FCC changes legal definition of 'broadband' to 25 Mbps/3 Mbps

Source: Engadget

Author: Chris Velazco

Original Source: FCC.gov

"FCC more than quintuples the legal definition of 'broadband'"

In a 3-2 decision the Federal Communications Commission has voted to change the legal definition of "Broadband" from 4 Mbps down/1Mbps up to 25 Mbps down/3 Mbps up. This is more than a 5x increase to speeds services providers will need to offer in order to apply to use the label.

fcc-logo_black-on-white.jpg

The FCC regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable

Engadget states the average American receives a paltry 11 Mbps down and after this decision some 17 percent of Americans no longer have what is legally defined as "Broadband" internet.

This seems to be somewhat of a middle ground decision as the commissioner of the FCC, Jessica Rosenworcel, has stated that she believes the definition, "frankly, should be 100 Mbps." This still seems to be a great move in the right direction.

chartoftheday_2783_Top_10_Countries_With

Image Credit: Statista

Engadget pointed out that the FCC has no power to force ISPs to increase their speeds based on this decision. However, it could have implications in regards to subsidies the government provides to ISPs in the name of increasing broadband infrastructure and expansion.

I myself now barely fall into the "Broadband" definition based on the 25 Mbps/4 Mbps speeds provided by Comcast in my area. Could this help the US move up the list of countries with the fast Broadband internet speeds?

FX-8350 | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | 16 GB (2x8 1600Mhz) Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC Dual | Corsair Vengeance C70 | 120GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1TB WD Black | Corsair AX860i | 2x BenQ XL2420TE | Corsair H110 | Logitech G15 | Logitech G500 | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Windows 8.1

Maybe my ISP will up my speed for free. Probably not.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Woo! Barely but it passed. Don't know how much this will actually do but definitely a step in the right direction. A very small step...but a step nontheless 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

No, they'll just relabel you from broadband. :P

Probably, I already got above broadband previously. Now I'm quite a bit below.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Maybe my ISP will up my speed for free. Probably not.

Doubt it. Your service will probably just be renamed to some some marketing play on narrowband.

YES, this is really good. I no longer have broadband internet though, with my meager 4Mbps. I really hope that this will inspire ISP's to do something about their terribleness

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Nice, and for the two who voted against it should have their Internet slowed to 4/1mbps and see how they like watching their Netflix/youtube on that.

*can't seem to type today

A three to two decision... I want to know the two dumbasses that voted against raising the defintion.

Still politics man. Revolving door. Work for Comcast for 5 years -> get put on the FCC -> vote in favor of pro-telecom decisions -> Get cushier job at Comcast -> go back to FCC -> Join telecom Lobby group.

Repeat until your bank account size makes up for all other inadequacies.

FX-8350 | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | 16 GB (2x8 1600Mhz) Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC Dual | Corsair Vengeance C70 | 120GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1TB WD Black | Corsair AX860i | 2x BenQ XL2420TE | Corsair H110 | Logitech G15 | Logitech G500 | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Windows 8.1

Whats sad is our cable modem is over 10 years old... and they just replaced our previous one last year due to lightning strike. 

The fastest my net ever gets is still a sixth of the definition of broadband. Damn satellite!

Hopefully the Canadian Federal Government takes notice and sees the statement that has been made by the US.  Seriously eventually it will get to a point where they can't sell lower speeds to others except at a much more discounted rate.  People want broadband and not something less.  Canada is pretty much the US as we follow their lead in many ways and are their whipping boy so I hope that in this situation our government follows what the US has done.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

There's something odd with those speeds.They are very low everywhere.

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

YES, this is really good. I no longer have broadband internet though, with my meager 4Mbps. I really hope that this will inspire ISP's to do something about their terribleness

Well, this is for the US, as it's decided by the FCC. So for those of us outside of the US, it's still the same. (I think, at least)

Well, this is for the US, as it's decided by the FCC. So for those of us outside of the US, it's still the same. (I think, at least)

I know, but usually the rest of the Western World follows the US, unfortunatly in most cases. I hope they will now too.

Edit:

I just did a quick google search, and apperantly the definition of broadband here in the NL folllows that of the FCC (or maybe the OESO, it isn't clear, and the OESO has defined it as 0.256 Mbps down.....)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

they cant force them

but ISPs cant call it broadband if its under 25

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I have 100 Mbit/s for as low as 5$, FUCK yeah :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Yay?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

I know, but usually the rest of the Western World follows the US, unfortunatly in most cases. I hope they will now too.

Edit:

I just did a quick google search, and apperantly the definition of broadband here in the NL folllows that of the FCC (or maybe the OESO, it isn't clear, and the OESO has defined it as 0.256 Mbps down.....)

Well, even if the definition doesn't change, hopefully ISPs in other regions will start upping their speeds. I'm lucky to have 15/2 at the moment. 

I'm less concerned with download speeds as I am with upload, as thats become my limiting factor for some of the things I need to do. At my current speeds, its faster to put my content onto a SSD and simply drive it over to the persons house than it is to upload.