Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Getting a H55 instead of an H75 etc

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Surely i can have a motherboard connect to wifi when its not wifi enabled.....

(yay asus wifi adapters!)

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Went with a off brand PSU, and bought a OCZ SSD.

Ouch

Have some Reddit Silver

sy9lVl4.jpg

Because he had a hard drive.

Let's see... I can't really think of anything, to be honest.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Went with a 4690k+Seidon 240m....kinda wish I had gone with a 4790k and a hyper 212. Not really something I regret per-say, and a 4690k is still way more than enough for anything I do, but a 4790k starts out at 4ghz and 4.4ghz would be a pretty easy overclock to achieve on a hyper 212...so for only a bit more I could've had an i7. Oh well.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Built a new PC for my Dad for Christmas this year. Bought a Fractal Core 1000 because it was on sale for $25, without looking into any detailed pics of it. The "front IO" is on the bottom right side. Not to mention that it was a total pain in the a** to cable manage (luckily I did think to buy a semi-modular PSU), and its quality just feels all-around cheap and generic..

The layout of the IO completely won't work with the way my Dad's desk is set up, so I had to buy a 5.25" bay USB panel, and I'm still probably going to be b*tched at because of that case.

Moral of the story: Spend the extra money on something that's worth it, and do your research before buying.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Most recent is getting an h100i and then realizing i have no 2x120cm+ fan cutouts on my case.. on the positive side ill get an Enthoo Pro and ditch the current shitty overpriced Thermaltake case.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Moral of the story: Spend the extra money on something that's worth it, and do your research before buying.

amen

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

For my current main PC, the biggest mistake was sticking with the default PSU cables on my AX1200i. They are definitely not the best when it comes to flexibility or length so my build currently looks a little messy, especially considering it's inside of a 760T which basically screams for clean looking builds. Luckily I do have a set of custom sleaved cables prepped and ready to go as soon as I can get off my lazy ass and actually rebuild the system with them.

Ryzen 7 5800X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | 64GB G.Skill 3600 MHz | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC | Phanteks P500ACorsair RM1000X | 3x2TB NVME, 4TB 870 Evo Arctic Freezer II 280 AIO | LG CX Oled 55" 

i choose a terrible case as well as not including a ssd because man battlefield takes forever to load a map

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

Ouch

Have some Reddit Silver

sy9lVl4.jpg

Lol, I recently bought a Samsung 840 EVO and a EVGA 650W PSU, so I'm all good now :)

Upgrading from my 8350 + ASUS M5A99FX to 4790k + ASUS Maximus VII Ranger.

Minimal performance gains across the board for everything.

Why is it that I made the exact same upgrade (except I have an MSI PC Mate) and that I don't regret my purchase?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

When I built my first PC from scratch I made a couple of bad choices I regretted later. This was in '05 so keep that in mind, I had my heart set on the Antec Sonata for its silence and decent looks. When I went to get my components though they didn't have any in stock and I made a split second decision to get a Lanboy instead. A case which looked decent but had blue LED fans everywhere. With the Sonata there were bright blue LEDs on the front but you could disconnect them, on the Lanboy they had LEDs even in the god damn power supply. Plus to make things worse it had a huge window so you could show off the non-existent cable management and brightly coloured non-modular PSU leads. Yeah.

The other regret was the fact that I didn't have much money left for a decent GPU. This was just as PCIe was coming out and to save a bit (quite a bit if memory serves) I went for an AGP motherboard, which was a decent move. However I got a fairly decent CPU, an AMD A64 3000+, and an Nvidia FX 5200. Which would be like pairing an i5 with an R5 230. I should have grabbed something in the $200 range rather than going with the $60 card. The CPU was still a pretty big bottleneck for games back then but it was still a pretty stupid pairing.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

My Vizio P 50" 4K TV. I wanted to use it as a monitor, I overlooked the Amazon chroma subsampling not real HDMI 2.0 complaints as uber leet speak for gamers. Turned out, Chroma Subsampling is a killer for programers, web browsing and excel sheets. Colored text appears absolutely horrible, I tried to live with it for 2 weeks... returned it on the 14th day. Now planning to get an LG UB8500. I considered an LG Ultrawide Curved WQHD monitor, but the light bleed and the loss of 3.2Million pixels to work with made me pause.

That would be my 3rd 4K display. The first one ( Seiki 39") I sold because I was moving, the colors were quite inaccurate and 30hz was and is annoying. The second ( Vizio P ) had harsh 4:2:0 subsampling.  The third one ( LG UB8500 48.5" ) will be the charm ? I hope so.

EDIT:

So on top of some complaints about 3D Polirization stripes visible while in 2D, I found the input lag of the monitor... which is quite bad and reafirms some complaints I've stumbled upon.

2014 49" LG 49UB8500 4K 64ms (Bad)

I'm going to have to say my recent Mamba purchase on the Razer store. It was an impulse buy and it was from the CES 2015 Appreciation Sale. 50% off the product so I paid 79.99CAD for it, Customs taxed me on the full price of $149.99CAD so I paid $22CAD for it only for it to die after 2 days of very light usage. Razer's RMA department is expecting me to pay for shipping to send it back for an exchange.  So much for saving 50% off.... >.< I am done with Razer. 

I regret buying my PC when i did, i purchased it in anticipation of GTAV coming to PC (4770k+GTX780). Had i known it would be delayed over and over i would have got a system with a 980 in it now for the same price  :unsure:

I'm going to have to say my recent Mamba purchase on the Razer store. It was an impulse buy and it was from the CES 2015 Appreciation Sale. 50% off the product so I paid 79.99CAD for it, Customs taxed me on the full price of $149.99CAD so I paid $22CAD for it only for it to die after 2 days of very light usage. Razer's RMA department is expecting me to pay for shipping to send it back for an exchange.  So much for saving 50% off.... >.< I am done with Razer. 

lel

/sorry

//seriously though, lel

I regret buying my PC when i did, i purchased it in anticipation of GTAV coming to PC (4770k+GTX780). Had i known it would be delayed over and over i would have got a system with a 980 in it now for the same price  :unsure:

This is why you buy something when you're going to use it and not in advance. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

lel

/sorry

//seriously though, lel

This is why you buy something when you're going to use it and not in advance. 

What can i say, i like to always be prepared /ready ahead of time lol 

You should've known better for a Rockstar game. They never release the PC version at the same time as the console version... then the "next gen" happened and it got delayed even more to make place for the "next gen" version of the game. And when they finally release a game, the port is atrocious, making you wonder if they were even working on the damn thing all this time or if it was "finished" months ago, waiting on a shelf for the "go-ahead" of Microsoft and Sony.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yeah i purchased in anticipation of a simultaneous release with PS4-X-Box one not the old gen consoles. Oh well you live and learn.

Its kinda hard to believe that another full 2 month delay just kinda snuck up on them 2 weeks prior to the most recent planned release, especially when they publicly denied any delay less than a week prior. Seems like more of a tactical move for whatever reason and very little to do with actual polish/optimization. 

Putting a Larcooler Loop in my build and not having access/plans to upgrade to a full loop with my GPU integrated.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Not really a bad decision, but I have a habit of tightening the motherboard screws too hard, so that when I try to loosen them, the standoffs just twirls with, O' happy day!

And maybe the PSU I bought for my first full build (just done upgrades before that), learned a year afterwards that I should not cheap out on PSUs. Never had problems with it though, but didn't get comfortable before I bought a new one 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

The only bad decision I have is having 2 different 21.5in 1080p monitors. I have to put one of them on an xbox 360 game case to get them to have the same height :P

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb