Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

I'm on the same page I also have an iMac and I'm building a beast PC soon, I just know a lot of newbs who buy macs for minecraft.... Sigh

Sorry man, I was miss read your post. My bad

If that's the case:

"4)The ones you mentioned, and the ones used for the past few generations."

But coming straight from their website:

2j4zhq1.png

Looks like mobile GPU to me (can't customize it yet).

That GPU is more then enough for its purpose, if you keep thinking that this is a 5k gaming computer with a budget of $2500, good luck with that.

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Sorry man, I was miss read your post. My bad

That GPU is more then enough for its purpose, if you keep thinking that this is a 5k gaming computer with a budget of $2500, good luck with that.

Don't put words in my... keyboard? I haven't mentioned gaming once, I compared the resolution to the problem current consoles face.

Personally, I think the GPU will barely handle anything above heavy web browsing, and sit at relatively extreme temperatures during the same time.

Again, it's almost 15MP screen, 4K is about 8.3. Good luck with that.

the only mobile part is the option of low-grade graphics M295x. You can have the R9 290x (non mobile).

CPU and RAM are both desktop. (4790k)

Ram is SO-DIMM(mobile)

Don't put words in my... keyboard? I haven't mentioned gaming once, I compared the resolution to the problem current consoles face.

Personally, I think the GPU will barely handle anything above heavy web browsing, and sit at relatively extreme temperatures during the same time.

you are exaggerating the performance needed to do non video editing or gaming workloads. Kaveri APUs can decode 4k video for example, a M290X is a big jump from that. The M290X could be related in performance to around a desktop 280 card at least. A 280 non X would be more than enough for a PC to do color work in photo editing software at 5120x2880 without having to work too hard.

You have ZERO knowledge about anything you just said, about the temps and the performance and for that I will stop feeding you troll. Bye.

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

I was hoping they were going to release a new updated ipod touch....

I thought they would as it has been 2 years since a real update for it. It still has the A5 chip from a 4S and the screen from a 5

Of all the things they announced, nothing really special other than the 5k display.  Lack of SSD is really disappointing as well.

Of all the things they announced, nothing really special other than the 5k display.  Lack of SSD is really disappointing as well.

1TB SSHD is default and 256GB  SSD is optional for no added cost

that 5K apple buy, win over  :rolleyes:

any 4K display  :ph34r:

any Titan Z  <_<

and any expensive watch, cell phone, or pad that you can buy  :lol:

This isn't really made for video editors doing 4K material, they will unveil the Thunderbolt display with 5K soonish hopefully. This is more for graphics designers who want the extra pixels. Any serious video editor using a Mac will buy a MacPro desktop and then a Thunderbolt screen or another great quality screen. 

This is a fantastic step forward for Apple and the Industry, it gets the conversation of higher resolution screens moving at an even faster pace and will result it better prices and more competition. Even if you don't particularly like Apple, the parts inside the machine or whatever, this is a good step forward. 

GG Apple. 

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

you are exaggerating the performance needed to do non video editing or gaming workloads. Kaveri APUs can decode 4k video for example, a M290X is a big jump from that. The M290X could be related in performance to around a desktop 280 card at least. A 280 non X would be more than enough for a PC to do color work in photo editing software at 5120x2880 without having to work too hard.

"5k" has almost double pixel count of 4K. It's not as colourful.

From what I am aware of, m290x is around the 7870 level of performance except it has buttload of VRAM, while 280 sits around 7950.

There's a difference between editing a 15MP image, and displaying it do the screen dynamically as a whole, but I do agree "normal computer work" is not demanding graphically from what we know. I don't believe any (or many) of us has actually seen the product in action, and if memory serves me right, OSX tends to be "Action packed" graphically.

@berna

Please enlighten me how a product you had no contact with will work with your infinite knowledge about it. I'm making a prediction, I don't know if it's right, but you seem to hold the answer between your buttcheeks.

"5k" has almost double pixel count of 4K. It's not as colourful.

From what I am aware of, m290x is around the 7870 level of performance except it has buttload of VRAM, while 280 sits around 7950.

There's a difference between editing a 15MP image, and displaying it do the screen dynamically as a whole, but I do agree "normal computer work" is not demanding graphically from what we know. I don't believe any (or many) of us has actually seen the product in action, and if memory serves me right, OSX tends to be "Action packed" graphically.

@berna

Please enlighten me how a product you had no contact with will work with your infinite knowledge about it. I'm making a prediction, I don't know if it's right, but you seem to hold the answer between your buttcheeks.

Or its around Gtx 760 or 870m

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

The thing to remember about the "Fusion" drive is that it's a 1TB HDD & a 128GB SSD so it's far speedier than a SSHD up to 128GB of data transfer. But the real intent of fusion is fast disk performance for the most commonly used apps & slower spinning disk storage for docs, pics, vids, & seldom used apps.

this came to mind...

what is the max input resolution for Target Display Mode?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Iris is a great idea, though Iris pro is better ( its like a 750m!)

I would prefer dedicated GPUs but its a toss up between 6-12 hours battery life and GPU performance, generally for photo and video editing on a laptop / small desktop iris is very powerful 

Yeah not at all, laptop GPUs are extremely capable, I edit all my DSLR footage on my gaming laptops, and they do fantastic!! dont forget the pci-e based SSDS are lightning fast with like 1gbps read and writes!!!!!!! also OSX is nowhere near as heavy as windows, it runs very smooth and fast, i have seen my friend edit photos and 1080p footage in adobe photoshop and premier on his macbook air.. it runs very well!!!!

Tablets are great, they are superflous devices, and a total luxury but for walking around my house, its great to have my iPad

What about their drivers are they shitty ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

dude are you roiling in cash or what?

haha, no but I do swim in it

No my salary is like £17k a year and I currently live at home.. so ...

What about their drivers are they shitty ?

No why would they be shitty :) its just part of the intel chipset

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

this came to mind...

what is the max input resolution for Target Display Mode?

Not sure, I assume you mean connect a macbook, or mac pro to this to use just as a display

Would be awesome if its fully supported

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This isn't really made for video editors doing 4K material, they will unveil the Thunderbolt display with 5K soonish hopefully. This is more for graphics designers who want the extra pixels. Any serious video editor using a Mac will buy a MacPro desktop and then a Thunderbolt screen or another great quality screen. 

This is a fantastic step forward for Apple and the Industry, it gets the conversation of higher resolution screens moving at an even faster pace and will result it better prices and more competition. Even if you don't particularly like Apple, the parts inside the machine or whatever, this is a good step forward. 

GG Apple. 

That is a pretty good point. They haven't refreshed their monitors in a while have they? I remember they were always like 1k and up right? Not the cheapest by any means. 

GG Apple. 

Absolutely agree, its not really for heavy film makers and editors, but more for the enthusiast and photographer/graphics designer, the people who want to do heavy lifting will no doubt be using a mac pro

I imagine a thunderbolt 5k display is around the corner, and would be amazing to connect a couple to a mac pro for the ultimate editing suite

yeah GG indeed, their line up is extremely strong right now, the cheapest ever point for the iPad and Mac Mini for the consumer, the budget iMac for the family, the 5k imac for the enthusiast and the Mac Pro for the professional, they have everything covered, as well as the excellent iPhone 6 and (hopefully) great watch when launched

That is a pretty good point. They haven't refreshed their monitors in a while have they? I remember they were always like 1k and up right? Not the cheapest by any means. 

Thats true but when the cinema display came out it was good value for money, the problem was it never dropped

the thunderbolt display has some great features like being able to charge your macbook, act as ethernet and a usb hub etc... but its price is too high for an LG 1440p panel

does that work for macs???

Yes it does, and its a better option than running vmware or parallels with  a limit of 1GB vRAM and DX10. Plus the Mac Mini should be fine for Netflix, Plex, browsing the web, etc. Any light-weight indie games should also run fine on it, and I suppose LoL and WoW.

Absolutely agree, its not really for heavy film makers and editors, but more for the enthusiast and photographer/graphics designer, the people who want to do heavy lifting will no doubt be using a mac pro

I imagine a thunderbolt 5k display is around the corner, and would be amazing to connect a couple to a mac pro for the ultimate editing suite

yeah GG indeed, their line up is extremely strong right now, the cheapest ever point for the iPad and Mac Mini for the consumer, the budget iMac for the family, the 5k imac for the enthusiast and the Mac Pro for the professional, they have everything covered, as well as the excellent iPhone 6 and (hopefully) great watch when launched

Thats true but when the cinema display came out it was good value for money, the problem was it never dropped

the thunderbolt display has some great features like being able to charge your macbook, act as ethernet and a usb hub etc... but its price is too high for an LG 1440p panel

Since Apple switched over to AMD cards didn't that screw over all the CUDA based applications on Mac with the new Mac Pro? (ei. Adobe, Autodesk).

Since Apple switched over to AMD cards didn't that screw over all the CUDA based applications on Mac with the new Mac Pro? (ei. Adobe, Autodesk).

The Mac Pro uses AMD Fire Pro gpus....

Adobe supports OpenCL, and Autodesk is doing it as well.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q