Experiences with non-techies

Okay, well I just had to explain to my parents why they're computer caught on fire (Yes caught on fire #BlameDell) b/c their poor thermal contact between the processor and heatsink; it was like trying to teach a dog how to read 

Okay, well I just had to explain to my parents why they're computer caught on fire (Yes caught on fire #BlameDell) b/c their poor thermal contact between the processor and heatsink; it was like trying to teach a dog how to read 

This is new...

How did it catch fire from that??

The last PC fire I heard about was when a battery pack exploded because the owner used an off-brand third party charger with his laptop (2-3 days ago... local...)... and it burned down his house...

What, did Dell stick some kerosene into their thermal compound? *Stares at X51 intensely*

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

What, did Dell stick some kerosene into their thermal compound? *Stares at X51 intensely*
Well maybe you shouldnt rag on dell. They are a great company and nope... this is way to painful.

Not exactly an experience with a non-techie, but today while I was out to lunch, my 2 year old cousin (whom I despise primarily for his ability to have screaming fits for at least 30 minutes at a time when he doesn't get his way) was allowed to swing my beloved Origin edition Razer Taipan around the house...
kick-the-baby-o.gif

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

This is new...

How did it catch fire from that??

The last PC fire I heard about was when a battery pack exploded because the owner used an off-brand third party charger with his laptop (2-3 days ago... local...)... and it burned down his house...

it had the worst thermal compound in the world just saying xD, I looked at what was left, the battery was almost dead so thank god no huge fire, It was a few years ago now I do remember seeing the thermal pastish color only on a small part of the CPU; they also sent a refurbished unit in compensation; if that shit happened now adays I'd be like "No,no,no I could have caught on fire, give me a XPS13 with a i7, 8GB of RAM, 512GB SSD n 3k display ect, but I'm convinced they did stick some Kerosene into it xD It wasn't a cheep laptop either, if I remember it was a 6 core @ 1.33GHz up to 2.1 or something, they don't make them anymore couldn't even find it. funny as hell though

My grandfather thought that he had to leave his desktop on in order to get emails on his phone, and all his emails were stored on his hard drive

There's some logic there at least. I've dealt with people that believe the mail goes to their Outlook and then syncs to their phone but it doesn't occur to them that maybe they should leave the computer on if that's the case (this isn't the case but can you see how their logic is flawed compared to your grandfather?).

People in many Indonesian tech forums still refer to Radeon GPUs as ATI and that makes me cringe. And whenever they want a PC built with a certain amount of money and they call it a CPU, I just show 'em a CPU with the aforementioned price and told them that they said  CPU and not a PC when they asked. 

Yesterday I was having back and forth with someone in comments under Jayztwocents AMD build video. He was dead set that because he used NVIDIA GPU it no way can be called AMD build, by my logic you are building the PC with AMD CPU on AMD platform so the GPU is kinda irrelevant because GPUs can be changed really quickly. I understand that with AMD GPU it would be ''pure'' AMD build but still. Your thoughts guys and gals ?

It seems like matter of opinion, but I want to hear your thoughts.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Yesterday I was having back and forth with someone in comments under Jayztwocents AMD build video. He was dead set that because he used NVIDIA GPU it no way can be called AMD build, by my logic you are building the PC with AMD CPU on AMD platform so the GPU is kinda irrelevant because GPUs can be changed really quickly. I understand that with AMD GPU it would be ''pure'' AMD build but still. Your thoughts guys and gals ?

It's on an AMD platform, it's an AMD build. I personally base it on the most basic part

It's on an AMD platform, it's an AMD build. I personally base it on the most basic part

That's my logic aswell. But some of the people still have the urge to bitch and moan because of the GPU. I don't get it.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

It's mostly an AMD build if the chipset and processor are AMD.  The GPU could be either, and just be a booster for the AMD build.  I'd say the chipset and processor=biggest.

Yep, you see it the same way as me and nekomata. It's usually stupid to argue in YT comments but I was intrigued to see his reasons. He was talking about how it's a mixed build and can't be called AMD build just because of the GPU. I would normally just wave my hand and go on with life, but I was actually really curious if LTT people see it the same way as I do.  

It's probably kinda gray area though.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I'd say it's a hybrid AMD/Nvidia computer. I think only AMD CPUs and GPUs can really be called pure AMD rigs

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I'd say it's a hybrid AMD/Nvidia computer. I think only AMD CPUs and GPUs can really be called pure AMD rigs

True, my reasoning was that you CAN call it AMD build. The people we're butthurt because of the GPU saying how it's not an AMD build etc. So the CPU and whole platform is what ? Fuckin' horse on a rollercoaster ? He had choice between 290 or 980 with waterblocks and it wasn't build for him nor YT, he explained that in the video. People we're saying stuff like he should of buy different GPU and waterblock, even though it was just a vlogy video for entertainment of a build for someone. I was just curious if people on LTT see this the way I do meaning CPU+MOBO = can be called AMD build that's all. :)

And yeah I will stop the SPAM now, sorry. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Shitty Twitch chat/Youtube comments include:

• Rampant Swearing
  • Non-sense that is just plain stupid
  • Some prick saying how they did your mom
  • Pushy dicks who insist they're a hacker/soldier and can find out where you live
  • Blatant anger and frustration over practically nothing
  • Misspelling and lazy typing
I was modding a chat on twitch for a girl I know and she was raided by 4chan......

Never banned so many people in my life [emoji50], but kinda funny to see how low someone would go to try to insult someone

I was modding a chat on twitch for a girl I know and she was raided by 4chan......

Never banned so many people in my life [emoji50], but kinda funny to see how low someone would go to try to insult someone

Any screenshot?

Any screenshot?

No didn't take any but the chat all really said was blank was timed out..... For about 30 mins straight until they gave up

Yeah... Twitch raids might seem like a good thing, that is until they start spamming insults in chat.

I'm no moderator myself on any channel (I had a chance to become one, but I consider myself to not be responsible enough for such), but one small stream where I'm a regular at (3 - 6 viewers, mostly regulars to the channel like me) once got a 3 person "raid" from "TPP" ("Twitch Plays Pokémon"), and most of them started insulting at the streamer for not using a microphone (she never talks on stream. Only uses text-based chat), and I was trying to ask them why are they doing this, I quickly figured out (thanks to another regular) that I'm just feeding the trolls. Thankfully, they left after maybe 15 minutes, because it was a "boring stream" to them, that "doesn't listen to the audience". The rest of us considered them to be trolls.

So... Yeah. 3 people managed to cause commotion in chat.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

you can get an okay PSU for 40 euros. Not dollars. There is a pretty big difference right now.

Na, the difference isn't that big...

post-153476-0-83857400-1436791076.png

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

Na, the difference isn't that big...

attachicon.gifUS to EUR.PNG

It has went up that much again? Damn. Last time I remembered the value differences, it was almost literally 1 Euro = 1 USD...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

It has went up that much again? Damn. Last time I remembered the value differences, it was almost literally 1 Euro = 1 USD...

#€4lyf

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Not exactly an experience with a non-techie, but today while I was out to lunch, my 2 year old cousin (whom I despise primarily for his ability to have screaming fits for at least 30 minutes at a time when he doesn't get his way) was allowed to swing my beloved Origin edition Razer Taipan around the house...

I'm so sorry ;(

My condolences go out to you, and you are in my prayers.

xD, glad it still works. It's a miracle ;)

My godfather's PC was slow and yesterday morning he called me and asked if I could reinstall Windows on his machine, I said I will come around 3pm. I came to my godparents house and my cousin said that godfather took the pc and it's now in a repair shop. And I'm like "wut?".

Long story short: my godfather decided that it's a RAM issue so he wanted more ram and put DDR400 sticks in a DDR2 board. Now he needs a new motherboard. He's a non-techie

Sorry for my bad English!
i5-4590 | Sabertooth Z97 mk2 | Intel HD 4600 | ADATA XPG V1 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Intel 530 120GB | Cooler Master N600 | Seasonic G-450 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Win8.1 Pro x64

Just found this...

IWo01.jpg

Pd1XpOR_700wa_0.gif

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

One of my clients asked me to download him some more RAM...

My reaction:

T1zr7.gif?1318992465

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

From my experience when a non techie person has a computer problem related to the power supply (like if their computer wasn't turning on), they always assume that some sort of "battery" inside the tower has run out of charge. And btw this is almost for every non techie person I meet with a power issue. 

Dell Inspiron 7520 15R: Cpu: Intel Core i7 3612QM @2.10Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Storage: 1TB 5400RPM HDD, Os: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit EP1;

Lenovo Yoga 11e Chromebook: Cpu: Intel Celeron N2930 @1.83Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3L 1333MHZ, Storage: 16GB eMMC, Os: Google Chrome Os;