Microsoft admits 'we've lost our way' on PC games

XTankSlayerX

philspencer-xbox-1.jpg 

^SOURCE^

He also committed to building games for HoloLens, the futuristic augmented reality goggles that Microsoft promised would be out in the Windows 10 time frame.

"We see this as a full Windows 10 device," Spencer said

The way forward, then, is in changing how Microsoft thinks about its customers: They're not people who play games on Windows PCs, or tablets, or consoles. They're customers of the Xbox Live service. That means that games can and should work across multiple devices, with the same friends list and the same high scores, and people should be able to play each other no matter what device they're on.

"Xbox" no longer means consoles, said Spencer. It means "gaming with Microsoft."

As for HoloLens, Spencer says that it's a natural extension of Microsoft's new philosophy towards Windows 10, and will receive the same level of support and multi-platform cohesion.

The takeaway for the developers at the conference: They can reach a broader audience (and make more money) without having to go through the hassle of developing for multiple screen sizes and operating systems. After all, every single Windows 10 device is going to have the built-in Xbox app.

I've lost track how many times MS has once and once again committed to PC Gamers...

They seem to be all bark and no bite really.

I don't really think any of the Xbox Games are worth anything on PC, Not sure why I think this but perhaps is because I have a bitter taste in my mouth due to Forza becoming a DLC... Game, A game that's mostly DLC.

I think its too little too late, unless they port some Xbox One games. Could MS take Valve's place in the PC Market?

As Jon Snow is fond of saying:

Words are wind.

I would love to believe Phil Spencer. I think Windows 10 has the promise to really be a good thing for PC gamers. I also see an excellent opportunity for "Microsoft Exclusive" games (Eg: Take X-Box Exclusives, and port them to the Windows 10 App Store - Goddangit, give me Halo series, Forza series, and Red Dead Redemption!).

But Microsoft has been less than genuine with it's PC Gamer promises in the past. So I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach.

(Someone posted this first, but got locked because all they posted was a link. I had my reply ready but didn't post it in time! Been waiting for someone to re-post it so I could finally add in my thoughts on the matter)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So windows 10 has promise for gamers and it's not related to the fact that they making it so other versions of windows can't run the newest direct x?
Yah know that thing that's just a few DLL files that you have have to put more work into making NOT work with old versions of windows than you would letting it work? 
Ok. 

You fucktards are also the ones holding back internet standards. I'm ok with Internet explorer as a web developer-if it's the latest version. 
But you won't stop making IE some feature exclusive to certain versions of windows, as if people actually upgrade for that, nor will you make it auto updating. So I'm stuck supporting Ie8 from five fucking years ago. If chrome or firefox support some new ccs thing or something, I can use it immediately because the browser auto-updates for all users. 
For IE, the support may be lacking, but it gets there eventually. That would be fine, IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO WAIT FIVE FUCKING YEARS FOR THE CURRENT VERSION OF IE TO BE THE OLDEST ONE IN USE!

Seriously Microsoft, as a both a gamer and a web developer- 

Fuck you. With all of my heart. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Microsoft needs to get their shit together on PC gaming.

Either release an "XboxOS" for Windows 10+ where you can play Xbox games on a PC with any Xbox One  or PC user....OR STFU & GTFO of PC gaming altogether. 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

just give me back pinball with windows and im happy. was a damn good pinball table that came with win...xp I think? 

All talk no action.

Microsoft has been saying things like this for the past decade and nothing has ever come from them.

Oh and them bringing a wireless adapter for Xbox One controllers to work on PC isn't even close to appeasing PC gamers.

If they really want to make us interested in their products then they should bring their games to PC with no DRM BS other than Steam.

"Gaming with Microsoft", ok then, give us all the Xbox exclusives on PC, hell, a working Xbox emulator would be sweet.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

"They're not people who play games on Windows PCs, or tablets, or consoles. They're customers of the Xbox Live service"

aah no we're not

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Could MS take Valve's place in the PC Market?

They absolutely could. They have the perfect market position to do so in fact.

It's just that gaming is probably just one of many of concerns at Microsoft. Whereas at valve everybody is focused on pc gaming and in touch with the gaming community- so it may be easier for them to keep up as a company... But if Microsoft gets the right people in the right places they absolutely could do it.

More than likely just another "white lie" from Microsoft. They have done it in the past many times and they probably won't stop now.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Halo please!

The first thing they can do for PC gaming is to get rid of this cross-platform play idea they've got floating around. At least for any game where playing on the PC would give you an advantage. I don't want my games being gimped for the sake of fairness.

The way forward, then, is in changing how Microsoft thinks about its customers: They're not people who play games on Windows PCs, or tablets, or consoles.

That's exactly what the fuck we are.

They're customers of the Xbox Live service.

Gaben please no!

games can and should work across multiple devices, with the same friends list and the same high scores, and people should be able to play each other no matter what device they're on.

Was like this for some old games [including on the mobile market (still common there)] but it should never have changed. PC and conslow should be separated in the Leaderboard section though.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Nothing will happen.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I just want Halo. Let me play Halo without needing to buy a $350 box that will get almost zero use. Do that and I'll be stoked.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

All talk no action.

Microsoft has been saying things like this for the past decade and nothing has ever come from them.

Oh and them bringing a wireless adapter for Xbox One controllers to work on PC isn't even close to appeasing PC gamers.

If they really want to make us interested in their products then they should bring their games to PC with no DRM BS other than Steam.

I already don't buy their games so a xbone wireless adapter would actually greatly appease me.  My titanfall controller needs one bad. (i don't have an xbone)

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I would love to believe him (other than cross platform play because in FPS games the console users would have no chance of winning). Too bad they have said similar things before and disappointed.

Maybe people would be more pleased if they stopped TALKING about how to improve PC gaming and actually DID SOMETHING to improve it.

I just want Halo. Let me play Halo without needing to buy a $350 box that will get almost zero use. Do that and I'll be stoked.

Never gonna happen

Every once in a while I am tempted to hunt down a dozen links to articles and interviews in which MS promises treating PC gaming the right way.

Sometimes their presentations are borderline insulting. Like the one for the initial dx12 reveal. "Here, we ported a xbox exclusive to PC, it only took a couple months for a couple guys to do it". Cool, is the port coming to PC? "Nope, we just did it for teh lulz".

This guy should be present whenever MS talks PC gaming:

hqdefault1unl35.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

I'm happy, I don't care about any of their games except for maybe Forza Horizon.

Okay I'm expecting every Xbox One exclusive title to come to PC then. 

Halo Remastered, Reach,Halo Wars (an rts),Forza, and allow modding and private servers these games belong in pc in 60 fps +, mouse and keyboard, full 1080p,1440p,2160p support.in dx 12. :angry:

We can't believe a single letter of M$'s promises regarding PC gaming.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

We can't believe a single letter of M$'s promises regarding PC gaming.

Agreed mean while Gabe releases Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3. Team Fortress 3, and finally Half Life 3 in the shiny new Source 2 Engine and porting these games on Linux (Steam OS). Then Microsoft will lose a major population because they don't improve and become nothing other than a middle man in the eyes of gamers/developers.