Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

friend got drunk n pissed in disc tray

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

my dad is 53 and when he is done browsing he always goes back every page till he is where he started before he closes the browser even after i tried to explain that you wouldnt turn back page for page when you are done reading a book till you are at the cover before closing it he stil doesnt get it. also we have a limited volume on our internet so it really bugs me

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I read on the forums that someone (as a pretty young kid), forgot to install the motherboard standoffs, powered on the PC, and then completely fried the whole thing.

That can't happen.

I once thought my dad's Acer desktop with an Athlon II x4 and Radeon HD 5570 was "built for gaming". I am now ashamed of what I once was. I know better now.

I almost buy an imac

Mac's aren't bad, they're just not for gaming.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

On my old PSU there were both 6 and 8 pin connections for the modular connectors. I somehow managed to get one of the 6 pin cables (was a SATA cable) into the 8-pin socket. One dead SSD, one dead HDD and one dead ODD later, I've still not worked out how the heck I managed to get it in there.

EDIT: For the record, the PSU was a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W.

Mac's aren't bad, they're just not for gaming.

i agree but i wanted a gaming pc

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Writing on this thread... Makes me look like a fail lol

Its all looks these days

Amazon customer service said cant install a windows 7 game on windows 8 ;)))

Its all looks these days

I bought GTX 650

Tbh it was nice going from 650 to a 780ti atleast that was good

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

I dropped a magnet on my harddrive

surely that does nothing.... Ive extracted the neodymium magnets from a HDD now they are strong could lift 18kg from a magnet which is about 2.5cm long and 1cm wide

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

I forced a cable in my graphics card upside down when I was 11...

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

Bought a prebuilt, upgrading it part by part when I can. :/

I did that, was amazed and blinded by a system with an i5 and 2tb hdd and 8gb ram ... atleast the mobo wasnt to bad, i upgraded in this order - GPU to 650, ssd boot drive, mobo to pro4 , psu to cx600m , cpu to 3570k, GPU to 780ti, ram to vengeance 16gb

Bought a Gigabyte 650Ti one year ago.

And this (No words needed): 

imag0135lryta.jpg

imag0136n8lkq.jpg

Just seen a live streamer build a PC with a 1500w PSU and ITX mobo in a full tower; no cable management, single GPU was at least a GTX 680.

It was built on a carpet floor with socks on, then puts mobo on anti-static bag to "Protect it".  Damn near wanted to face palm my screen.  The build was so unbalanced,  like slapped together I mean.

I dont think people realise how static resistant modern day tech is, i have a tesla coil which can produce several hundred thousand volts, i will do a video with my old iphone 3gs getting closer and possibly a strike if its survives the EMI

i agree but i wanted a gaming pc

ok

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Built a pc without a power button.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Lost the socket protector thing for my motherboard. 

I have never more carefully wrapped and put a item away in my closet than that motherboard because I was so paranoid the pins would bend. 

Looked in my grandads PC for some ram to "borrow" little did i know the machine was older than me and had 16mb ram modules

A womens PC I worked on back in the early 2000's had dead cockroaches and spiders in it. :(

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I tried installing a Dell proprietary motherboard into a custom case.  Nothing lined up.

poor cable management, only 1 stick of 4 gb ram (changing soon) hodge podge of HDDs inc 2.5inch 5400rpm 500gb laptop drive and 5400 1tb old extrernal

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Okay, now this is really hard to admit but here I go... I broke off a capacitor on my board while changing the graphics card. It still runs stable, the only thing which doesn't work anymore is the left audio channel on the green Stereo out plug. Just using another one of the six I have in total on my mobo works perfectly fine. So, not a big deal actually, since the board still runs rock solid but knowing that still kind of pisses me off.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit