Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

5mm my ass...

20121023handsonimacside.jpg

With The RAM, AN i7 CPU and a last-generation GPU!

But it has the revolutionary incredible PCIE SSD that will surely help drive those 15 million pixels smoothly.

Not to mention mobile parts.

Please someone kill their marketing team.

5mm my ass...

But it has the revolutionary incredible PCIE SSD that will surely help drive those 15 million pixels smoothly.

Lol

5mm my ass...

1) the edge is 5mm. That's all they claimed.

2) R9 290x is still the leading edge of the previous generation, and all development and production was done before the launch of Maxwell.

3) Still great for boot and load times.

4) What mobile parts (other than the m295x option)? 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2) R9 290x is still the leading edge of the previous generation, and all development and production was done before the launch of Maxwell.

The GPU is mobile CPU is desktop

I find it hard to believe that Asus, MSI and other PC manufacturers got access to Maxwell before Apple did. If they could release products with Maxwell why couldn't Apple?

I find it hard to believe that Asus, MSI and other PC manufacturers got access to Maxwell before Apple did. If they could release products with Maxwell why couldn't Apple?

Apple could have contracted with AMD for this back when they were working on the Mac Pro. For $2500 selling price Apple got some good deals on that hardware in order to have the profit margin that Apple requires.

1)Well I'd happily watch them announce the 5mm edge if they only allowed watching it through a non-apple platform.

2)I really don't want to, but didn't consoles do the same thing? Except they are barely hit sub-2 million pixels, and with the fancy effects iOS always had, I'd love to see web-browsing temps in that small box.

3)Sure, so does my Win 8.1

4)The ones you mentioned, and the ones used for the past few generations.

I'm simply sick turning a this could-be-great productivity machine into a fashion statement.

Apple could have contracted with AMD for this back when they were working on the Mac Pro. For $2500 selling price Apple got some good deals on that hardware in order to have the profit margin that Apple requires.

Good one. I require one hundred billion dollars!

That and I think a little bit more engineering and A LOT more time goes into creating these thin iMacs than slapping a laptop together.

The same deal that got Apple dirt cheap firepros might also have extended to these?

I mean, the Mac Pro can be had as an entire computer with 2 firepros for less than the price of 2 firepros separately. That's some damned good discounting.

I feel sorry for people who will buy this to play Minecraft...

If you buy this for gaming, or compare it to a gaming pc you are doing it wrong (in fact try to make a 5k display gaming pc with $2500)

I work with an iMac on the office everyday (graphic and motion design) and I wouldn't change it for any PC.

I game with my PC at my home everyday and I wouldn't change it for any Mac.

Next time try not to put a Formula 1 on a rally track.

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

All this proves that Steve Jobs is infact not alive, nor is he the messiah his cult was hoping he was. He clearly hasn't spoken to anyone since he died.

But honestly, considering the display and GPU, that's probably the best all in one you can get in the market. May be even the best PC with a monitor of that quality.

Another thing is that with Apple now in the market of NFC and 5k, the entire market will beginning adopting these standards more quickly. Awesome :D

That and I think a little bit more engineering and A LOT more time goes into creating these thin iMacs than slapping a laptop together.

Wow, just typical apple thinking. But I'm sure it also takes A LOT more time to "slap" a macbook together than some other high range laptop hmm?

These thin iMacs are thin where the screen is (and surprisingly, phone screens are even thinner), and normal if not thicker where the chips are.

If there's any extensive engineering going into these products it's social and marketing engineering.

The people worse than Apple fanboys are the anti-Apple fanboys who need to insert themselves into any thread just to crap on the proceedings. For people who dislike Apple so much, you guys sure do spend a lot of time and energy posting about them. 

The sad part is apart from such people, everyone else is having reasonably level headed discourse. 

All this proves that Steve Jobs is infact not alive, nor is he the messiah his cult was hoping he was. He clearly hasn't spoken to anyone since he died.

What the everlasting hell does that have to do with the OP?? 

Wow, just typical apple thinking. But I'm sure it also takes A LOT more time to "slap" a macbook together than some other high range laptop hmm?

These thin iMacs are thin where the screen is (and surprisingly, phone screens are even thinner), and normal if not thicker where the chips are.

If there's any extensive engineering going into these products it's social and marketing engineering.

Wow.

Just wow.

I'm all for critically analyzing products on their merits, but if your Apple hate is so strong why the hell do you bother replying to these articles? 

Need attention, eh? 

Apple as it again, and shows it's new display for the iMac, which the company claims it is the world's highest resolution display.

DSC_0636_verge_super_wide.jpg

A 27inch 5K display.

While impressive, it is however, not true at all. Dell has theirs already.

MaxPNG%20%284%29_678x452.png

And, Dell features a reflection reducing glossy coating, and is fully adjustable.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6984755/apple-imac-with-retina-display-announced

Source 2: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/dell-previews-27inch-5k-ultrasharp-monitor-5120x2880

LTT's M$ shill is at it again. They're the same, it's still the highest, technically. If two cars both have the same, most powerful engine in the world, they both use the most powerful engine in the world. The Dell might be adjustable, but does it have an entire computer in it? It is purported to cost $2500, and you can't even buy it yet.

Try not to bring out the negative in a very blatant positive. The new iMac is awesome value.

The GPU is mobile CPU is desktop

R9 290x...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You have to remember those other companies use an Intel reference motherboard or make only minor revisions. Apple wholely designs and optimizes theirs, and that process takes months.

1)Well I'd happily watch them announce the 5mm edge if they only allowed watching it through a non-apple platform.

2)I really don't want to, but didn't consoles do the same thing? Except they are barely hit sub-2 million pixels, and with the fancy effects iOS always had, I'd love to see web-browsing temps in that small box.

3)Sure, so does my Win 8.1

4)The ones you mentioned, and the ones used for the past few generations.

I'm simply sick turning a this could-be-great productivity machine into a fashion statement.

Good one. I require one hundred billion dollars!

the only mobile part is the option of low-grade graphics M295x. You can have the R9 290x (non mobile).

CPU and RAM are both desktop. (4790k)

If you buy this for gaming, or compare it to a gaming pc you are doing it wrong (in fact try to make a 5k display gaming pc with $2500)

I work with an iMac on the office everyday (graphic and motion design) and I wouldn't change it for any PC.

I game with my PC at my home everyday and I wouldn't change it for any Mac.

Next time try not to put a Formula 1 on a rally track.

I'm on the same page I also have an iMac and I'm building a beast PC soon, I just know a lot of newbs who buy macs for minecraft.... Sigh

Wow.

Just wow.

I'm all for critically analyzing products on their merits, but if your Apple hate is so strong why the hell do you bother replying to these articles? 

Need attention, eh? 

Well you don't sound like it? You seem to consume all of the information from a presentation from apple about apple products about how they are better than competition without researching the market.

iPhones are carefully carved from aluminium with ultimate precision and are incredible? so are HTC Ones.

iMacs have their mobile processors placed behind a 2x larger screen than any laptop with potential to run silently? They decide to go for the thinness marketing card because it's the bragging rights feature that sells the product instead.

There are horse-power banks like Aorus x7, GS60 that are packed with engineering, ultrabooks like Aspire s7 or XPS15 for portability and battery life that also have had some R&D time spent on them.

At least the new trash can is a good product, until you need functionality that is.

Mac-Pro-v-Old-Mac-Pro.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

I'm not hating on Apple, I've had a chance to use iMacs for 24 months 4 years ago. Still not a fan. I simply cannot understand how that much of a product can be sacrificed in favor of design.

And for that I will keep criticizing apple's decision. How on earth can a 6mm tablet be comfortable to use? My phone is 150% of that and I have a case on it to make it comfortable in my hand, and no I'm no giant... in hand area.

the only mobile part is the option of low-grade graphics M295x. You can have the R9 290x (non mobile).

CPU and RAM are both desktop. (4790k)

If that's the case:

"4)The ones you mentioned, and the ones used for the past few generations."

But coming straight from their website:

2j4zhq1.png

Looks like mobile GPU to me (can't customize it yet).