CVS Stores Reportedly Disabling NFC to Shut Down Apple Pay and Google Wallet

Victorious Secret

That's so cool you can more conveniently pay a lot more for things there. 

The phone app (so Apple Pay and Google Wallet) is still under trial and only some merchants accept it :\ but luckily, pretty much every store has NFC enabled payment (for transactions under $100 IIRC, if it's over you need to enter your PIN) 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

The phone app (so Apple Pay and Google Wallet) is still under trial and only some merchants accept it :\ but luckily, pretty much every store has NFC enabled payment (for transactions under $100 IIRC, if it's over you need to enter your PIN) 

I just slide my debit card, no pin if I run as credit, no sign. 

It's only been stolen once so far.

Yah, Merica. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If they're working on their own charge free system, that they've already had heavy investment in, I can understand why they'd want to do this. Especially if it's true that accepting Apple Pay adds more fees for the retailer, even if indirectly. Brick and mortar stores are already having a hard enough time surviving, added fees aren't going to help matters in any way shape or form.

From what I understand, while the CurrentC is by no means a smooth process, it does eliminate added fees to retailers.

I love what the Walmart CEO said. "I don't know that MCX will succeed, and I don't care. As long as Visa suffers."

they are working on their own system. And Apple Pay charges a premium price to retail stores for them to support.
Already retailers don't like when you use your credit card, as they pay a fee, and that fee changes depending on your credit card. If you have a basic credit card, they pay little to nothing, but if you have those with point, cash back or anything like that, the store pays a premium. And there is no way of knowing which card you have. So usually, store include that fee (average) in their prices. But Apple Pay is a premium and that would make that their prices won't be competitive with others without Apple Pay. As they don't see that it will attract sales, they block it. Same story with Android wallet thing. I am not sure if the premium price is higher for Apple than Android.

[correction]
Apple charges the banks via an agreement set with them. Apple or the credit card companies don't charged the stores (at least not directly. It might increase the credit card fees, but not directly)

Actually Apple Pay charges the bank or credit card company, not the merchant. Apple Pay costs the merchant no more than if you swiped your credit card.

The selfish reason is they want you to use their mobile payment system so that they can have your personal information and can track your purchases. 

If they are actually charging the same amount as say a credit card does, then that's the main issue. Credit card charges cost retail stores huge amounts of money.

That's one of the reasons most stores here refuse to take AMEX; their fees are just too damn high.

It's also one of the reasons why goods cost more, as the cost of the transaction is factored into all goods.
There are some items stores sell, that if purchased with a credit card that gives cash back actually eliminates the profit on the item and sends it into a loss.

That'd be as infuriating as stores that clearly can give you change for a large bill but decide not to because fuck you, that's why.

There's reasons for that. Opening the till poses safety risks, if the cashier can open the till on their own they can steal money with greater ease, having too many large bills makes an unbalanced float that can have ramifications later on in the day...stores are not banks. Don't expect that kind of service from them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If they are actually charging the same amount as say a credit card does, then that's the main issue. Credit card charges cost retail stores huge amounts of money.

That's one of the reasons most stores here refuse to take AMEX; their fees are just too damn high.

It's also one of the reasons why goods cost more, as the cost of the transaction is factored into all goods.

There are some items stores sell, that if purchased with a credit card that gives cash back actually eliminates the profit on the item and sends it into a loss.

Apple Pay adds no additional charge to the retailer. Apple Pay is just another way to pay with a credit or debit card, therefor the usual charges a retailer incurs on credit and debit card purchases still apply.

So... CVS bought a bunch of NFC chips for their cash registers... Then turned them all off just to spite Apple?

There's reasons for that. Opening the till poses safety risks, if the cashier can open the till on their own they can steal money with greater ease, having too many large bills makes an unbalanced float that can have ramifications later on in the day...stores are not banks. Don't expect that kind of service from them.

Oh I know someone will defend the store clerks so that's why I specifically said places that clearly CAN change the bill: Most convenience stores here actually have a safe right beneath the register. As soon as they get a large bill and provide change the machine automatically tells them to just do a register cut right then and there so they just need to write down how much cash they have, put it on a little tube and slide the bills down the safe they don't have access too. Sometimes the little tube even have smaller bills so they dont run out of change through the day.

This system seems to be specifically designed to minimize the risk for store clerks given the fact that large bills are immediately basically put away on a register safe through this small tubes. Now is it my fault that some of them are lazy fucks who just dont want to take a large bill (or electronic payment in some cases) because they just don't feel like doing a register cut and would rather receive a smaller bill (or no sale at all) and go back to ignoring customers while they stuff their fucking faces with nachos and read news papers? No

Edit: Oh I forgot about this little beauty I ran into yesterday.I have a bus card I needed to recharge at a convenience store yesterday and was about to pull money out of the ATM for that purpose and thought "Ok, lets be a nice guy and just pay with the card directly not to leave the guy with large bills" (I know, I was unusually considerate and on a rather good mood yesterday for some strange reason) So I went down to the store, got my other items and told the clerk "Oh I also need a recharge of 400 pesos for my bus card" and then hand over my debit card to which she replies "I'm sorry, we can't accept electronic currency for bus pass rechargesBaffled I clarified "Oh so you don't have the system ready for any electronic payments?" and she clarifies "No we do, I can charge the rest of your purchases on electronic payment, just not the electronic bus pass that has to be paid with cash" Apparently because I live in a city that thinks it's modern enough to establish a city-wide electronic bus card system but not modern enough to accept motherfucking electronic payments....for your electronic payment card.

That just made me want to shoot somebody (Not the clerk though she was just doing what some asshole told her to do)

-------

Current Rig

-------

So... CVS bought a bunch of NFC chips for their cash registers... Then turned them all off just to spite Apple?

It's not just to spite Apple and Google. They are developing their own NFC payment system so they are locking out competitors.

Once their own system is fully developed they will probably turn the NFC back on but only allow their crappy system to work (and not Apple Pay or Google Wallet).

Oh I know someone will defend the store clerks so that's why I specifically said places that clearly CAN change the bill: Most convenience stores here actually have a safe right beneath the register. As soon as they get a large bill and provide change the machine automatically tells them to just do a register cut right then and there so they just need to write down how much cash they have, put it on a little tube and slide the bills down the safe they don't have access too. Sometimes the little tube even have smaller bills so they dont run out of change through the day.

This system seems to be specifically designed to minimize the risk for store clerks given the fact that large bills are immediately basically put away on a register safe through this small tubes. Now is it my fault that some of them are lazy fucks who just dont want to take a large bill (or electronic payment in some cases) because they just don't feel like doing a register cut and would rather receive a smaller bill (or no sale at all) and go back to ignoring customers while they stuff their fucking faces with nachos and read news papers? No

Here in Sweden there is a machine that handles everything (in a lot but not all stores). The cashier just puts money into the machine and it spits out the correct amount to give back. They have no way of taking any money even if they wanted to.

Here is the really cheesy video from the company that developed the system. Although, the machines we have here takes all bills in the same slot (not 1 slot for each type of bill like in the video).

It's not just to spite Apple and Google. They are developing their own NFC payment system so they are locking out competitors.

Once their own system is fully developed they will probably turn the NFC back on but only allow their crappy system to work (and not Apple Pay or Google Wallet).

Here in Sweden there is a machine that handles everything (in a lot but not all stores). The cashier just puts money into the machine and it spits out the correct amount to give back. They have no way of taking any money even if they wanted to.

Here is the really cheesy video from the company that developed the system. Although, the machines we have here takes all bills in the same slot (not 1 slot for each type of bill like in the video).

That would basically remove all excuses yes. Ironically enough it wouldn't be needed if electronic payments were universally accepted but for the time being yes we need some of those.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The NFC Payment standard works with cards with NFC support, Apple Pay and Google Wallet. I don't see the reason why we need to use QR codes.QR codes are just a gimmick and just plain horrible.NFC should be the future of payments.Why do people NOT do any research?If this 'CurrentC' thing uses specific encrypted NFC codes, maybe I'll accept that, but bloody QR codes?I'd rather die of Ebola 

EDIT: Wait, this CurrentC thing need your banking info? If so, wouldn't hackers be targeting CurrentC? As far as I know, if Google or Apple is compromised, all you need to do is cancel your credit card.If CurrentC is compromised, wouldn't you need to cancel your bank account?

Main rig: i5 4670k OC to 4.1GHz,8GB Ram ,GTX 770, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB(enough for me)

Laptop: Acer Aspire E15-571. Exotic stuff: Orange OPC MKIV for recording my guitar skillz, and play guitar in the bar(Miced)

Phone: iPhone 6 (main phone), Samsung Galaxy S4(my sister gave it to me days after I got my iPhone, I now use it as a secondary phone)

The NFC Payment standard works with cards with NFC support, Apple Pay and Google Wallet. I don't see the reason why we need to use QR codes.QR codes are just a gimmick and just plain horrible.NFC should be the future of payments.Why do people NOT do any research?If this 'CurrentC' thing uses specific encrypted NFC codes, maybe I'll accept that, but bloody QR codes?I'd rather die of Ebola

EDIT: Wait, this CurrentC thing need your banking info? If so, wouldn't hackers be targeting CurrentC? As far as I know, if Google or Apple is compromised, all you need to do is cancel your credit card.If CurrentC is compromised, wouldn't you need to cancel your bank account?

Yup, I was going to mentioned that CurrentC is NOT a nfc system, but a QR system.

And yes, it draws from a banking account AND MCX takes no liability for fraud. So if they get exposed, goodbye savings and it's pretty tough to get your money back like that.

You lose a credit card and get fraud charges? That's not you that pays, it's the issuing bank and they sort it out.

You have your banking account hit and fraudulently charged? That's YOUR money. Your honest to god moolah. Not only does that sting harder, it can be quite the process to get the money back and it's just a bullshit hassle for anyone to deal with.

I'm pissed cause I really wanted Canada to get on board with Pay/Wallet and now with this MCX crap who knows what sort of BS we will have to deal with once it comes up here.

Then again our banking system is more regulated and I'd like to think that they'll look at how flawed CurrentC is and say "you want banking account access? How about no?"

Wallet (once it gets tokenized) and Pay are making banks happy cause they are secure. As secure as chip and pin. Hence why they accept the liability. And they're easier to deal with. They encourage splurge shopping, by making payments so easy and almost an afterthought.

Also...QR codes. Jesus. Why don't we just go back to two strings and a can if we're gonna be that backwards about technology.

Is nfc "tap" pay?

Because tap pay is sweet.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Good. A store where for once we won't have Apple fanboys going around buying random things with their phones because they feel like they can impress people by paying using NFC.

The amount of ignorance and butthurt you managed to pack into one sentence is astounding

Yup, I was going to mentioned that CurrentC is NOT a nfc system, but a QR system.

And yes, it draws from a banking account AND MCX takes no liability for fraud. So if they get exposed, goodbye savings and it's pretty tough to get your money back like that.

You lose a credit card and get fraud charges? That's not you that pays, it's the issuing bank and they sort it out.

You have your banking account hit and fraudulently charged? That's YOUR money. Your honest to god moolah. Not only does that sting harder, it can be quite the process to get the money back and it's just a bullshit hassle for anyone to deal with.

I'm pissed cause I really wanted Canada to get on board with Pay/Wallet and now with this MCX crap who knows what sort of BS we will have to deal with once it comes up here.

Then again our banking system is more regulated and I'd like to think that they'll look at how flawed CurrentC is and say "you want banking account access? How about no?"

Wallet (once it gets tokenized) and Pay are making banks happy cause they are secure. As secure as chip and pin. Hence why they accept the liability. And they're easier to deal with. They encourage splurge shopping, by making payments so easy and almost an afterthought.

Also...QR codes. Jesus. Why don't we just go back to two strings and a can if we're gonna be that backwards about technology.

You went more in depth of my explanation there.Thanks for taking your time.But if anyone saw my sig, I recently got BOTH an S4 AND an iPhone 6(I got an Otterbox Defender on both there, no boomerangs xD). I live where we don't have NFC payments, and I don't have a credit card yet(I'm ONLY 15(yes, I shouldn't be getting 2 high end smartphones, but what the hell)) but I have to admit, Apple AND Google were smart enough to use NFC, and I got genuinely exited for the NFC payments. BUT, old farts were getting stupid.Oh and I saw today's NCIX Netlinked Daily, and they were reporting that CurrentC got hacked. WTF? 

Main rig: i5 4670k OC to 4.1GHz,8GB Ram ,GTX 770, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB(enough for me)

Laptop: Acer Aspire E15-571. Exotic stuff: Orange OPC MKIV for recording my guitar skillz, and play guitar in the bar(Miced)

Phone: iPhone 6 (main phone), Samsung Galaxy S4(my sister gave it to me days after I got my iPhone, I now use it as a secondary phone)