Experiences with non-techies

DP Port, as in Display Port Port? :P

Reminds me of a very common mistake almost everyone makes: PIN code. Meaning Personal Identification Number code... Yeah

Here's mine from last monday after being offline for the weekend:

ECzCNmb.png

Almost all of it is from Dutch Talk xD

My favorite is "RAID array."

Redundant

Array

Independent 

Discs 

I work for the US Redundancy Department of Redundancy, and this one always gets the IT staff laughing.

Challenge accepted?

Because that's the budget for my next project...

Hint: It's an APU... with a cheap case and PSU... and a recycled HDD... running on Linux...

it's good for something... but definitely not for hardcore gaming...

Seriously though...

Some people really expect top tier performance when they get a cheapo PC...

or when they splurge on a prebuilt 'gaming' PC with an i7 paired with a 730...

Heck, I'd want to hate on people buying prebuilts altogether, but prebuilts have the convenience factor... especially if you're too busy to assemble and  troubleshoot on your own...

ikr. well at least my parents arent that gullible. also, if i may ask, what is it for? hacking the matrix? nas? steam in home streaming? Also I was at my friends house, and I was talking about shadow of mordor came out, and how the pc port doesnt trip balls. (I came there about a couple months ago to be exact, just so u all know. Then my other bestfriend (HARDCORE CONSOLEMASTERRACE SLAVE) comes in and says: oh, your one of those people. People who brag about mods so a pc is automatically better. Has the console community hate me now? am i there next target? or the next walmart? I dont know. Well mods and anti aliasing and quality control and freedom (expect if you live in the US you are NSA slaves).

Also, I was at a best buy, looking for a sata cable, and bam. I even called them, and asked if they even had a SATA cable. Yeah, its sata 3..... (in a sort of-reassuring and proud tone), but then she also asks me if i wanted some hp beats desktop crap. im like no. and then i hang up. so we drive there, i ask for a sata cable. that guy was like 0.0, as he thought because people are short, all of them are idiots. I wouldnt be an ass, as he is sort of multi racial (darker skin), and i dont need to seem to be a racist person. Anyways, he pointed to the back, which doesnt tell me anything besides go to the back. He sort of directed us to a vauge looking shelf, to a section with some low end gpus (gt610, gt630, gt640) etc... Anyways, We see the guy helping a girl get some hp garbage desktop envy thing, so we waited, and asked that guy again. He points us back to the place we where, and then we see some sata cables being restocked, so i splurge on them. First, they are like best buy exclusive no name piece of fuck, so you cant price match them. Second, its 8 FUCKING BUX!!!!!!! 3rd, it was

A SATA "3GB". THEY COULD HAVE SAID SORRY, ITS SATA II. BUT NOPE. JUST BEST BUY IDIOTS.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

If it can play minesweeper, it's a gaming pc.

If it can play minecraft, it's a beast.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

ikr. well at least my parents arent that gullible. also, if i may ask, what is it for? hacking the matrix? nas? steam in home streaming?

-tale of peasantry-

-tale of generic ignorance-

It's for very very light gaming (Sims 2, browser games, maybe some GTA San Andreas and Meinkraft)... and general purposes... so not much video editing... some photo editing... web browsing... office stuff...

I just need to bump security to eleven because the users are not that educated about security...

Meanwhile... I'm stuck with some networking gear that I bought in my early techie days... I needed to extend Wi-fi coverage so I relocated the access point to the center of the house...

a0Yj2BO_700b.jpg

That's actually pretty helpful for newcomers...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

WwlmaME_700wa_0.gif

^^^

Every time my friends need help about PC and call me....

I'll be like "I'M COMING!"

Every time.... I'm tired....

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

When my Dad said, if I translate from Spanish to english "should I have my CPUon top of a table or under it. He must've gotten confused between CPU and PC

And you get there only to hear "sorry man, I just brought this beastly $5000 rig with an i7 970 and a Nvidia GT 730". :P

I'll be like...

BRkj4jM_700wa_0.gif

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

a0Yj2BO_700b.jpg

It was all good, until I read "Don't cheap out on the PSU. It should cost about $30 to $40."    

*facedesk*

Ummm... 

untitle.JPG

Also, the PSU is the HEART of the system - pumping and providing all components with the life blood (power). The CPU is the BRAIN of the system, performing calculations, decisions and instructing all other components what to do. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

ikr. well at least my parents arent that gullible. also, if i may ask, what is it for? hacking the matrix? nas? steam in home streaming? Also I was at my friends house, and I was talking about shadow of mordor came out, and how the pc port doesnt trip balls. (I came there about a couple months ago to be exact, just so u all know. Then my other bestfriend (HARDCORE CONSOLEMASTERRACE SLAVE) comes in and says: oh, your one of those people. People who brag about mods so a pc is automatically better. Has the console community hate me now? am i there next target? or the next walmart? I dont know. Well mods and anti aliasing and quality control and freedom (expect if you live in the US you are NSA slaves).

Also, I was at a best buy, looking for a sata cable, and bam. I even called them, and asked if they even had a SATA cable. Yeah, its sata 3..... (in a sort of-reassuring and proud tone), but then she also asks me if i wanted some hp beats desktop crap. im like no. and then i hang up. so we drive there, i ask for a sata cable. that guy was like 0.0, as he thought because people are short, all of them are idiots. I wouldnt be an ass, as he is sort of multi racial (darker skin), and i dont need to seem to be a racist person. Anyways, he pointed to the back, which doesnt tell me anything besides go to the back. He sort of directed us to a vauge looking shelf, to a section with some low end gpus (gt610, gt630, gt640) etc... Anyways, We see the guy helping a girl get some hp garbage desktop envy thing, so we waited, and asked that guy again. He points us back to the place we where, and then we see some sata cables being restocked, so i splurge on them. First, they are like best buy exclusive no name piece of fuck, so you cant price match them. Second, its 8 FUCKING BUX!!!!!!! 3rd, it was

A SATA "3GB". THEY COULD HAVE SAID SORRY, ITS SATA II. BUT NOPE. JUST BEST BUY IDIOTS.

There is no such thing as sata 1,2, or 3 cables, all the changes have been on the controllers and not the cables themselves.

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

It was all good, until I read "Don't cheap out on the PSU. It should cost about $30 to $40."    

*facedesk*

Ummm... 

untitle.JPG

Also, the PSU is the HEART of the system - pumping and providing all components with the life blood (power). The CPU is the BRAIN of the system, performing calculations, decisions and instructing all other components what to do. ;)

I would say the CPU is the lungs, and the CPU cooler is a copper heatsink that dissipates heat. Lel.

I would say the CPU is the hunk of sillicon with transistors formed into it. and the CPU cooler is a copper heatsink that dissipates heat. Lel.

I would say the CPU is the lungs, and the CPU cooler is a copper heatsink that dissipates heat. Lel.

Naw man, the lungs are the case fans. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

A 3 foot single link DVI cable is 30 DOLLARS at the best buy near me. Where you can get a longer verson of the same cable (insignia) for 6. Pretty big profit margin.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

One of those Redundancy's seems a bit redundant, if you ask me  :lol:

There is NEVER enough redundancy.

There is NEVER enough redundancy.

You should apply for a job at the Redundant Department of Redundancy Department Depot. I think they have openings for a career that they can employ you with in a free position so you have a job.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

You should apply for a job at the Redundant Department of Redundancy Department Depot. I think they have openings for a career that they can employ you with in a free position so you have a job.

Are they affiliated with the Redundancy Office of Redundancy INC?

Today on Today on Yahoo Answers:

yahoo.png

Was I being a dick about this....?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

With the going to library before closing thing; does she use a Mac? I know my Mac will reopen whichever folder I last had open which can be annoying and I often find myself going to home before closing stuff on windows because of this..

He said Windows Media Player and you dont have WMP on Macs!!

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech.Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them.I'll go first:So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago.My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

I remember I talked to this chick from New Zealand. Really nice girl, she ended up hating me after I told her about Jesus though and left. Anyways, I was talking to Intel's X99 platform and the glory of video editing on it with one of the CPUs available, DDR4 Ram, and Windows. She then proceeds to say that she doesn't like Windows because it's not friendly to video editors and music producers. She then proceeds to tell me that Apple is THE brand for work based builds. When I asked her if she knew how video editing and usage of the actual components working in tandem functioned, she became extremely irate, and went on how her friends who were music producers and video editors used Apple computers because they are the best for what they do. I explained to her calmly that by having a more powerful chipset with the ability to run a CPU with more cores it would benefit them greatly because those cores can take more tasks as opposed to the weak CPUs that Apple uses. I explained by building your own video editing PC you are in control and can upgrade your rig over time to be more robust. She then proceeds to arrogantly and ignorantly ask: "What is a chipset anyway?!" I laughed to myself pretty hard. But I did explain in the end. She wouldn't learn anything past a chipset though. Hahahaha.

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

He said Windows Media Player and you dont have WMP on Macs!!

-snip-

Let's not reply to stuff over 2 weeks old mmkay?