Sony starts hacking back their data!

XTankSlayerX

185521160.jpg

Sony apparently isn't rolling over as hackers breach and pilfer its data. As a way to fight back, the company is using hacking methods of its own to combat illegal downloads of its property, according to Recode. The entertainment giant is harnessing Amazon Web Services (the backend that hosts Netflix, Instagram and many others) to launch a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack on websites hosting the stolen assets, as Recode's sources tell it. Given how vocal the Guardians of Peace have been so far during their campaign against the outfit, we'll likely know just how accurate these reports are in short order.

Sony's mad and panicking, ill update the thread to my normal style when I get home

They should just pour coffee on their server racks to prevent their stuff from getting stolen.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I hate fat looser pirates but this is dirty.

Google Maps my location! 4th house from the corner on the left!

They should just pour coffee on their server racks to prevent their stuff from getting stolen.

Dq8TplT.jpg

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Uh, Sony is commiting a DDoS attack? That's illegal.

If this is true then somebody needs to go to jail.

Probably fbi sponsored

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

jesus christ...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

*Sigh* this isn't the first time and it won't be the last that the Government doesn't listen to its own rules...

Has it ever?

Yeah, its probably not the best thing to do... I'd rather contract a group of hackers to hack the files of the sites...

Still doesn't make it legal :|

*Sigh* this isn't the first time and it won't be the last that the Government doesn't listen to its own rules...

YEH BECAUSE #USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CLEARLY GREATEST COUNTRYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!111!!1!!1!!!!ONEONEONE

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I'm honestly not even sure why they ever had so much unreleased material and sensitive data on a networked server in the first place. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

is DDOS'ing illegal if you are being attacked???

isnt kind of like self-defense? goal isnt to kill someone, but try to make them stop doing whatever they are doing using force if needed. 

this might form a grey area...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'm honestly not even sure why they ever had so much unreleased material and sensitive data on a networked server in the first place. 

idk because it has to go somewhere smart one.

Has it ever?

Yeah, its probably not the best thing to do... I'd rather contract a group of hackers to hack the files of the sites...

Or raid the place that the hacking occurred? The files are probably backed up and are in cold storage in different locations. A DDoS attack and hacking them back isn't going to do squat, sadly. If they did hack in just do a "rm -rf" on everything! haha.

is DDOS'ing illegal if you are being attacked???

isnt kind of like self-defense? goal isnt to kill someone, but try to make them stop doing whatever they are doing using force if needed. 

this might form a grey area...

It's illegal in nearly all first world countries and is punishable with jail time. Personally I do not think it matters if it's used defensively or offensively, it hurts everyone and the Internet as a whole.

idk because it has to go somewhere smart one.

And It's impossible to store it on a none networked machine? Anything I have that I'd not want getting out isn't stored on networked devices.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

And It's impossible to store it on a none networked machine? Anything I have that I'd not want getting out isn't stored on networked devices.

I suppose they are supposed to use sneakernet?

Not when Government is on their back. 

81d6ad4726f5062ca6a28df79ec8766dac9e755a

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Hur dur Sony is a japanese company. It doesn't have to follow US law. 

they have a branch in the US, so it applies I think. Though I don't think japan has laws to deal with this.

Hur dur Sony is a japanese company. It doesn't have to follow US law.

Completely wrong. To operate in the US they have to agree to follow US laws. They could just no longer operate here, but that would be a very bad move. Its like what's happening with Google in the EU right now.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Wow wow wow. It's only a unconfirmed rumour. People act like Sony has committed the crime already.

Probably fbi sponsored

Jesus Christ you guy, you wanna be grabbed from the street, blindfolded and bundled into the back of a van next time your walking down the street?  :ph34r:

Honestly though I seriously doubt the authenticity of this, they can't be that stupid as to actually tell people they're doing it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)