Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Before I got a Zerolemon power bank, I purchased a 10,000 MAH power bank on Ebay that turned out to be a Chinese knock off. It wasn't that expensive, I was just mildly annoyed. I tend to read a ton of reviews and watch many YouTube videos before I buy a product so I haven't had many negative experiences.

I regret buying a couple qi wireless chargers, and a receiver for my phone.  Used them Twice and then never again. Oh well.

While my EVGA gtx 780 ftw is great, I really wish I had gotten a card with a reference pcb or something with a full cover water block available. I guess I could go the universal block route and use some little vrm heat sinks, but that doesn't look nearly as elegant.

My friend wanted to build a computer, so I planned and went to buy all the parts with her. I colour coordinated the whole build, but she decided last minute that she would rather save $30ish and not colour coordinate the build even though the case had a window. She regretted this decision about a week after the build was complete.

Another friend wanted to do a build, so I planned everything out. He bought an old used Z87 motherboard (at least 2 years old he said) even though I told him that he would need a Haswell refresh because the motherboard is too old to have the refresh. He ignored me. Turns out he actually did need a Haswell refresh and the guy he bought the board from didn't give him any documentation, sata cables, or even the I/O. The guy that sold the board to him only gave him the motherboard.

I bought SLI GTX560's and put them on a motherboard that didn't support SLI (AM3), used it for about a year and a half before I really started to know computers, then noticed it. That 560 was a beast though, I ran BF3 on Ultra with no problems so I would have never known the difference. :lol:

The case I bought had a shiny finish on the entire front, it was cover with finger prints like 30 seconds after getting it out of the box.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Using a slightly bent IO shield instead of leaving it off, now it's putting pressure on my motherboard (I hope it'll bend into shape from the pressure of my motherboard and the heat from my GPU)

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I went overkill on my PSU and got 720w for an i5 3570k and GTX 660SC.

Every topic I post in dies.

didnt get a k series chip (i was on a tight budget) but i have more of asn excuse to get an i7 now

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

the only thing I can think of is on my 1st system I had a full sized case and an matx board...simply cause its what I could afford and it made working on it a pain in the ass.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I cheaped on on my gpu for the sake of a better cpu. I don't particularly regret my decision because I actually needed the i7, and I was on a VERY tight budget, but going back I'd probably have bought the pc with integrated graphics and then bought a gpu later when I had the money for a better one. The gtx 550ti was fine, don't get me wrong, it could have been much worse, but still, I wish I had gone for a 560ti at least.

That's what I'm doing. Got the i7 4790K so I can afford the GTX 980 very soon. :D

Used a Maximums VI Formula instead of a VII Formula with my 4790K.  Probably makes 0 difference but there are moments it bugs me.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Initial bought into AMD, never worked properly, bought 2 CPU(both 965 but with a different revision, C2 and C3), tried 2 kit of RAM(G.skill and Patriot), 3 motherboard from 3 different manufacturer (MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte)... was always getting blue screen followed by Hyper Transport sync flood error. (and yes, I did re-format multiple times.)

Switched to Intel, bought a single CPU, a single motherboard, re-used the RAM and everything else. Worked from the get go and never got any blue screen since.

I will now think twice before going with AMD on the CPU side of things. I tried to give them a chance, I ended up wasting more money than it was worth. There's an obvious QC problem.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Only one major mistake, for the only PC I've built: waiting to buy the CPU + mobo, thinking that Intel would release a desktop K Broadwell CPU by feb 2015.

Well, I guess it could still still happen within the next few hours.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Decided to theme my machine after I had already bought all the hardware... *rattles paint cans*

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

That I didn't sli my 780ti it's so hard to find one now a days ...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=nvidia+780+ti&tbm=shop

pick one there is many

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

On a past build i chose AMD when i should have spent the extra money and gone with Intel/Nvidia to begin with.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

That's what I'm doing. Got the i7 4790K so I can afford the GTX 980 very soon. :D

Don't buy a 980, save your money ;) it's not even close to being worth the price. Either buy 2 R9 290/(x)s for cheaper which will give you much better performance, or wait for amd's next launch, which promises much better high end performance (the 900 series is underwhelming performancewise considering it still competes with a 3-year old architecture on that front). Buying a 980 now is a mistake imo.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well my casewas an aerocool "value" case. So crappy. But I picked it myself.

And my psu has ugly cables. But other than that everything is fine with my build I think. Or was. I changed the case ;-)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

1) Windows XP X64.

2) My first "OC-Build" was a P4 2.4GHz with stock cooler. Yeah, I learned about OC the "hard way"...

3) Put a GTX660ti OC into a Shuttle XPC (had to Mod the case, due to heat-issues).

4) My first PC had a Noname PSU - fried and lost a Harddrive AND the MB with it.

5) Didn't monitor my first Watercooled system: Leaked slowly onto the GPU and fried it.

5.1) That GPU was also running sickingly hot, because I didn't bother to cool the ram & vrms.

6) Bought a big, full metal Thermaltake Armor (v1) Case when I was 16. Had to carry it home (1-Hour walk + a crammed busride). And I'm not really "athletic".