Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

-Gettin 16gb of ram (Could have gotten a r9 290 without spending an extra $100 on ram)

-not waiting for new components (r9 290 with aftermarket coolers were not available at that time) 

-gettin a useless led strip (The case fans and ram led were already bright enough)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

buying a cheap rosewill case

Ewww I hate bright colors, they make cases look tacky and cheap imo.

buying a cheap rosewill case

i don't see anything bad with such a stylish case

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

Not getting an aftermarket cooler asap... (Mutsuki was as loud as a struggling vacuum when gaming on hot summer days)

Getting a 1TB drive instead of waiting for a bit more money to get a 2TB drive...

Buying a graphics card before buying a proper PSU... (Mutsuki's old PSU was a 700W(400W max est.) gutless wonder)

Not getting the Ostrog over the VS3 Advance...

I tought a6 6400k is a good cpu. Well actually it is a good cpu but it's bottlenecking my r9 270.

Started with a prebuilt, got a new power supply that didn't work with the stock Dell mobo, returned that and got a 7770, didn't align properly because of the Dell mobo, got a new mobo that didn't align with the Dell case, got my 410, new powersupply, got an 8 gig kit of PNY memory, gave 7770 to friend.

I sold a mint condition iPad for $200 *uber facepalm*

As soon as I sold it some other guy offered me $400!

I wish I never bothered with an APU. I'm sure it's bottle necking my 760 and im at a dead end with FM2+ meaning i'll likely have to upgrade my motherboard and CPU at the same time. 

since when was FM2+ ded?

Non-modular PSU, and an Aerocool case. 

Never again. 

Edit:

I also have even more cable clutter because I have PSU extensions (not a new set, because no modularity), and on top of that, I got a H440 just recently with the extensions, and the room on the right side panel is horrid. 

Cable management legitimately took two and a half hours. 

ALL THESE BLOODY CABLES. 

I remember many years back I was drooling over an Aerocool case...I don't remember which one, but it had pretty lights! And I wanted it!

Are they really that bad? Only reason I didn't buy that aero was because it was too expensive at the time (2009 or so)

I didn't make my PC, but I wish I would have gotten an Intel CPU, rather than this AMD one :(

That CPU is from 2010 :P

I used to have a similar one, X2 220. It was alright and got be through a few years before I got my current rig...It could play pretty much all games from the time and even today it'll play on lower settings. Not a bad CPU, but certainly not great.

Judging by the rest of your specs it seems alright, nothing is being bottlenecked and you most probably won't get any better gaming performance by getting a nicer CPU with that Quadro. But if you were to upgrade I would certainly replace the board and CPU first otherwise you will bottleneck.

Whoever built your PC wasn't bad at the time...but if they're still making similar stuff now I pity the fool! :P

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

since when was FM2+ ded?

It's a dead end upgrade for me.

Buying Korean monitor in the UK for £200 on eBay.

First I had to pay import tax and VAT which increased the price to £300 (450 USD). Later, it turned out that the monitor got damaged destroyed during shipping, and the manufacturer refuses to take responsibility because they sent me a good monitor, so now I'm stuck arguing with them, Korea Post and eBay about getting a refund. And in the meanwhile, I have to use my PC with an old 720p TV... which doesn't fit on my desk  -.-

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I cheaped on on my gpu for the sake of a better cpu. I don't particularly regret my decision because I actually needed the i7, and I was on a VERY tight budget, but going back I'd probably have bought the pc with integrated graphics and then bought a gpu later when I had the money for a better one. The gtx 550ti was fine, don't get me wrong, it could have been much worse, but still, I wish I had gone for a 560ti at least.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A 7200 RPM hard drive. 

I sit really close to my computer and it is the loudest thing in my case.

If i could go back, I would have payed more for a 5400 rpm hard drive.

cpu:I7 4770k @ 4.3   gpu: 3.5 gb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) GTX 970 @ 1530MHZ   Ram: 16Gb

I bought a gaming pc with an amd fx6350 and an r7 260x a few months ago...too weak gpu and to be honest the amd processors with fm3+ mobos are a dead end, if i want a CONSIDERABLY better cpu i need to swap my mobo too..

"Give a man a mask and he will become his true self." -Oscar Wilde

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i5 6600k @ 3.5GHz GPU MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Kingston Fury 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz PSU XFX 650W Storage Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, Kingston 128GB SSD OS Windows 10

A 7200 RPM hard drive. 

I sit really close to my computer and it is the loudest thing in my case.

If i could go back, I would have payed more for a 5400 rpm hard drive.

Trust me, if you had went for a 5400 rpm HDD now you'd be wishing you had went for 7200rpm. Those things are UNBEARABLY slow.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I bought a gaming pc with an amd fx6350 and an r7 260x a few months ago...too weak gpu and to be honest the amd processors with fm3+ mobos are a dead end, if i want a CONSIDERABLY better cpu i need to swap my mobo too..

When did FM3+ release? I must've missed that.

I sold a mint condition iPad for $200 *uber facepalm*

As soon as I sold it some other guy offered me $400!

since when was FM2+ ded?

I remember many years back I was drooling over an Aerocool case...I don't remember which one, but it had pretty lights! And I wanted it!

Are they really that bad? Only reason I didn't buy that aero was because it was too expensive at the time (2009 or so)

That CPU is from 2010 :P

I used to have a similar one, X2 220. It was alright and got be through a few years before I got my current rig...It could play pretty much all games from the time and even today it'll play on lower settings. Not a bad CPU, but certainly not great.

Judging by the rest of your specs it seems alright, nothing is being bottlenecked and you most probably won't get any better gaming performance by getting a nicer CPU with that Quadro. But if you were to upgrade I would certainly replace the board and CPU first otherwise you will bottleneck.

Whoever built your PC wasn't bad at the time...but if they're still making similar stuff now I pity the fool! :P

I have the AMD Athlon X2 255.. 

This PC was build in 2011, so a 2010 CPU was not bad..

This was never built as a gaming PC and I threw that Quadro (which has 512MB Vram) in it myself. 

I was always able to play the games I wanted back than (Minecraft + a 2002 FPS. Medal of Honor.) so it was not bad.

Now that I want PC gaming with bigger games, it's harder..

I can play Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite... So not complaining.

I don't like gaming that much, so I don't care. I want to upgrade my CPU because I like photo editing too..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

When did FM3+ release? I must've missed that.

AM3+*  My brain is letting me down

"Give a man a mask and he will become his true self." -Oscar Wilde

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i5 6600k @ 3.5GHz GPU MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Kingston Fury 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz PSU XFX 650W Storage Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, Kingston 128GB SSD OS Windows 10

Some of these stories are great, mine is from over a decade ago.

My processor was clocked at 533mhz, I begged my parents for a processor that was simply 1GhZ (I was into computers at a very young age) and they finally hooked me up, only to find out that 3GHz was the standard by then. 

Black/Red Beast: CPU: i7 4790k Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 1866 HyperFury X SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo 840

I tought a6 6400k is a good cpu. Well actually it is a good cpu but it's bottlenecking my r9 270.

Exactly my problem.

Few years ago I bought a GTX550ti even though Nvidia had released the 600 series cards :( that was before I started watching LinusTechTips channel.

getting a mobo without integrated wifi, and the cheapest wifi pci NIC that some days just doesn't want to stay connected

Buying Korean monitor in the UK for £200 on eBay.

First I had to pay import tax and VAT which increased the price to £300 (450 USD). Later, it turned out that the monitor got damaged destroyed during shipping, and the manufacturer refuses to take responsibility because they sent me a good monitor, so now I'm stuck arguing with them, Korea Post and eBay about getting a refund. And in the meanwhile, I have to use my PC with an old 720p TV... which doesn't fit on my desk  -.-

damn 

That I didn't sli my 780ti it's so hard to find one now a days ...

that's why i cant find it anywhere in my country!!

I did a whole lot of mistakes. I don't regret getting my rig though, but I could've made a lot better decisions.

• I bought an i7 2600K when 3770K was already a thing (plus 3770K was 40€ cheaper than 2600K). I'm also still using a stock cooler, but that's not a problem IMO.
  • I bought a second hand ASUS GTX 550 Ti DirectCU for 100€ (yes, 100€. Back then I could've gotten one for maybe 60€ - 80€ second-handed, or a GTX 650 for ~100€). It wasn't too bad, but basically got scammed by my own godparent.
  • Later got myself a second-hand Gigabyte GTX 590  for 270€. If I waited a few weeks, I could've gotten a 660Ti as new for the same price, and the performance would've been pretty much the same, but noise levels would've been lower.
  • Got myself a random no-brand, unnamed generic black ATX case. The thing has no cable management options, plus only 1 120mm fan mount, and 2 80mm fan mounts. Nothing more.
  • Also got a non 80-plus PSU, some Chieftec 750W fully modular PSU. It's not bad, but the fact that it's non 80-plus PSU... Good that at least so far it haven't had any problems for it's over 3 year lifetime it has served me.
  • All my HDDs are bought / acquired as used... Yeah... My main 1TB WD Green 5400RPM HDD was over 3 years old at the time of purchase. My secondary 500GB WD Blue 7200RPM HDD is ripped from my old PC, so I guess that doesn't count...
  • My SSD was second-hand bought (!), it was an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD, it died after having used it over 1,5 years. Had to buy the Windows 7 licence all over again due to that.

That's all I can think of right now.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Buying a non modular PSU, it was a huge pain to work with.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I did terrible cable management and I have been dreading it too much to do anything about it