Experiences with non-techies

Oh, I got one. My friend who wants to build a gaming pc told me that he's going to buy each part whenever he has the money for one of them. The first component he bought was a Western Digital GREEN HDD. He plans to install a 980ti...

And what's wrong with that?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I have a green drive, it's not that bad, yes BF4 multiplayer loading time(WoT too) is long, sometimes I think my pc has frozen and will need a restart, but for everything else it's perfectly fine. If he gets a ssd, there wouldn't be any problem, the ssd speed would compensate for the hdd being slow.

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

And what's wrong with that?

They're garbage compared to the blue series Western Digitals, and If he plans on getting a 980ti, he should have enough money to buy a better hard drive. 

They're garbage compared to the blue series Western Digitals, and If he plans on getting a 980ti, he should have enough money to buy a better hard drive.

My opinion that if a hard drive doesn't have 7200 RPM and no SSD, its slows down the whole build.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

My opinion that if a hard drive doesn't have 7200 RPM and no SSD, its slows down the whole build.

5400 rpm is fine for storage.

for storage, it's fine.. but as a boot drive?

for storage, it's fine.. but as a boot drive?

I'd say no. Even a 7200rpm drive is not fine by me. I will always try to squeeze an SSD into the budget, usually by removing the hard drive and allowing the user to upgrade later.

Was playing games with a friend when I got tired of him complaining about the terrible frames he gets on CS:GO.. I decided to put a stop to it.  He said he had his computer build for him and it had an i5 4440 and a GTX 760.  Figured he shouldn't have a problem with those specs so I asked him the stupid question..

I was like, "hey, I don't want to make you feel stupid, but what's your monitor plugged into to?"  To which he replied "I dunno.."

Turns out he was running on integrated graphics, with a fresh GTX 760 just running doing nothing!  :unsure:

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Was playing games with a friend when I got tired of him complaining about the terrible frames he gets on CS:GO.. I decided to put a stop to it.  He said he had his computer build for him and it had an i5 4440 and a GTX 760.  Figured he shouldn't have a problem with those specs so I asked him the stupid question..

I was like, "hey, I don't want to make you feel stupid, but what's your monitor plugged into to?"  To which he replied "I dunno.."

Turns out he was running on integrated graphics, with a fresh GTX 760 just running doing nothing!  :unsure:

I had a friend who after moving his PC couldn't figure out why he was only getting 10 fps in csgo when he normally gets over 200. This lasted over 2 weeks when somehow I thought of checking the cables. This was after he thought his gpu was dying and was planning on replacing it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

that is exactly what I said.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Today:

(I had just explained to her what RAM is versus a hard-drive or SSD or flash memory.)

Mom: I'm understanding all this tech stuff! It's kinda easy!

(I then walk away for about 5 minutes)

Mom: HEY GMAESPLAYER COME TURN ON THE TV FOR ME

"Do as I say, not as I do." 

I set up a bigtent.com group for these people I do IT stuff for since they have no clue on their own. All works as planned, a few ask me some questions about security, etc. all is fine I assure them. Then some people start having trouble accessing the website, so I go talk to them via the group director since I don't have direct contact with them. Here is the conversation with one person as relayed (paraphrasing a little):

Them: "So I've been having some trouble with the site you set up"

Me: "Yeah? Whats the problem?"

Them: "Well every time I go to do something it wants me to log in."

Me: "...And?"

Them: "Well I don't want to have to do that. Can you make it where I don't need to?"

Me: "I'm sorry?"

Them: "I mean can you make it where I can access the group stuff without logging in."

Me: "Think about what you just said for a moment..."

Sadly they never got it and 'unfortunately' had to login every time they wanted to access their personal group files.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

I can't stand it when people are looking to buy a new computer and don't understand specs at all. I see this most often with Apple products. People I know would buy a Mac for the sake of it being an Apple computer and having no understanding of why a Mac and a pc is priced so differently.

Them: "Well every time I go to do something it wants me to log in."

Me: "...And?"

Them: "Well I don't want to have to do that. Can you make it where I don't need to?"

Me: "I'm sorry?"

Them: "I mean can you make it where I can access the group stuff without logging in."

Couldn't you have the site issue a 'stay signed in/remember me " message that way they only have to log in the once (or so) not every time, a bit like this very site.  Ok this only applies to the one computer and leaves the account open to hijack (IMHO usually family members or friends who have physical access to the computer in question) but it does 'solve' the log in every time problem.

Untitled.jpg

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Couldn't you have the site issue a 'stay signed in/remember me " message that way they only have to log in the once (or so) not every time, a bit like this very site.  Ok this only applies to the one computer and leaves the account open to hijack (IMHO usually family members or friends who have physical access to the computer in question) but it does 'solve' the log in every time problem.

Untitled.jpg

There probably was but they were saying they didn't want to be logged in altogether. They basically thought the computer would auto detect who they were and they could manage everthing as a guest.

Christian 

Rig Specs:

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Another story (not mine found it on another forum and thought it was funny):

One day, some guy walked into our IT department, and said he had a virus on his computer. We asked him if he brought it and he said he didn't need to. He said he trapped the virus and brought the part which it was trapped in. I figured he was able to get all the bad files onto an external HDD or something but then he pulled out an ethernet cable he was holding from the edges, forming a 'U'. He said he turned on his wired network so that the virus would move on to spread, and waited about 5 minutes. Then he turned everything off, and unplugged the ethernet cable because he thought the virus was trapped inside, and was holding it like a U so it wouldn't "spill out".

Christian 

Rig Specs:

Another story (not mine found it on another forum and thought it was funny):

One day, some guy walked into our IT department, and said he had a virus on his computer. We asked him if he brought it and he said he didn't need to. He said he trapped the virus and brought the part which it was trapped in. I figured he was able to get all the bad files onto an external HDD or something but then he pulled out an ethernet cable he was holding from the edges, forming a 'U'. He said he turned on his wired network so that the virus would move on to spread, and waited about 5 minutes. Then he turned everything off, and unplugged the ethernet cable because he thought the virus was trapped inside, and was holding it like a U so it wouldn't "spill out".

^nice find^

He must've thought that the internet is a series of tubes and that the data is the 'water'... so to trap the virus, you isolate it at the segment and cut it off...

pretty logical... but in the wrong context...

~lmfao~

OH MY GOD I'M LAUGHING TOO HARD AND CAN'T BREATHE!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

^nice find^

He must've thought that the internet is a series of tubes and that the data is the 'water'... so to trap the virus, you isolate it at the segment and cut it off...

pretty logical... but in the wrong context...

What you mean?!

THE INTERNET IS A SERIES OF TUBES!

the-internet-is-a-series-of-tubes-and-th

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

What you mean?!

THE INTERNET IS A SERIES OF TUBES!

the-internet-is-a-series-of-tubes-and-th

Haha nice. But seriously, he can't be that dumb if he figured out how to plug it in...

Christian 

Rig Specs:

Also a note I'd like to put in to all the people thinking we're evildoers and such, we aren't specifically trying to make fun of non-techies, or make ourselves seem smarter or more important. We are simply highlighting some funny encounters we, or others, have had with the genre being non-techies. Also, most of these people are know-it-alls that really don't know what they're talking about and so in a way deserve this. But also note we're taking care not to mention names so not to offend anyone specifically. Not a story :P but just wanted to point that out to everyone.

Christian 

Rig Specs:

just thought of another one haha. Its more like 2 actually. Me and my friend are the idiots in this. I'm about 7-8 in this and am really tech iliterate.

Part 1: So me and my friend got MCPE (Minecraft Pocket Edition. Yes, back when Minecraft was still a thing) on his ipod something or other (know nothing about mac products lol never bothered with them) and I got it on my Kindle Fire, and we kept wondering why his was lagging so badly when mine wasn't. Our brilliant conclusion? Well my device was bigger, and bigger = more space, more space = more places to put processing power units, more places to put processing power units = the more you have, and the more you have = the better your device is. I went on believing that for months DX

Part 2: So we went to do multiplayer but had no idea how it worked, so we both went into bluetooth (or "the connector wifi stuff" as we called it) and basically started pairing with every random device in the house. His mom's phone, dad's pc, his alarm speakers, even the smart TV. For some reason they were all unlocked and we were suddenly controlling the house. O_O Didn't even realize it till the TV started randomly turning on/off when we pressed buttons.

Christian 

Rig Specs:

So my friends challenged me to speak only in video game quotes. My chemistry teacher a few minutes later asks me a question about electrons. I reply because war, war never changes. Then this one prat starts laughing at me calling me a cod fanboy, out of everyone my teacher corrects him saying that its from the fallout series. Apparently she used to play fallout 1 and 2.

Wasn't that quote from MGS?