Windows 10 to Still Offer a 32-bit Option

RH00D

Yes but that will change within the next year. Intel has won 5 big contracts for 64-bit Atoms for phones in 2015, and Apple already went 64-bit. Qualcomm is also already transitioning. That only leaves Samsung holding on. Of course older phone models will still be sold, but 64-bit is here and here permanently.

Samsung has 64bit processors as well.

when did Exynos move up?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well, grandparents, mothers, very young kids and other light user dont need mote than 4gb or ram.

I personally dont care :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

And only 3gb ram doesnt it?

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

when did Exynos move up?

With the launch of the Note 4. The Note 4 doesn't run in 64bit mode because it's still on Android KitKat but the cores are A53 + A57.

A little while later (middle of October to be more precise) they rebranded the SoC in the Note 4 as the "Exynos 7 Octa". It's a pretty balling chip.

And only 3gb ram doesnt it?

Right now, yes only 3GB of RAM.

There are far bigger benefits to 64bit ARM than just more RAM though.

With the launch of the Note 4. The Note 4 doesn't run in 64bit mode because it's still on Android KitKat but the cores are A53 + A57.

A little while later (middle of October to be more precise) they rebranded the SoC in the Note 4 as the "Exynos 7 Octa". It's a pretty balling chip.

Right now, yes only 3GB of RAM.

There are far bigger benefits to 64bit ARM than just more RAM though.

Fair enough. All the more reason 32-bit should be dead by the turn of the year.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I think they should have 64bit only. It would make moving forward a lot easier as a developer so they would only have to dev for one architecture, plus has the extra head room.

If they people still want 32bit they can stick with older OS's IMO

while (true) {

live();

}

Those really requiring legacy support are largely on 7 or XP still, and win10 will not even be on their radar at all.

So kill 32, kill it with fire

When in doubt, re-format.

Good, many people are still using old computers with Windows XP.

If Windows 10's performance will be as good as XP's (or even 8.1's) then it's gonna be the best OS to move those people to, if they cannot use linux for whatever reason.

So a 32bit version is necessary.

Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Too many people who say no to 32bit don't understand the technology infrastructure most businesses have in place.

32bit is going to be needed for some time. It is what it is.

- Alston

Let's see which OS could move to 64 bit only first- Android or Windows. 

My two cents, make 64 bit ONLY and force 64 bit wide spread adoption (software specifically). If your hardware can't run x64, guess what, you don't need windows 10! 

I see the issue with mobile devices, some are only 32 bit, guess what. Too bad, you are stuck with 8.1 until you get hardware that is on par with 2015 standards, hell, 2005 desktop standards!

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Understandable, some people still are using 32-bit systems, and don't want to upgrade.

It's not people, but rather corporations, businesses and industries. There are still a scary number of machines out there (being used daily) running Windows 2000.

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

Then don't upgrade to windows 10 ??? That's what I would say to them.

Perfectly said. The people who still need 32bit shouldn't be upgrading the OS anyway, IMO. But if M$ did start making 64bit ONLY, then it would force software companies to get off their lazy ass & start making future versions of their products work on 64bit systems. Then once the hardware in a given industry does finally need an upgrade, the new hardware will have software ready for it.

Do you really think a person who watches youtube makes documents and only watches movies on there pc need a 64bit version? why pay for 4 gb ram more if 4 gb and 3 ram is enough :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Do you really think a person who watches youtube makes documents and only watches movies on there pc need a 64bit version? why pay for 4 gb ram more if 4 gb and 3 ram is enough :)

some one who want to do all 3 + have 10 google tab open

Too many people who say no to 32bit don't understand the technology infrastructure most businesses have in place.

32bit is going to be needed for some time. It is what it is.

This.... I don't get why people are complaining when it's not even going to effect them whatsoever. Unless they are the ones developing the new OS's they have no room to complain.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

This.... I don't get why people are complaining when it's not even going to effect them whatsoever. Unless they are the ones developing the new OS's they have no room to complain.

Perfectly said. Why they're bitching about if they will use 64bit ver. anyway. 

Some programs are not built for 64 bit, and need a 32 bit system.
This is actually more common on the Point of Sale system part of the market. 

On one hand, devs need to leave 32 bit behind already and they will not do that until 32 bit OS's are extinct.
And on the other hand, OS devs need to stop making 32 bit systems, but they will not do that until they can be sure they won't lose market share because they did not support 32 bit.

It's a circle and someone needs to stop it. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Yes but that will change within the next year. Intel has won 5 big contracts for 64-bit Atoms for phones in 2015, and Apple already went 64-bit. Qualcomm is also already transitioning. That only leaves Samsung holding on. Of course older phone models will still be sold, but 64-bit is here and here permanently.

Many budget devices will still be stuck on 32 bit for a little while.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Heh, my desktop is actually running an AMD Athlon X2. I like this approach since it opens the doors for mobile devices to utilize the new Windows(Including mine).

Many budget devices will still be stuck on 32 bit for a little while.

I doubt it. Google and Apple both don't like maintaining 2 different code bases, and Windows Phone OS isn't very popular. Since in fact all major ARM players and Intel have moved to 64-bit, it will just come down to having 2, 4, 6, or 8 cores.