause he said he needs a new gpu when his poor gpu is being held back by his crappy CPU

grew up in a family of 7, 4 boys. the logical answer is a console at that point. 4 budget PCs at the time are 600$ each. thats 2400 in just hardware. then another 240$ for every game that comes out? thats INSAINE. or just 400 upfront then a bunch of 60$ games that we can all share.

we did have 3 pcs though. I always got hand me down parts growing up until I was 14ish, then I bought my own. I had my own pc since before I could read, so was lucky in that aspect. 

Ah, I only have one sibling. We got hand-me-downs of my dad's old rigs when we were little, but I got my first brand new rig back in 2009 when the graphics card in my old computer blew out. My sister got her first new rig after a power surge crippled my dad's old Falcon Northwest (which was having issues ever since we first got it, but it eventually gave out after that surge). And then she got a laptop for school, and a few months ago I was handed a budget of $2000 to do my own research for a new computer.

We have a few consoles, but they don't see much use anymore.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Ah, I only have one sibling. We got hand-me-downs of my dad's old rigs when we were little, but I got my first brand new rig back in 2009 when the graphics card in my old computer blew out. My sister got her first new rig after a power surge crippled my dad's old Falcon Northwest (which was having issues ever since we first got it, but it eventually gave out after that surge). And then she got a laptop for school, and a few months ago I was handed a budget of $2000 to do my own research for a new computer.

We have a few consoles, but they don't see much use anymore.

holy shit. must be nice to only have one sibling then. I guess my parents spent more than that on just games for the xbox alone, (pushing 150 games across original and 360, not all new, but most) so. but for my personal pc, started from the bottom with a hd 6670, and traded up to dual 7970s with only spending 50$

It's not stupid, if it works. Still funny though

aep6Yz5_460s.jpg

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

It's not stupid, if it works. Still funny though

aep6Yz5_460s.jpg

Sir/ma'am, that made my day.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

holy shit. must be nice to only have one sibling then. I guess my parents spent more than that on just games for the xbox alone, (pushing 150 games across original and 360, not all new, but most) so. but for my personal pc, started from the bottom with a hd 6670, and traded up to dual 7970s with only spending 50$

It has its benefits, up until they leave for college and you're stuck doing the yardwork alone in the god-awful southern delta heat.

<_<  <_<  <_<

Did you read the print at the very bottom of the site? 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It has its benefits, up until they leave for college and you're stuck doing the yardwork alone in the god-awful southern delta heat.

....me and my dad built a 6 foot high 20 foot long retaining wall out of broken concrete, then backfilled it with 40+ yards of dirt that we got 2-3 yards at a a time. Luckily it doesn't get southern hot here 

....me and my dad built a 6 foot high 20 foot long retaining wall out of broken concrete, then backfilled it with 40+ yards of dirt that we got 2-3 yards at a a time. Luckily it doesn't get southern hot here 

Ah, the heat index where I live usually stays above 100F and the humidity tends to be very high. I feel that we've strayed waaay off topic though, haha.

<_<  <_<  <_<

Did you read the print at the very bottom of the site? 

no thanks, thats actually pretty funny

Thinking you can buy a good PC for $200 USD.

Challenge accepted?

Because that's the budget for my next project...

Hint: It's an APU... with a cheap case and PSU... and a recycled HDD... running on Linux...

it's good for something... but definitely not for hardcore gaming...

Seriously though...

Some people really expect top tier performance when they get a cheapo PC...

or when they splurge on a prebuilt 'gaming' PC with an i7 paired with a 730...

Heck, I'd want to hate on people buying prebuilts altogether, but prebuilts have the convenience factor... especially if you're too busy to assemble and  troubleshoot on your own...