Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

After much attention to detail...wondering why newly built PC wasn't working and then plugging it in.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

I know a guy that bought either an AMD processor or an Intel processor (cannot remember which) and tried to use it in his older apposing type board.  He thought removing a few pins to make it fit was acceptable.  I fake helped him trouble shoot for 20 or so minutes knowing that shit was doomed but didn't have the guts to tell him.  He was a real hot head and was already in a fit of rage trying to figure it out.  

Corsair 900D [ASUS Sabertooth Z87] i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz [x4 4BG Corsair Dominator Platnum 2133mhz]
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) [2TB  Western Digital Caviar Black (Storage)] 2x Nivida 980GTX SLI 

Beyerdynamic DT990's [Logitech 600] Razor Blackwiddow Ultimate [MS XBOX360 gamepad]

Bought a prebuilt PC with an i3, 4 gig of RAM and a GT330. 

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

haven't done anything way too stupid bacause i have most of the time no money so i know i can't replace anything broken and i only did some software mistakes BUT

this is the heart breaking story of my 7850 dual-x 

i bought this card and i loved it ! i went from geforce 240(ddr3) to this baby and i was amazed 

a month later i encountered some problems because of the mobo so i unpluged everything and send the mobo where i bought it ,the gave me a working one and i went home to build the pc again

i plugged everything and left my beloved 7850 to be plugged last i grabbed the box where i had the gpu and i opened it SHIT i had the box upside down and i watched my gpu falling down to the floor 

i started sweating as  i saw the one fan popping out and the pcb was scratched and damaged a bit i rushed to put the gpu in and then booted what a relief! i was ok litle did i knew.....

the dvi port is damaged and gives flickering and i had to buy a new monitor to use the hdmi .Now one time per 3 days or something like this i will see a random white horizontal line that will go off after a sec 

this was my sad story of almost destroying my most loved part and i have to deal with the fact that some day it will need to get replaced and i wont have money to buy something like this again for some months 
hope you guys are more cautious after reading this because it is sort of heartbreaking for me 

wondering why i can't see anything in the screen and then realising i forgot to plug the pci-e cable 

Bought a screen that said 7ms response time not knowing it really was 50+ never trust

Manufactures ,rely on truth . Know what input lag is .

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

ohh another one 

a friend of mine got when he was young a pre-build pc and later he realised it was time to upgrade so he went to the shop and bought the exactly same gpu 
now i got the one just for a pc case i had lying down so i could use the gpu for our boring living room pc :D

IT guys put gum in USB ports to keep people from using them?!?!?!

EDIT: not like this

Chewing_Gum_USB_in_Comp1.jpg

they chew it and then they stick it.

When I first got into PCs, I went around blabbering about how the FX-8350 was superior to Intel's haswell processors because it had higher clockspeeds and more cores at a lesser price. Yeah... I was THAT guy... I still cringe to this day thinking about what I said.

I don't overclock... I OGREclock.
Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

Broke into my isp back when it was much easier to do (1995 or 96ish) to install some eggdrops on their servers for my irc botnet. The admin evidently logged on while I was digging around other peoples accounts and folders, including the local PD's account.

My dad got a call from the cops that day.

helping stupid people with PC-tech.
They call you every minute,
can I click here? what about here? oh I clicked
*hangs up the phone* <_<

I dont think people realise how static resistant modern day tech is, i have a tesla coil which can produce several hundred thousand volts, i will do a video with my old iphone 3gs getting closer and possibly a strike if its survives the EMI

Ever heard of skin effect?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I bought an Nvidia Themed green case and built an amd system in it. -_-

My rig: Cpu: AMD 8350 | Cooler: Corsair h100i with Noctua nf-f12 fans | Ram: 8gb 1600 corsair vengeance | Hard Drive: 2x 1tb wd drives in raid 1 | SSd: 128gb plextor m5p  | Motherboard: asrock extreme9  | Graphics card: amd 7850 2gb | Power Supply: ocz modular | Case: cooler master cm 690 ii          Peripherals: | Monitor: x-star 1440p | Mic: blue snowball  | Keyboard: Flashget G600  | Mouse: No name |

Friend got 12gig RAM, and installed an old, 32-bit cracked Win 8. He HAS BOUGHT A FUCKING PRO LICENSE, WITH A x64 BIT DVD WITH THE PC! Why would anyone install x32 cracked then?!

Used a K-series processor in a B-series motherboard.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I did this to reduce the noise created by the vibrations of the fan. Nothing bad has happened it's just kind of not recommended...

2014_06_07.jpg

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Put windows Vista on my laptop

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Spent 2 months trying to figure out why there was a little red light on my motherboard, I knew I didn't have the front power led connected, yet I couldn't' figure out what was wrong with the MB.  I wrote to Gigabyte, I wrote to another tech site, I drove myself mad.  Then I wanted to make sure I had my SSD attached to the right Sata connector, the Intel one not the Marvell one, so I cracked it open to check.... corrected that error and put the CPU_LED leads in the right place.  Red light on motherboard fixed, SSD operating faster.  But I was a complete idiot for not realizing the mobo would pick up the fact that the CPU_LED wasn't connected properly.  Duh.  Live and learn.  

Ubisoft.

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

Ubisoft.

Buying a crappy ported Ubisoft game.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

-Snip-

Dude. What?

DISCIPLE OF HIS HOLINESS, GABEN FIRST OF HIS NAME FOR NOW AND THE END OF TIME

STEAM - Brendson | ORIGIN - LGBrendson | BATTLE.NET - Brendson#2793

PLACES TO FOLLOW ME - Pastebin

INTEL STOCK COOLER

100_2215_zps5f2de53a.jpg

NOT ENOUGH SCREWS

IMG_20131222_171615_zps60c22951.jpg

IMG_20131223_213130_zpsdb3a6be0.jpg

THERMAL PASTE = TOOTH PASTE

IMG_20131222_165505_zps7ff628ff.jpg

THIS WAS PCIe 16x (HAS STOCK SLOT PENTIUM III HEATSINK ON IT)

100_2220_zps07f606eb.jpg

[FIXED]

100_22531_zps46afb887.jpg

ANOTHER INTEL FAN

100_22381_zpsc9e610f8.jpg

COMMING SOON...

100_22521_zps07fd7164.jpg

WHATS WRONG WITH A TOOTHPASTE AS A THERMAL PASTE >:[

Heard: 8 Titan Black in SLI ftw

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

I didn't say it's wrong, It's nice and smells like mint :D!

Is it me or is LTT getting smaller

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct