Windows 10 to Still Offer a 32-bit Option

RH00D

In a move to tempt long-standing users, Microsoft is to offer a 32-bit version of Windows 10.

apertura-windows-10-32.jpg

Gabriel Aul, the head of the Windows Insider Program has taken to Twitter to announce that Microsoft will be offering a 32-bit version of Windows 10, citing a large number of users who continue to operate 32-bit machines.

The main strength of the Windows operating system is the enormous user-base, billions of people work from over a billion Windows machines on a daily basis. In this fascinatingly complex sprawl of hardware and software combinations, there is still a significant number of users living and working on 32-bit versions of the operating system. As of December 2014, nearly 71,000,000 machines are still running 32-bit versions of Windows, although 92.8% of Windows machines, with a BIOS age of under 1 year, now sold are 64-bit.

It is likely that the number of users far exceeds this number, as this is only represents those who receive patches. As such, it is estimated that hundreds of millions of users still work from 32-bit machines.

I really wish we could move on from 32-bit. We've had widely available 64-bit desktop CPUs since 2003 with AMD's Athlon 64 series.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/move-tempt-long-standing-users-microsoft-offer-32-bit-version-windows-10

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Understandable, some people still are using 32-bit systems, and don't want to upgrade.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Understandable, some people still are using 32-bit systems, and don't want to upgrade.

It's not about that, it's mostly people on 64-bit systems who use programs that don't work on 64-bit, just ask like every UK hospital ever.

Programs like IBM PCIS are still in use today, it doesn't work on 64-bit, so they have to use 32-bit windows. There are other programmes too which are 32-bit only, and it costs tens of millions of pounds to upgrade the infrastructure behind that programme; if you were a business, you too would want 32-bit Windows 10.

Compatible with Windows 95

In a move to tempt long-standing users, Microsoft is to offer a 32-bit version of Windows 10.

apertura-windows-10-32.jpg

I really wish we could move on from 32-bit. We've had widely available 64-bit desktop CPUs since 2003 with AMD's Athlon 64 series.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/move-tempt-long-standing-users-microsoft-offer-32-bit-version-windows-10

A lot of the small tablets can only run full-fledged windows because of the fact that it is 32-bit. Don't just think of the desktops - consider every area where Windows is implemented.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

this is very good news

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Doesn't 32-bit time rune out somewhat soon? Why bother with 32-bit in that case?

legacy legacy legacy!

Just like tomblamber01 said, there are a lot of business that rely on software and hardware that is not compatible with 64. And even if they upgrade their PCs and re-do their software there are a lot of extremely expensive machines (functioning perfectly)  that would have to be purchased again; health related, industrial, printing, etc.

Doesn't 32-bit time rune out somewhat soon? Why bother with 32-bit in that case?

I think 32bit UNIX time is still good for another 20 odd years but its something you can code around.

I think 32bit UNIX time is still good for another 20 odd years but its something you can code around.

True, but it's not that long time if you actually think of it.

Considering how many mobile devices still use 32 bit arm chips this makes sense.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I love my legacy stuff would be nice if it could continue working 

True, but it's not that long time if you actually think of it.

That's true (especially with W10 shaping up to be the next long term windows ;)) but if they are aware of it they can account for the rollover or patch it later.

Considering how many mobile devices still use 32 bit arm chips this makes sense.

Your ARM stuff wont run this anyway ;P

Pretty much mandatory once you factor in the mobile market that Microsoft wants to hit with this "All In One" operating system.

/me wonders how long it'd take 64 bit to disappear (once 128 starts showing), then 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384 . . . .

there is little indication we will ever go higher than 64bit, in the time until quantum computing takes off, and then we go again :P 1qb, 2qb, 4qb, 8qb, 16qb, etc ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

/me wonders how long it'd take 64 bit to disappear (once 128 starts showing), then 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384 . . . .

we are so far from needing 128 anyway

there is little indication we will ever go higher than 64bit, in the time until quantum computing takes off, and then we go again :P 1qb, 2qb, 4qb, 8qb, 16qb, etc ;)

inb4 quantum computer ^^

Yes but that will change within the next year. Intel has won 5 big contracts for 64-bit Atoms for phones in 2015, and Apple already went 64-bit. Qualcomm is also already transitioning. That only leaves Samsung holding on. Of course older phone models will still be sold, but 64-bit is here and here permanently.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

We have until 2039 or so. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It's nice to have backwards compatibility. They should always support it forever.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Then don't upgrade to windows 10 ??? That's what I would say to them.

Spoiler