[YouTube/OCN] PSY- Gangnam Style view count 32bit integer overflow

WolfDeville

For those that can't read the comment from the YouTube account it says this:

We never thought a video would be watched in numbers greater than a 32-bit integer (=2,147,483,647 views), but that was before we met PSY. "Gangnam Style" has been viewed so many times we have to upgrade!

Hover over the counter in PSY's video to see a little math magic and stay tuned for bigger and bigger numbers on YouTube. 

It is pretty neat. But I do wonder if any other video will surpass the maximum 32-bit integer amount?

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

damn

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

The next closest thing to hitting that is Justin Beiber's baby.. Oh god whats happened to humanity

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Isn't 2 billion like the half of the internet?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

inb4 "faith in humanity" bullshit

too late.

It's already fixed now I guess.

zK7IEUH.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Oh god whats happened to humanity

Oh yes, people watching a music video that was "the thing" at the time and known everywhere. Shame on them for watching a video on youtube. Watching that video on youtube is clearly a reflection of the state of humanity. 

Are you in drama class? If not, you should be. You're so fucking dramatic you could probably outdo Daniel Day Lewis as the most dramatic actor on Earth. 

I have lost all faith in 32-bit intergers

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Oh yes, people watching a music video that was "the thing" at the time and known everywhere. Shame on them for watching a video on youtube. Watching that video on youtube is clearly a reflection of the state of humanity. 

Are you in drama class? If not, you should be. You're so fucking dramatic you could probably outdo Daniel Day Lewis as the most dramatic actor on Earth. 

Lol, are you ok? I didn't mean to hit your soft spot for Justin Beiber, as I apparently did with my joke. Yes, that was supposed to be a joke. However, sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet, so I don't blame you for not seeing it. 

I was not trying being dramatic at all. In my opinion, and what seems to be the opinion of MANY other human on the internet, Justin Beiber's music is probably some of the least talented music that has been produced in recent years. What I was implying when I said "what's happened to humanity" is that I was disappointed with the fact that a video with over 4 million dislikes has more views than some of the genuinely good videos made by skilled people on YouTube. I have nothing against watching music videos on YouTube in fact, I do it all the time. Just the fact that something so bad (in my opinion, along with more than 4 million other people) can become so viral, is kinda sad to me. "Mainstream" music in my opinion, has become progressively worse year by year. "Baby" having over 1 billion views just proves that point. 

I wasnt trying to outdo Daniel Day Lewis, whoever that is. I was just stating my disappointment on what I feel has become music. I have nothing against people who like JB, by the way, just I feel as though he should not get as much credit for his music as he has been getting, then again, everyone has their own taste in music.

No need to get vulgar over someone saying their opinion, either. That was a bit uncalled for. Sorry if I hurt you.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Fookin hell

There are only 3,706,452,992 IP address in the wild, it saddens me to think two thirds of people globally on the internet have clicked on that shit, I mean c'mon. I am in my 30s and still love happy hardcore so my tastes are broad but even I cant get my head around gangnam style, plus I work at a school and had it crammed down my throat daily for months.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Why couldn't they just have used an unsigned integer (although 64-bit is the proper solution)? Then this problem would probably be delayed by many more years. Also, why would you need support for a negative number of views?

The comments on the blog post are awesome.

Fookin hell

There are only 3,706,452,992 IP address in the wild, it saddens me to think two thirds of people globally on the internet have clicked on that shit, I mean c'mon. I am in my 30s and still love happy hardcore so my tastes are broad but even I cant get my head around gangnam style, plus I work at a school and had it crammed down my throat daily for months.

There are far more IP addresses than that. We've already broken the IPv4 space, but thankfully NAT has allowed us to keep on going.

Also, multiple views from the same person are counted (I think).

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

There are far more IP addresses than that. We've already broken the IPv4 space, but thankfully NAT has allowed us to keep on going.

Also, multiple views from the same person are counted (I think).

Taken from Stack Overvlow - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2437169/what-is-the-total-amount-of-public-ipv4-addresses

Only the ones that can be access through the internet. According to Reserved IP addresses there are 588,514,304 reserved addresses and since there are 4,294,967,296 (2^32) IPv4 addressess in total, there are 3,706,452,992 public addresses.

And no, YouTube does not count the same people multiple times.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Should have clarified -- there are far more devices connected to the internet than IP addresses available. NAT allows us to do that.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Should have clarified -- there are far more devices connected to the internet than IP addresses available. NAT allows us to do that.

True but multiple devices behind a nat router would only count as one hit anyway as they share the same IP address.

True but multiple devices behind a nat router would only count as one hit anyway as they share the same IP address.

Major Nopes on that Master Disaster, you vote with your account not your IP and you or any individual can put it on repeat for multiple view counts, hence why that number is total BS and the thumbs up or thumbs down vote is more representative of the real human vote count, which can also be off because we have trolls who use multiple accounts to alter those votes.

Basically that number is total BS but is high and the video is well liked hence why so many people knows what it is. Its the freaking internet, if you don't know its pitfalls then its time to get out.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

That youtube money daaaaamn.

Right in PiewDiePies face :) can only dream about such viewcount on single video.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Major Nopes on that Master Disaster, you vote with your account not your IP and you or any individual can put it on repeat for multiple view counts, hence why that number is total BS and the thumbs up or thumbs down vote is more representative of the real human vote count, which can also be off because we have trolls who use multiple accounts to alter those votes.

Basically that number is total BS but is high and the video is well liked hence why so many people knows what it is. Its the freaking internet, if you don't know its pitfalls then its time to get out.

That cannot be true, I uploaded a video to YT, listened to it that day. Next day I listened again while hit count was 1, next day the hit count still said 1 and actually remained on one for over 2 weeks despite me listening to the song multiple times (over 10 I'd say).

The next closest thing to hitting that is Justin Beiber's baby.. Oh god whats happened to humanity

Heh. That video had like 700,000,000 views when this first went up. This hit 1.2B views in far less than a year and 1.8 another 8-10 months later.