Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Cheaping out on my case, and having shit cable management as a result.

NZXT Source 210 Elite with 4790K, GIGABYTE Z97x-SLI  :wub:

I started my first build at 10pm. I grew increasingly tired and I was getting distracted since I was on Mumble with my friend, and finished at 4am. I will never take 6 hours to build a computer again. Lol.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I didn't do a good job of cable management figuring I could just fix it later, conveniently ignoring that I know I'm too lazy to do that. So it's pretty unsightly. Luckily it is out of sight and it works, which is the important part.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

modifying my cpu voltage at about 4 in the morning trying to test stability on certain clock speeds, and in a half asleep state entering 1.70v instead of 1.07v and booting up...

next thing i know cpu overvoltage detected and my temp was 90c in about 2 seconds... god knows how it didnt fry on 1.7v but luckily i managed to reset bios quick enough so hopefully there wasnt too much damage caused!

Bought a shit AMD APU

Then got an Nvidia GPU.

Bought the Azza genesis 9000 case

bought the Larkooler water cooling kit, which was absolute shit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I wish I never bothered with an APU. I'm sure it's bottle necking my 760 and im at a dead end with FM2+ meaning i'll likely have to upgrade my motherboard and CPU at the same time. 

Omg yes.  I thought it would be good but I ended us getting less than 30fps on low in every game.  It's most likely bottlenecking my r9 270, too.  This post is all too relatable.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Got an RM1000 and only 8GB RAM

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

My card is plenty powerful but I don't wanna throw it just to get 970s or 980s it's the same with wanting a custom loop, I have no issues with my h100i would be a shame to bin good hardware

Binning is not the only option.

You could sell the parts, there is always someone for whom your 'out of date not good enough' gear is good (within their budget).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Going for an APU instead of G3258+$100 GPU. I regret this so much... Also for buying an HDD first, then an SSD. Should've done it the other way.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Also for buying an HDD first, then an SSD. Should've done it the other way.

Well, I did that mistake too, in fact I'm still saving money to spend on an SSD, so I'm stuck with my HDD.

I wish I had taken this into consideration when planning my budget :P

That I didn't sli my 780ti it's so hard to find one now a days ...

Yeah I was just looking at them the other day and realizing it will be hard to find one when or if I decide to sli mine, i feel your pain.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Binning is not the only option.

You could sell the parts, there is always someone for whom your 'out of date not good enough' gear is good (within their budget).

too much hassle imo aka im too lazy 

Yeah I was just looking at them the other day and realizing it will be hard to find one when or if I decide to sli mine, i feel your pain.

yea its pretty bad 

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

installing an i7-4771 when I had an H55 and Z87 board.....GTX 760...coulda gotten an 4670K plus a better GPU, and an installation problem.... forgot to install the backplate until AFTER I mounted the mobo.....Bonus! Routed PSU cables through the side and not the PSU cutout so I had to do all of that all over again!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I didn't do a good job of cable management figuring I could just fix it later, conveniently ignoring that I know I'm too lazy to do that. So it's pretty unsightly. Luckily it is out of sight and it works, which is the important part.

Cable Management?! I just bundled up a rat's nest and tied it down with two twist ties! Doesn't block any critical airflow, so I guess it works

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-powercool-pc-750auba-80plus-dual-rail-1x120mm-fan-atx-v22-psu

This shit stain nearly took both my CPU, baller motherboard and both 660s with it when it cut due to it not being good enough on all two of its rails. It runs but makes the worst noise ever. 

Also this crap board which i still have: http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/

That thing can only do 4.2-4.3GHz if your lucky before it cuts out due to the VRM being pants. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-powercool-pc-750auba-80plus-dual-rail-1x120mm-fan-atx-v22-psu

This shit stain nearly took both my CPU, baller motherboard and both 660s with it when it cut due to it not being good enough on all two of its rails. It runs but makes the worst noise ever. 

Also this crap board which i still have: http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/

That thing can only do 4.2-4.3GHz if your lucky before it cuts out due to the VRM being pants. 

Well they are both budget parts, so i am not surprised 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Well they are both budget parts, so i am not surprised 

It probably didn't help that it thought that two years ago, i was a complete newb when it came to this stuff. So i went for whatever was cheap. 

Now that's changed. Originally had a 650 Ti Boost though. That was a great little card. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It probably didn't help that it thought that two years ago, i was a complete newb when it came to this stuff. So i went for whatever was cheap. 

Now that's changed. Originally had a 650 Ti Boost though. That was a great little card. 

Yeah, Nvidias X50/X150 Ti, X70 and X80/X80 Ti cards were always the best ones 

Buying a graphics card with a reference cooler. You only make that mistake once though. :lol:

I went to a local computer store and had to make price compromises from my planed AMD fx 8150 to an AMD 6100... 

I've dealt with it for a year and just yesterday ordered my i7.

Buying a NZXT H440., Its a great case. But after a couple months of having it i realised i really dont give a crap about having a window. My brothers Define r4 is making me jelly.

Cheaped out on a case, and got a crappy (I lie, its a good psu) nonmodular PSU.... WIRES! WIRES EVERWHERE! 

Buying a FX 8350 for MMOs and Skyrim...

Recent games -- LoL, FO4, TESV, XCOM 2, Life is Strange, Overwatch, Ark, Total War Attila, Hearthstone.  <(^^,)>

I bought a 6800k

I bought a Thermaltake Commander ms-iii

I bought a horrible PSU

I bought "gamer" branded RAM

I bought an ASRock motherboard that was absolutely horrible

:) Almost refurbished my entire computer now

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken