Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

Wow I am really impressed with Apple these last few weeks

I am 100% buying an iPad mini retina 128gb.. and maybe that iMac 5k.. or perhaps just a mac mini with iris

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Don't care about who's first or who's got the highest resolution, I care that with the iMac you get a computer and a 5K IPS for the same price as the Dell 5K display, now thats impressive!

Still no retina airs.....*sigh*

I'm looking forward for next year's events. With the new Intel CPUs, nvidia gpus, new usb standard and wireless charging technologies developed for the apple watch, the new macbooks have all kinds of crazy technologies they could throw in there :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Yes, but this is not an IMAX. And 8K EXISTS, but you can't go to a store an buy one.

You can buy anything if you have the money ;)

And the statement that it is the highest resolution display in the world is still false because higher res displays DO exist. Even if they arent in stores.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i like Apple and the products they make.  Pushing the consumer computing level upwards.  Apple and non-Apple are creating better products for us, the end consumer.  That is why I love free markets and competitive markets because the consumer gets to participate and 'usually' gets better products out of it.

but apple products are not better then alternatives there just marketed at the uneducated masses

but apple products are not better then alternatives there just marketed at the uneducated masses

Their products are fantastic, and in some regards are better than alternatives depending at what you are looking for

If you compare them to a self built gaming rig, no, but that is not the market.. comare an imac to any all in one, the mac mini to any tiny desktop, the iPad to any tablet, etc etc, in their respective areas their products are some of  if the not the best when it comes to design, build, aesthetics and specs (include display specs etc) not forgetting fantastic OS

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

While impressive, it is however, not true at all. Dell has theirs already.

MaxPNG%20%284%29_678x452.png

And, Dell features a reflection reducing glossy coating, and is fully adjustable.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6984755/apple-imac-with-retina-display-announced

Source 2: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/dell-previews-27inch-5k-ultrasharp-monitor-5120x2880

but the dell 5k display at the same price doesn't include a 3.5Ghz Quad Core i5, R9 m290x, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hybrid drive.

also the dell is using a crappy controller that utilize mst while apple claims to have its own custom made timing controller.

Apple's 5k display is also using an IGZO panel (oxide tf) while there is no confirmation yet as to what panel dell is using.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

I hate apple as much as the next person on this forum but they are technically first to market with the 5K display as dell's isn't fully available yet and i don't think 8K tvs count yet because they are aren't something that you can really go out and buy at a big box store

Their products are fantastic, and in some regards are better than alternatives depending at what you are looking for

If you compare them to a self built gaming rig, no, but that is not the market.. comare an imac to any all in one, the mac mini to any tiny desktop, the iPad to any tablet, etc etc, in their respective areas their products are some of  if the not the best when it comes to design, build, aesthetics and specs (include display specs etc) not forgetting fantastic OS

aesthetics and os are subjectives, im not saying there products are bad, they are good products. but specs is something that i always find gimped for the price that your paying. theres just alot of comparable products out there in alot of sectors that perform the same or better for cheaper.

also i would argue the surface pro 3 is a better all in one then the imac

I hate apple as much as the next person on this forum but they are technically first to market with the 5K display as dell's isn't fully available yet and i don't think 8K tvs count yet because they are aren't something that you can really go out and buy at a big box store

They're also not IPS colour calibrated that's needed for professional work

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

is it just me or does the china flag thing look like a dragonball?

it's not you, how many stars dose it have?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

aesthetics and os are subjectives, im not saying there products are bad, they are good products. but specs is something that i always find gimped for the price that your paying. theres just alot of comparable products out there in alot of sectors that perform the same or better for cheaper

Dell 5K Monitor = $2500

iMac with 5K display and AMD m290X  = $2500.

Not a bad price.

I'll just quote myself in response to that.

They're also not IPS colour calibrated that's needed for professional work

that's funny, because according to Anand iMacs have some of the most accurate displays around.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Wow I am really impressed with Apple these last few weeks

I am 100% buying an iPad mini retina 128gb.. and maybe that iMac 5k.. or perhaps just a mac mini with iris

You really like iris don't you.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I'll just quote myself in response to that.

1 product being compared to one other product does not win you the price argument. it wins you a data point on the overall picture

that's funny, because according to Anand iMacs have some of the most accurate displays around.

Sorry, I was referring to the 8K TV's mentioned in his quote that people can apparently buy now.

aesthetics and os are subjectives, im not saying there products are bad, they are good products. but specs is something that i always find gimped for the price that your paying. theres just alot of comparable products out there in alot of sectors that perform the same or better for cheaper.

also i would argue the surface pro 3 is a better all in one then the imac

I disagree for example, find a 27" imac with a 1440p display, dedicated GPU i7s and thunderbolt

Mac mini - find another desktop that small with that performance for £400

retina 15" macbook find another full metal 2880 x 1800 (or close) display, with pci-e based storage, dedicated GPU as well as intel iris, with 9 hours battery life for less money

comparing CPU and GPU specs are not the whole picture, and generally OSX and iOS run VERY VERY smooth and fast

hmm so there are tones of 5K all-in-one windows machines out there that are cheaper or better or both?

show me!

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Sorry, I was referring to the 8K TV's mentioned in his quote that people can apparently buy now.

oh i c

you can get TVs professionally calibrated for a fraction of the tax you'd pay on an 8K tv.

You can buy anything if you have the money ;)

And the statement that it is the highest resolution display in the world is still false because higher res displays DO exist. Even if they arent in stores.

I think they meant feasible displays; yes, Sharp may have an 8K prototype that they bring to trade shows, but it's far from production.

No MacBook updates :(

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

1 product being compared to one other product does not win you the price argument. it wins you a data point on the overall picture

Even the Mac Pro compares extremely well spec for spec compared to it's competition and even custom builds.

Making a blanket statement that Apple products are gimped doesn't do anyone any favours and is false.

There are pros and cons to all products but saying they're gimped is saying their competition is also gimped since not all of them are 100% better in all areas than the other.