Microsoft now pays AdBlock Plus to not have its ads blocked

GoodBytes

Microsoft is another company joining Google, Taboola, and Amazon, to pay to not have AdBlock Plus lock their add with the default black list.

Online advertising is a $120 billion business, and AdBlock Plus wants a piece of the pie.

Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Taboola have all paid to have advertisements go unblocked on their websites for users that are running Adblock Plus. Adblock Plus, unsurprisingly, blocks ads, unless a company pays Eyeo, the company that produces Adblock Plus, or meets certain conditions. If companies are forthright that they are posting advertisements and the ads are deemed as not disruptive they can be added to a ‘whitelist’ that allows them to go unblocked but being placed on the white list is only free if they are a smaller website. It but comes at a cost for larger companies.

Online advertising is a $120 billion business and blocking ads has been a controversial subject. Websites often only make money off of advertisement and the amount that they can charge advertisers is dependent upon how many viewers their site receives

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-others-pay-have-ads-go-unblocked-through-adblock-plus

Doesn't adblock have some ads allowed if they follow some rules ???

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Good thing I use adblock and not adblock plus. Although adblock probably also lets some ad sources through.

Which is why I also have Disconnect and HostsMan.

No ads make it through to me  :D

I'm going to shove all sorts of adds on the gap under your door! You are not immune to them! :angry:

I think I touched on this before as well, and people were somehow okay with ADP doing this. 

Double dipping is what ADP is doing. Its shady and scummy as hell. 

Double dipping? it's free to begin with.

If you actually look into the issue, hell even the quotes in the OP, you'll see why "some people were somehow okay with this". First of all, adblock plus attempts to encourage ads to be less intrusive through a system where there is an option inside adblock plus to allow nondisruptive ads (no popups, no animations, no malware or bullcrap). There is a fee with getting your ad reviewed for *possibly* being put on the allowed list. This is what adblock plus is being paid for. Inclusion in a user defined option to allow unintrusive advertising through.

I know some people dislike even this system, but quite frankly, if you think the best way to criticize a system is to outright lie about what it is (like the title does) or make up shit you're shooting yourself in the foot.

I just can't express how much I hate adblock. I mean to everyone using adblock, would you like to pay a subscription to access every site you visit, or do you think maintaining them is free?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I'm just going to jump onto a different adblock. or I'll make one. even if it takes me years. I'll make one as a huge middle finger.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with the thought.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

I stopped using adblock over a year ago, no regerts.

i don't think its the viewers right to decide whether or not someone gets paid, after they have used the service

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

This is why I installed every chrome plugin that had "adblock" in its name. If one of the them sells out I still got the rest. Fuck these guys.

Has already been made

It works across your entire PC, all apps and browsers. No need to fiddle with extensions and addons. Blocks not just ad servers but also malicious domains.

And most importantly no one can pay to get excluded from the block list.

Here I have an additional source file that blocks all Google ad servers

Does it block spotify ads? Right now I'm using ezblocker and it just mutes the audio ads.

I just want these ads to be unobtrusive, and to actually work.

The reason I first got into such adblocking was to just mute the annoying side ads like "pop santa's zits and win a free ____" with all their annoying sounds.
Later it was to stop videos from autoloading/playing for the same reason, and the website would take forever to load. - It took a long time for anything better than Dial up to come where I live.
These days its because a lot of ads I find are glitchy and crash Flash or take the whole browser/tab down with it. The "Halo Spartan Assault" "interactive video" ad always did that to me for some reason no matter what computer or browser I used, yet I never saw a single complaint online about it.

Well theres plenty of choices so meh, adblock creators must be swimming in money by now.

No idea how they still exist and didnt get their asses sued.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

If you actually look into the issue, hell even the quotes in the OP, you'll see why "some people were somehow okay with this". First of all, adblock plus attempts to encourage ads to be less intrusive through a system where there is an option inside adblock plus to allow nondisruptive ads (no popups, no animations, no malware or bullcrap). There is a fee with getting your ad reviewed for *possibly* being put on the allowed list. This is what adblock plus is being paid for. Inclusion in a user defined option to allow unintrusive advertising through.

Are you sure there is a fee for having your ad reviewed? I don't see anything about a fee on their website.

If there is a fee then I can see why some people think it is bad but if there is no fee then I honestly don't understand why anyone hates AdBlock Plus, unless you like ads filled with malware, auto-playing sound, fake download buttons and so on.

For those of you who are interested, here is the list of criteria for ads that are whitelisted by AdBlock Plus must meet. By whitelisted I mean, if they do meet all these criteria and you contact AdBlock Plus, your ad will be displayed by default for the people who use AdBlock Plus (unless they manually change the settings to also block those ads).

• Static advertisements only (no animations, sounds or similar)
  • Preferably text only, no attention-grabbing images
  • Ad placement:
    • Ads should never obscure page content (e.g. require users to click a button to close the ad before viewing the page).
    • For pages featuring a reading text ads should not be placed in the middle, where they interrupt the reading flow. However, they can be placed above the text content, below it or on the sides. The same applies to search results pages: paid search results cannot be mixed with organic results.
    • When ads are placed above the content of a main page, they should not require the user to scroll down. The available vertical space is likely to be at least 700 pixels. Advertising should not occupy more than one-third of that height. Paid search results on search pages are allowed to occupy more space, but they should never outnumber organic results.
    • When placed on the side ads should leave enough space for the main content. The available horizontal space can be expected to be at least 1000 pixels, and advertising should not occupy more than a third of that width.
  • Advertising should be clearly marked as such with the word "advertising" or its equivalent, and it should be distinguishable from page content, for instance via a border and/or different a background color.
  • Marking and placement requirements do not apply for hyperlinks with affiliate referrer IDs embedded in the content of the page. Additional criteria for hyperlinks with affiliate referrer IDs:
    • Redirects originating from the hyperlink should not present any other webpage than the destination page.
    • In texts, not more than 2 percent of the words can be hyperlinked for monetization purposes.
    • Hyperlinks should not be formatted or behave differently than other links.
    • Hyperlinks should not be misleading, in either content or placement.

If all ads on the Internet followed those requirements then I wouldn't use AdBlock. I also manually whitelist sites I think have acceptable ads, but sadly that's only a handful of sites that I have seen.

If the ads aren't intrusive and crap who cares

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

AdBlock you sellouts.  More of commerce at it's finest.

Now let me say though I haven't used any advertising blocking software in a very long time now so anyway ...

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well my wall still stands...

BxbGnqJ.png

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

That's complete trash. It's one thing to just block ads but to hold the space for ransom...space on OTHER PEOPLE'S WEBSITE...that's super trashy...I think I'll go find another adblocker. Personally I don't mind ads that aren't intrusive (i.e. don't play audio, video or obscure the page) but since most websites don't actually seem to care what kind of ads get played the only alternative is to block the ads.

Why doesn't google just block it from there chrome extensions? (i know there are other browsers but still)

Why doesn't google just block it from there chrome extensions? (i know there are other browsers but still)

Because it is not breaking any rules, and chances are they would lose a lot of Chrome users if they did that.

AdBlock you sellouts.  More of commerce at it's finest.

Now let me say though I haven't used any advertising blocking software in a very long time now so anyway ...

They only allow non intrusive advertising, which is fine. They also provide this service for FREE for smaller websites. Possibly like this one.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

a dont even mind ads to  begin with. As long as they are not popup, intrusive, moving content around webpages or cover shit up with annoying animations it's all good.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I would like to not block Youtube ads, but ever since YT put an ad in the MIDDLE of every video, I am forced to.

Some other sites have crappy noisy, retarded ("You won't believe what happened next" or "5 selfies they regret") or moving/ heavy-bandwith ads which I block using userscripts in Maxthon.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It gives you the option to disable even the whitelisted ones