Experiences with non-techies

Challenge accepted?

Because that's the budget for my next project...

Hint: It's an APU... with a cheap case and PSU... and a recycled HDD... running on Linux...

it's good for something... but definitely not for hardcore gaming...

Seriously though...

Some people really expect top tier performance when they get a cheapo PC...

or when they splurge on a prebuilt 'gaming' PC with an i7 paired with a 730...

Heck, I'd want to hate on people buying prebuilts altogether, but prebuilts have the convenience factor... especially if you're too busy to assemble and  troubleshoot on your own...

I would do a pre-built if most of the core components were decent such as mobo, cpu, psu and case for a good price. The rest I could upgrade as I got the money to do so.

But mostly I would just build a rig myself, I am rather picky when it come to that.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I would do a pre-built if most of the core components were decent such as mobo, cpu, psu and case for a good price. The rest I could upgrade as I got the money to do so.

But mostly I would just build a rig myself, I am rather picky when it come to that.

And that's what separates us from the rest....

and maybe why the retailers sometimes hate us... because we demand very specific parts...

Challenge accepted?

Because that's the budget for my next project...

Hint: It's an APU... with a cheap case and PSU... and a recycled HDD... running on Linux...

it's good for something... but definitely not for hardcore gaming...

Seriously though...

Some people really expect top tier performance when they get a cheapo PC...

or when they splurge on a prebuilt 'gaming' PC with an i7 paired with a 730...

Heck, I'd want to hate on people buying prebuilts altogether, but prebuilts have the convenience factor... especially if you're too busy to assemble and  troubleshoot on your own...

yeah but like a pre-built with windows and all that.

This one time, I bought a Rocketfish sound card because my onboard sound was burned out, then a week later, by motherboard crapped out completely and sold it online for $5 more than what I purchased it retail. I felt bad, but whatever. :D

Pure evil

My mom questioned my decision to buy a 960 cause it costs as much as her soon to be Asus X200MA. She thinks that all computer hardware runs the same, when she already knows how awful it is to deal with old crappy hardware (A vaio with an E 450)

A friend of mine has an aging, but still functional, gaming PC that keeps running out of hard drive space which I looked into a few days ago. He has a 500GB (full) primary HDD and a 1TB data drive that he has never used at all. He packed his install drive completely full to the point where I couldn't even install WinDirStat to see what I could clean up without deleting a few older files. 

All I had to do was move his Steam install directory to the data drive, giving him 270GB of free space on his primary drive...

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

All I had to do was move his Steam install directory to the data drive, giving him 270GB of free space on his primary drive...

Dayum...

Also, notification rape.

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Dayum...

Also, notification rape.

Little off-topic, but:

You think this thread gives loads of notifications?

post-23506-0-52545300-1436353677.jpg

I was away for 9 hours (sleep), and I got this many notifications. It has been fairly normal for me for over a year now. Most of it comes from a single off-topic thread too. And yes, I do read them all.

post-23506-0-52545300-1436353677.jpg

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

having to deal with clients expecting tablet (ios android) like support in a windows environment

and if it doesnt work the way they want it to work its broke even tho they just suck at using the product :/

having to deal with clients expecting tablet (ios android) like support in a windows environment

and if it doesnt work the way they want it to work its broke even tho they just suck at using the product :/

know a few people like this personally...

sometimes you just need to go out of your way to teach them... and if they're willing to take the time learn, the results are very satisfying...

Little off-topic, but:

Snipity

I was away for 9 hours (sleep), and I got this many notifications. It has been fairly normal for me for over a year now. Most of it comes from a single off-topic thread too. And yes, I do read them all.

I can't help but notice the bookmarks that are blurred out.

That's a lot of notifications for 9 hours...

Little off-topic, but:

attachicon.gifLTT please2.jpg

And only 2 of them... Very suspicious...

I put my bet on crazy rule 34 shizzz.

And only 2 of them... Very suspicious...

I put my bet on crazy rule 34 shizzz.

They are both related to the high school I go to (the left bookmark is our school's website, and the right bookmark is for students' personal messages from teachers and stuff). I blurred them to not give my precise location away, since both of them contain the name of the municipality where I study in, and it's a small town, so tracking down wouldn't be as hard as in a city.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

They are both related to the high school I go to (the left bookmark is our school's website, and the right bookmark is for students' personal messages from teachers and stuff). I blurred them to not give my precise location away, since both of them contain the name of the municipality where I study in, and it's a small town, so tracking down wouldn't be as hard as in a city.

seems legit...

You could have just blurred out the names not what comes after to make is seem less dodgy...

I think my idea was more fun. :P

Ruostunut kokisI think my idea was more fun. :P

It was. unless he is lying and it is some rule 34 shizz.

Good to see that @Ruostunut kokis doesn't use adblock on the forum though.

Just a small one, nothing big, but it still got me to think.

Last night I was at a summer-ball game, and a man with a fairly fancy camera was standing behind me. I'm not sure if he was a team photographer, with a newspaper, or with a scouting organization, but nevertheless he had a big camera with a big lens. 

A man standing next to him was fairly intrigued and started talking to him about it. This is the part of the conversation I remember:

Man: "How many pictures can that thing hold?"

Photographer: -inaudible-

Man: "What size card do you use?"

Photographer: "sixty-four"

Man: "Megabytes?!"

Photographer: "..."

Photographer: "No, gigabytes."

My family thinks that my computer "uses more internet" just because it's bigger and ask me to turn it off cause they clearly don't understand how throttling works.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Sim Lim Square in a nutshell :

$200

Core 2 Duo

No GPU

"Gaming PC"

-Facepalm

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Sim Lim Square in a nutshell :

$200

Core 2 Duo

No GPU

"Gaming PC"

-Facepalm

If it can play minesweeper, it's a gaming pc.

I work in a small computer store and my boss would be so lost without me.

"Can you grab me a DP Port cable"

"The Modulized interface makes it more efficiency"

"The Human eye can't see over 60FPS" - that one wasn't repeated after I threw something at him

Up until a few weeks ago when I fully redesigned the gaming lineup we had a machine with a 270X, i7 4790, 16GB RAM and no SSD.

I'm in bed, more may be added as I remember them / as they happen.

DP Port, as in Display Port Port? :P

Reminds me of a very common mistake almost everyone makes: PIN code. Meaning Personal Identification Number code... Yeah

Little off-topic, but:

attachicon.gifLTT please2.jpg

Here's mine from last monday after being offline for the weekend:

ECzCNmb.png

Almost all of it is from Dutch Talk xD

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

DP Port, as in Display Port Port? :P

Reminds me of a very common mistake almost everyone makes: PIN code. Meaning Personal Identification Number code... Yeah

Here's mine from last monday after being offline for the weekend:

ECzCNmb.png

Almost all of it is from Dutch Talk xD

Meh. I have seen worse... Once had over 700 new notifications, too bad I didn't screen cap the evidence. Oh, and I read it all, while in school. It took over half a day to read them all with all the classes that were at the same time.

And back in the spammier days, I used to get about 50 or more new notifications, in an hour, and read it all during school.

And again, most of it comes from a single off-topic thread. To give a hint, that thread may or may not be about certain type of media...

When someone who you offered to build a gaming computer for buys one from Best Buy.

60563664.jpg

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

So I'm currently at a gated holiday cottage community place thing and we were given various things to use in the house. One of those was a PS3 connected to some 768p TV via SCART cable. We had bought some blu-ray movies to watch on the PS3 but we needed to use a HDMI cable just to ensure that the movies didn't look like compressed shit. We also needed a charging cable for the remotes which for some reason wasn't supplied. I walk down to reception and ask for a HDMI cable and they said they'd need to ask the homeowners to order some, I explained that I'd be leaving by Saturday and would rather not wait until the day I leave. They had a TV and PS3 set up in the lobby, so me and the receptionist go to investigate that. We find a charging cable and I was given that, I then notice something else, not only is the PS3 plugged into the TV via SCART, but by HDMI too.

I explain to the receptionist that you only actually need one of those cables to operate the PS3. She makes me swear to her that the PS3 won't break because we borrowed the HDMI cable and just to appease her, I had to swear.

tl;dr - We needed a HDMI cable, homeowners didn't oblige, we found one spare which for some reason was plugged in to a TV alongside a SCART cable and I had to faithfully promise that not having the HDMI cable in the PS3 wouldn't cause it to break...

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Spoiler

So I'm currently at a gated holiday cottage community place thing and we were given various things to use in the house. One of those was a PS3 connected to some 768p TV via SCART cable. We had bought some blu-ray movies to watch on the PS3 but we needed to use a HDMI cable just to ensure that the movies didn't look like compressed shit. We also needed a charging cable for the remotes which for some reason wasn't supplied. I walk down to reception and ask for a HDMI cable and they said they'd need to ask the homeowners to order some, I explained that I'd be leaving by Saturday and would rather not wait until the day I leave. They had a TV and PS3 set up in the lobby, so me and the receptionist go to investigate that. We find a charging cable and I was given that, I then notice something else, not only is the PS3 plugged into the TV via SCART, but by HDMI too.

I explain to the receptionist that you only actually need one of those cables to operate the PS3. She makes me swear to her that the PS3 won't break because we borrowed the HDMI cable and just to appease her, I had to swear.

tl;dr - We needed a HDMI cable, homeowners didn't oblige, we found one spare which for some reason was plugged in to a TV alongside a SCART cable and I had to faithfully promise that not having the HDMI cable in the PS3 wouldn't cause it to break...

200.gif

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER