Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

To me, it just seems like the iMac is basically just a laptop with a 5k screen. We know that 4k is hard to push on a laptop in general. So, I think it will be usable but when you start doing things on it it will be kinda shitty to use and the GPU will be running pretty damn hot. Also, don't care about the tablet market at all because its just a large screen and does the same thing as a phone so I see no point in it besides a Nvidia shield to where you can have game stream on it.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

aesthetics and os are subjectives, im not saying there products are bad, they are good products. but specs is something that i always find gimped for the price that your paying. theres just alot of comparable products out there in alot of sectors that perform the same or better for cheaper.

also i would argue the surface pro 3 is a better all in one then the imac

LOL can't what for your Surface Pro 3 vs iMac wisdom

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I disagree for example, find a 27" imac with a 1440p display, dedicated GPU i7s and thunderbolt

Mac mini - find another desktop that small with that performance for £400

retina 15" macbook find another full metal 2880 x 1800 (or close) display, with pci-e based storage, dedicated GPU as well as intel iris, with 9 hours battery life for less money

comparing CPU and GPU specs are not the whole picture, and generally OSX and iOS run VERY VERY smooth and fast

I love you. You're basically me xD

The new Mac Mini though! PCIe flash! Iris! everything we wanted in that thread twenty minutes ago :P

UWOTM8

This is basically Pro-Apple vs Anti-Apple.

Taking in bets!

every discussion about apple is pro vs anti

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

You really like iris don't you.

Iris is a great idea, though Iris pro is better ( its like a 750m!)

I would prefer dedicated GPUs but its a toss up between 6-12 hours battery life and GPU performance, generally for photo and video editing on a laptop / small desktop iris is very powerful 

To me, it just seems like the iMac is basically just a laptop with a 5k screen. We know that 4k is hard to push on a laptop in general. So, I think it will be usable but when you start doing things on it it will be kinda shitty to use and the GPU will be running pretty damn hot. Also, don't care about the tablet market at all because its just a large screen and does the same thing as a phone so I see no point in it besides a Nvidia shield to where you can have game stream on it.

Yeah not at all, laptop GPUs are extremely capable, I edit all my DSLR footage on my gaming laptops, and they do fantastic!! dont forget the pci-e based SSDS are lightning fast with like 1gbps read and writes!!!!!!! also OSX is nowhere near as heavy as windows, it runs very smooth and fast, i have seen my friend edit photos and 1080p footage in adobe photoshop and premier on his macbook air.. it runs very well!!!!

Tablets are great, they are superflous devices, and a total luxury but for walking around my house, its great to have my iPad

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah, I work next to a window and I can't stand glossy monitors :P

Apple iMacs have a anti-reflective coating ;)

They arent glossy

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

To me, it just seems like the iMac is basically just a laptop with a 5k screen.

It uses a desktop CPU. Only the GPU is of the mobile kind ?!

Dell 5K Monitor = $2500

iMac with 5K display and AMD m290X  = $2500.

Not a bad price.

*Most people on the forum right now.*

BUT.... IT'S APPLE!/__/_/Does_Not_Compute_/

The new Mac Mini though! PCIe flash! Iris! everything we wanted in that thread twenty minutes ago :P

not impressed by the mac mini, i wanted thinner/smaller with intel Core M

not going to take sides on this thread but you are comparing an AIO desktop pc to a portable tablet...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

not impressed by the mac mini, i wanted thinner/smaller with intel Core M

I would be so happy if they added in a dedicated mobile GPU. :(

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I know even and £399 for the base one .. WTFFFFFF

so... I want either the 5k iMac or a Mac Pro, a 13/15" retina pro.. and the new iPad mini......might make my dad get the new air too, also want the cheap iMac for the kitchen in our new house when we move :) (making a semi smart house)

Also might get a mac mini for the sake of it... mac mini steam box? bring it motherfuckers

I would be so happy if they added in a dedicated mobile GPU.  :(

Dont underestimate iris, good for steam in home streaming too!!! will handle a bit of gaming and video editing a treat

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Apple iMacs have a anti-reflective coating ;)

They arent glossy

Uuuh, the one I used 3 days ago was glossy as hell!

They certainly don't have a coating remotely as good as the LG 34UM95, which I find to be the best I've ever used.

Walking into the Apple Reseller in my town and the iMacs are like mirrors under light.

I would be so happy if they added in a dedicated mobile GPU. :(

I wouldn't, mine gets hot during load as it is, especially if they added an amd one...

no desire to add custome loop to my mac mini.

Uuuh, the one I used 3 days ago was glossy as hell!

They certainly don't have a coating remotely as good as the LG 34UM95, which I find to be the best I've ever used.

Walking into the Apple Reseller in my town and the iMacs are like mirrors under light.

the LG is a very matte display the mac displays are glossy but they are not that bad for glare and are getting better, this new one looks even better still

glossy displays have way better colour and clarity and less noticeable pixels

some AG coatings are too agressive and look grainy (look at you dell)

The LG 34UM95 uses a matte light scattering anti-glare layer.

The iMacs actually really have a AR coating.

I know even and £399 for the base one .. WTFFFFFF

so... I want either the 5k iMac or a Mac Pro, a 13/15" retina pro.. and the new iPad mini......might make my dad get the new air too, also want the cheap iMac for the kitchen in our new house when we move :) (making a semi smart house)

Also might get a mac mini for the sake of it... mac mini steam box? bring it motherfuckers

Dont underestimate iris, good for steam in home streaming too!!! will handle a bit of gaming and video editing a treat

dude are you roiling in cash or what?

pZd5T6v.gif

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I wouldn't, mine gets hot during load as it is, especially if they added an amd one...

no desire to add custome loop to my mac mini.

That's where CoreM with a Maxwell NVIDIA gpu would be awesome. Performance, while staying cool and using little power.

That's where CoreM with a Maxwell NVIDIA gpu would be awesome. Performance, while staying cool and using little power.

yea that would work, like a 960m.

but it would cost a lot more.

the LG is a very matte display the mac displays are glossy but they are not that bad for glare and are getting better, this new one looks even better still

glossy displays have way better colour and clarity and less noticeable pixels

some AG coatings are too agressive and look grainy (look at you dell)

Dell's was horrific. 

I wish Apple would at least give the option of Matte anti-glare displays again. I really enjoyed using the old Cinema Displays, and the current iMac is horrible in my current location. My Retina MBP was hard to use as well.

I think the people who think the Imac is intended for 5k gaming are going to be disappointed. I see this more for art work instead of pure power for gaming. 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

yea that would work, like a 960m.

but it would cost a lot more.

True, but adding the option would make many happy. Especially those that want an Apple desktop, but don't want the iMac's display as well.

Although hopefully even Intel step up their IGP game even more with future architectures. Irish Pro is rather impressive for what it is.

itt, people blindly hating on apple, while they have been continously bringing competitive products out, and lowering their prices gradually SMH LTT, SMH...

Irish Pro is rather impressive for what it is.

http://food-fun.wisconsinfood.com/edible_antics/images/2008/03/07/hat_n_potatoes.jpg

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

but the dell 5k display at the same price doesn't include a 3.5Ghz Quad Core i5, R9 m290x, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hybrid drive.

also the dell is using a crappy controller that utilize mst while apple claims to have its own custom made timing controller.

Apple's 5k display is also using an IGZO panel (oxide tf) while there is no confirmation yet as to what panel dell is using.

How do you know that Dell is using a crappy controller? How do you know Apple own solution is any better.

Doesn't mean that some monitor manufacture uses the crappy slow controller chip and hacked MST in, that they are all like that.