CVS Stores Reportedly Disabling NFC to Shut Down Apple Pay and Google Wallet

Victorious Secret

cvs_apple_pay_note.jpg

This is sad, but not surprising. 

Apple implemented NFC as per the standards guidelines, hence why Apple Pay works on existing NFC POS terminals out of the gate and why everyone (including the banks who backed Apple) thought it would be an easy and swift rollout. 

But nope, certain retailers aren't having it, and are actually BLOCKING NFC ENTIRELY. Apple Pay AND Google Wallet. Both sides. All users, not just Apple ones. Some major butthurt is going on with those involved with CurrentC (the "competitors" to Apple Pay/Google Wallet). 

I think because Pay and Wallet are so simple and so easy to use, and banks are supportive, and the retailers aren't having it. I should add, CurrentC requires that you add your BANKING ACCOUNT (usually checking) and the app generates QR codes to make a purchase. How on Earth is that smart or secure? 

What this means for normal credit cards issued by banks that have NFC I don't know, cause if you're blocking NFC for Apple Pay and Google Wallet, you're blocking normal cards too; I don't know. This seems like a stupid stance to have. 

Earlier this week, pharmacy chain Rite Aid shut down unofficial support for the Apple Pay and Google Wallet mobile payments systems, resulting in an outcry from users who have been testing out Apple's new system since its launch on Monday. Rite Aid was not an official Apple Pay partner, but the payments system generally works with existing near field communications (NFC) payment terminals anyway, and many users had had success using Apple Pay at Rite Aid stores early in the week. 

The reason behind Rite Aid's and CVS's moves to disable unofficial Apple Pay support in their stores is presumably related to their participation in Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX), a retailer group developing its own mobile payments system known as CurrentC. A claimed internal Rite Aid message shared with SlashGear supports this notion, instructing cashiers to explain to customers that Apple Pay is not supported but that MCX's solution will be available next year.

It now appears that fellow major pharmacy chain CVS is following suit and as of today is shutting down the NFC functionality of its payment terminals entirely, a move presumably intended to thwart Apple Pay. Google Wallet services are obviously also being affected by the move.

Rite Aid's and CVS's moves are also in stark contrast to competitor Walgreens, which has fully embraced Apple Pay and is one of Apple's launch partners for the service. With over 8,000 stores around the United States, Walgreens has been one of the most popular locations for those testing out Apple Pay over the first week of availability.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/25/cvs-disabling-nfc-apple-pay/

It's a good thing I refuse to shop with CVS from the start. Now I have no reason to shop at all.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Good. A store where for once we won't have Apple fanboys going around buying random things with their phones because they feel like they can impress people by paying using NFC.

"Rawr XD"

can we have an  open standard already and stop the dick measuring contest

NFC is an open standard...

Good. A store where for once we won't have Apple fanboys going around buying random things with their phones because they feel like they can impress people by paying using NFC.

Just...wow

This comment is spectacularly bad. This affects Apple, Google and any other NFC based payment system. What the fuck does being a fanboy have to do with anything? How insecure are you that you needed to bring up something so unrelated? 

So....it worked already...but they said "Fuck you, you can't do that until OUR system is ready....next year"

Kay

Would think they would be happy for more ways to take your money...

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So....it worked already...but they said "Fuck you, you can't do that until OUR system is ready....next year"

Kay

Would think they would be happy for more ways to take your money...

Blocking Apple Pay specifically was bad enough (the POS terminals straight up say Apple Pay isn't supported) but they went ahead and nuked Google Wallet at the same time by turning off NFC on their terminals entirely. 

That stinks of someone in management being really, really stubborn and stupid. 

I don't understand. Usually there is a an underlying selfish reason why a company may do something, but this just seems outright silly. What on earth do they have to gain from this?

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I don't understand. Usually there is a an underlying selfish reason why a company may do something, but this just seems outright silly. What on earth do they have to gain from this?

they are working on their own system. And Apple Pay charges a premium price to retail stores for them to support.

Already retailers don't like when you use your credit card, as they pay a fee, and that fee changes depending on your credit card. If you have a basic credit card, they pay little to nothing, but if you have those with point, cash back or anything like that, the store pays a premium. And there is no way of knowing which card you have. So usually, store include that fee (average) in their prices. But Apple Pay is a premium and that would make that their prices won't be competitive with others without Apple Pay. As they don't see that it will attract sales, they block it. Same story with Android wallet thing. I am not sure if the premium price is higher for Apple than Android.

[correction]

Apple charges the banks via an agreement set with them. Apple or the credit card companies don't charged the stores (at least not directly. It might increase the credit card fees, but not directly)

What the hell, I just set up my Nexus 5 so I can pay with NFC, tried it yesterday at my CVS and it was so easy. >.>

Well back in like 2012 some carriers (including Verizon) flat out blocked Google Wallet. For some reason it seems like big companies in the US just hate cooperating.

I guess they think they can make more money if they control the standard everybody else uses. Too fucking bad that the only way we will get a proper NFC payment system is if a non-profit organization, created for the sole purpose of making the standard, releases something that everyone (EVERYONE) uses.

NFC payments just keep getting messier and messier with like 5 competing standards...

The US is it's own worse enemy:

This is what I said here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/236289-the-state-of-apple-pay-google-wallet/page-4

Well, It's no wonder the US is slow slow to adopt consumer financial technology, the Big companies are either blocking it for fear of competitors getting the upper edge or blocking it for fear of terrorism. 

It's no wonder though,  everyone thinks they are entitled to all the profits.  In Australia the woolworths management decided to block debt transactions if they used the visa/MasterCard option (credit-debt),  I simply stopped using them like many others and eventually they realised they were loosing business to the opposition and reinstated the payment option.

Although I could be wrong, it could purely be a symptom of having such a large population that each company can proprietise   their services and still make a buttload.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not only this, but they're going to charge you more for your prescriptions if you get a prescription filled at a pharmacy that sells cigarettes

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

NFC is an open standard...

yeah .....

im talking about a payment system

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

maybe if you spent a little less time sniffing your arm pits you could read, educate yourself and realise that this effects everyone apple google and banks alike......seriously america is so backwards sometimes they just need a good slap

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

they are working on their own system. And Apple Pay charges a premium price to retail stores for them to support.

Already retailers don't like when you use your credit card, as they pay a fee, and that fee changes depending on your credit card. If you have a basic credit card, they pay little to nothing, but if you have those with point, cash back or anything like that, the store pays a premium. And there is no way of knowing which card you have. So usually, store include that fee (average) in their prices. But Apple Pay is a premium and that would make that their prices won't be competitive with others without Apple Pay. As they don't see that it will attract sales, they block it. Same story with Android wallet thing. I am not sure if the premium price is higher for Apple than Android.

Actually Apple Pay charges the bank or credit card company, not the merchant. Apple Pay costs the merchant no more than if you swiped your credit card.

The selfish reason is they want you to use their mobile payment system so that they can have your personal information and can track your purchases. 

That'd be as infuriating as stores that clearly can give you change for a large bill but decide not to because fuck you, that's why.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Im fairly sure I'm going to hell now. I legit laughed.

As did I, I'm on the floor now  :lol:

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

they should add paying with bitcoin. don't think it would hurt sales.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

It's not apple exclusive?

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Mean while in Australia PayPass-Wallet-Services-366x357.png

WE'RE BETTER THAN SOMEONE AT SOMETHING FOR ONCE

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Mean while in Australia PayPass-Wallet-Services-366x357.png

WE'RE BETTER THAN SOMEONE AT SOMETHING FOR ONCE

That's so cool you can more conveniently pay a lot more for things there. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

fuck them, crooks.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)