Experiences with non-techies

He said Windows Media Player and you dont have WMP on Macs!!

-snip-

Let's not reply to stuff over 2 weeks old mmkay?

This one time I was in class ( college mind you), and my teacher was explaining how here MacBook charger was kinda sketchy now since the grounding rod got jammed and it basically got ripped out of the plug. Well in the explanation she used the phrase "male end" and this girl, no. WOMAN, who was like late 20's maybe 30 just could not understand the concept of why it was called a male end.-_- I just turned around and gave her one of those " are you ****ing kidding me" stares. Then she was like no seriously I don't understand. Me and the teacher had to basically explain the birds and the bees to a woman for her to try to understand it. In the end she still didn't get it and the teacher just ended up playing dumb and agreeing with her that it didn't make sense..... And then in another class a woman refused to sign up for a gmail account because she didn't want to put a virus on the school computers

It is what it is

My school's filters are WAY too easy to bypass. all you have to do is open up the command prompt (yes, its not blocked), ping the website you want to go to, and then enter the IP into the address bar.

That sounds fun. We're pretty much locked down in that sense but a couple of days ago, the 'network' was running so slowly (probably a server thermal throttling or something - and the tech guy, who's awesome, had apparently been spending all week trying to diagnose/fix), that the restrictions software Impero (that also allows screencasting from the 'teacher computer' for whatever we were doing in Access) was crashing out.

Sig under construction.

That sounds fun. We're pretty much locked down in that sense but a couple of days ago, the 'network' was running so slowly (probably a server thermal throttling or something - and the tech guy, who's awesome, had apparently been spending all week trying to diagnose/fix), that the restrictions software Impero (that also allows screencasting from the 'teacher computer' for whatever we were doing in Access) was crashing out.

The computer "genius" at my school is pretty much pathetic. She's really nice, but she has no idea what she's talking about.

If you boot to the network on one of our school computers, It will ask you for an admin password, and then take you to a place where you can re-image (OS reinstall but with all the junk the district puts on it) the system. Whenever a computer is slow or anything, thats what she does. Even on the old computers in our school. The ones with Pentium 4s and 1gb of ram, some with 512mb of ram. Of course, she chooses the Windows 7 distribution that runs slow as crap. When right there, in the menu, is a Windows XP distribution, that would run a lot better on the old computers. I tried explaining that to her, but she didn't understand.

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

BTW im 14 also

Well there's your problem. It isn't that she doesn't understand, she just doesn't respect your opinion to listen to it in the first place.

Me:  *Upstate at a friend's for the weekend sending a text to my dad*  "I am getting a fragile PC component in the mail today.  It is out for delivery, so be very careful with it"  If you are wondering the new processor for Otaku is finally being delivered...the one day I'm not there!  Fuck you USPS!

Dad: "Did you order nitroglycerin?"

Me:  "No, it is a processor if 1 pin gets bent....I'm screwed!"

Dad: "Whatever, I'm pretending it is nitroglycerin"

Not sure if he is messing with me, or sad that I'm a nerd.  <.<  I hate having a therapist for a parent.

This gives me an idea...

Ship all your PC parts with labels saying : "CAUTION: NITROGLYCERIN" maybe that will make the handlers think twice before playing basketball with your package...

Well there's your problem. It isn't that she doesn't understand, she just doesn't respect your opinion to listen to it in the first place.

Yeah. I wish that everyone could treat each other just as people. I guess I'm pretty lucky that the school listens to me and stuff (but still truly disappoints me and my mother) - the management is terrible.

Sig under construction.

It was all good, until I read "Don't cheap out on the PSU. It should cost about $30 to $40."    

*facedesk*

Ummm... 

untitle.JPG

Also, the PSU is the HEART of the system - pumping and providing all components with the life blood (power). The CPU is the BRAIN of the system, performing calculations, decisions and instructing all other components what to do. ;)

you can get an okay PSU for 40 euros. Not dollars. There is a pretty big difference right now.

Not exactly an experience with a non-techie, but today while I was out to lunch, my 2 year old cousin (whom I despise primarily for his ability to have screaming fits for at least 30 minutes at a time when he doesn't get his way) was allowed to swing my beloved Origin edition Razer Taipan around the house...

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Not exactly an experience with a non-techie, but today while I was out to lunch, my 2 year old cousin (whom I despise primarily for his ability to have screaming fits for at least 30 minutes at a time when he doesn't get his way) was allowed to swing my beloved Origin edition Razer Taipan around the house...

Counts. The people that forced you to allow it probably don't realise its value.

Counts. The people that forced you to allow it probably don't realise its value.

I was out to lunch when it happened, I only found out several hours later. I'm amazed it still works after being swung around by a baby.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

I was out to lunch when it happened, I only found out several hours later. I'm amazed it still works after being swung around by a baby.

My question is, who let's baby throw a mouse around ? That's stupid.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

My question is, who let's baby throw a mouse around ? That's stupid.

^^ this

My grandmother was the only person watching him at the time, so it was most likely her.

Cringing inwardly....

200.gif

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

My stepfather works in tech support and his clients are generally not the most tech-savvy persons on the earth.
Some dialog that actually happened to him:

(client calls him, seriously alarmed)
"Mr. __, I have deleted the internet."
ironically "I see! So that was you."

It turned out, he actually deleted the desktop shortcut for IE.

(he was standing behind a client, giving her instructions)
"Alright, close the window."

confused "The door as well?"

"Ok, but what does it say on the screen?"

"Dell."

"Mr. __, my printer doesn't work anymore."

"Is it turned on?"

"Of course it is turned on!"

"Ok then, turn it off, please."

"Now... now it's working again."

I run a small home based computer repair, service and custom build company in regina saskatchewan, and I was at a body shop trying to get my vehicle inspected after an uninsured accident (ya im dumb but i learned my mistake) so this was the first place i went to and i had pictures and the like on a flash drive.... neither the receptionist nore the business owner, the two people who HAD to use computers for their job could figure out how to plug this key shaped flash drive into their computers.... so needless to say i had to take my car elsewhere and the new place did an awesome job.... but they needed those same photos for theirs and the insurers records.... so the receptionist could plug in the flash drive.... no problems their.... but she didn't know how to use windows explorer to navigate to the flash drive.... or how to copy photos.... or where the my pictures folder was.... or how to make a folder..... and to top it off they had to be imported into a program.... a program that ive never used or heard of for that matter, and i had to walk her through the import process! AND SHE WAS ASIAN!

My grandmother was the only person watching him at the time, so it was most likely her.

I don't want to come off as douche or insult your grandma, but unplugged (I assume) mouse in hands of a 2 year old is accident waiting to happen. Long cable + plastic shell that can shatter.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

AND SHE WAS ASIAN!

Please don't make racist statements..... Not all asians are insanely smart.

This one time I was in class ( college mind you), and my teacher was explaining how here MacBook charger was kinda sketchy now since the grounding rod got jammed and it basically got ripped out of the plug. Well in the explanation she used the phrase "male end" and this girl, no. WOMAN, who was like late 20's maybe 30 just could not understand the concept of why it was called a male end. -_- I just turned around and gave her one of those " are you ****ing kidding me" stares. Then she was like no seriously I don't understand. Me and the teacher had to basically explain the birds and the bees to a woman for her to try to understand it. In the end she still didn't get it and the teacher just ended up playing dumb and agreeing with her that it didn't make sense..... And then in another class a woman refused to sign up for a gmail account because she didn't want to put a virus on the school computers

To be frank, I'm not surprised she's never been laid before...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

-snip-

AND SHE WAS ASIAN!

I'm guessing either adopted or did not grow in an Asian country

Das riceist man

Nowehere does it imply that Asians are automatically techies... I run into non-techies everyday and I'm Asian... in an Asian country...

I wrote out a huge post that ended up sounding stupid so ill only say this.

1 where im from we have a metric but tonne of foreign workers from the phillipenes and as you dont fit our rather closed minded farmer views of asians  we kind just put you in your own representative group. I have way more phillipino friends than any other asian group.

2 what few "proper asians" we get are all rich chinese exchange students here for university... and they tend to be rather... elitest. due to my areas farmer backgrounds... and only very recent expansion above the 1 million people mark for an area the size of mexico, we have a problem with both close mindedness and limited exposure.

so i do apologize, but i do stand by my statement even if its only valid in my region.  

I wrote out a huge post that ended up sounding stupid so ill only say this.

1 where im from we have a metric but tonne of foreign workers from the phillipenes and as you dont fit our rather closed minded farmer views of asians  we kind just put you in your own representative group. I have way more phillipino friends than any other asian group.

2 what few "proper asians" we get are all rich chinese exchange students here for university... and they tend to be rather... elitest. due to my areas farmer backgrounds... and only very recent expansion above the 1 million people mark for an area the size of mexico, we have a problem with both close mindedness and limited exposure.

so i do apologize, but i do stand by my statement even if its only valid in my region.  

I can understand your predesposition on OFWs... I've seen what they're going through myself...

(they're there because working here is unsustainable... you work over 8 hours a day (40++ hours a week), commute for more than 6 hours a day, sleep 4 hours, and do housework in between... your living expenses are almost always 5-10% above your take-home salary after taxes... all that work and you get paid a fraction of what you can earn for working abroad... a month's salary here can be earned in one to two weeks there... now add to the poor quality of education here... and you get your typical OFW....)

My grandfather thought that he had to leave his desktop on in order to get emails on his phone, and all his emails were stored on his hard drive

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

I can understand your predesposition on OFWs... I've seen what they're going through myself...

(they're there because working here is unsustainable... you work over 8 hours a day (40++ hours a week), commute for more than 6 hours a day, sleep 4 hours, and do housework in between... your living expenses are almost always 5-10% above your take-home salary after taxes... all that work and you get paid a fraction of what you can earn for working abroad... a month's salary here can be earned in one to two weeks there... now add to the poor quality of education here... and you get your typical OFW....)

yeah. Most of the OFW here work for Tim Hortons (A Canadian coffee shop) However One buddy of mine is in the army, another is in a para-military organization working in law enforcement, and another is with the vehicle salvage department of our insurance and license issuing authority... but they are a few successes amongst issues of passport holding, overworking, and a slue of other issues bordering on human rights violations.