Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

Well good for you apple. Good for you. Hope you don't disappoint when the full specs are released and IMacs tested.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

itt, people blindly hating on apple, while they have been continously bringing competitive products out, and lowering their prices gradually SMH LTT, SMH...

http://food-fun.wisconsinfood.com/edible_antics/images/2008/03/07/hat_n_potatoes.jpg

Oh snap I didn't even notice that! Guess my true colours are showing. ;)

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

This is actually a great price, a seperate 5K display costs the same.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Oh snap I didn't even notice that! Guess my true colours are showing. ;)

oh ive only now noticed you are irish hahahahha :D

cheers mate

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

How do you know that Dell is using a crappy controller? How do you know Apple own solution is any better.

Doesn't mean that some monitor manufacture uses the crappy slow controller chip and hacked MST in, that they are all like that.

If that's your only complaint about his post, and ignore the entire computer in it then Apple is still doing better than Dell's display.

I'll wait until the full reviews and tear downs are out before commenting on the controller, but at the moment for the price Apple's option is fantastic.

they make for great HTPCs as well

That's true, I'm considering one over a Nexus Player so that I can also use Steam In-Home-Streaming to play games on it.

If that's your only complaint about his post, and ignore the entire computer in it then Apple is still doing better than Dell's display.

I'll wait until the full reviews and tear downs are out before commenting on the controller, but at the moment for the price Apple's option is fantastic.

yeah, even if apples screen was worse than the dell (unlikely, considering apples stance on visual quality) this would still be a better priced product, and if you were a photo editor (or even light 3d/video) this would be a much better choice if you dont have a computer already

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

That's true, I'm considering one over a Nexus Player so that I can also use Steam In-Home-Streaming to play games on it.

does that work for macs???

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

yeah, even if apples screen was worse than the dell (unlikely, considering apples stance on visual quality) this would still be a better priced product, and if you were a photo editor (or even light 3d/video) this would be a much better choice if you dont have a computer already

Oh certainly. Being able to have a full 4K video open in FCPX or Premiere Pro is fantastic! My only concern is the m290X's performance, and we don't know much about the unreleased m295x yet.

I still can't help but think NVIDIA Maxwell would have been a better option since they use less power, produce less heat, match OpenCL performance, and beat AMD at OpenGL.

Although Apple are probably in a massive bulk order contract for all Macs now since the Mac Pro.

I know when working at 3440x1440 or 4K video my Mac Pro can hit 100% usage and work hard.

The iMac with 4K video as the advantage of Intel's QuickSync for H.264, but how well will the GPU cope.

Oh certainly. Being able to have a full 4K video open in FCPX or Premiere Pro is fantastic! My only concern is the m290X's performance, and we don't know much about the unrelated m295x yet.

I still can't help but think NVIDIA Maxwell would have been a better option since they use less power, produce less heat, match OpenCL performance, and beat AMD at OpenGL.

Although Apple are probably in a massive bulk order contract for all mac now since the Mac Pro.

I know when working at 3440x1440 or 4K video my Mac Pro can hit 100% usage and work hard.

The iMac with 4K video as the advantage of Intel's QuickSync, but how well will the GPU cope.

its probably a behind the scenes contract yeah. but on a stationary PC that is in the wall socket, i really dont care for power consumtion. and im pretty sure appe figured thermals out

its probably a behind the scenes contract yeah. but on a stationary PC that is in the wall socket, i really dont care for power consumtion. and im pretty sure appe figured thermals out

Oh I'm sure they have. I'm looking forward to the reviews.

I noticed they say the m290X has 3.5 TFLOPs, that's the same as a single D700 in the Mac Pro. If that's true and overall performance is the same I'll be very impressed. The D700 is around ~10% slower than R9 280X in games so far.

not impressed by the mac mini, i wanted thinner/smaller with intel Core M

Yeah but for $499, it's not too shabby. 

Oh I'm sure they have. I'm looking forward to the reviews.

I noticed they say the m290X has 3.5 TFLOPs, that's the same as a single D700 in the Mac Pro. If that's true and overall performance is the same I'll be very impressed. The D700 is around ~10% slower than R9 280X in games so far.

interesting. as well as that being a radeon part, so game optimised drivers. while you wont be able to play at 5k, a 1440p will be acceptable

does that work for macs???

Yup!

I fooled around with it, I was streaming CS:GO no issues to my rMBP from my tower that was two floors up. 

interesting. as well as that being a radeon part, so game optimised drivers. while you wont be able to play at 5k, a 1440p will be acceptable

Which corresponds with OS X 10.10. Which has much improved AMD Drivers, and OpenGL performance.

I saw more than a double in minimum FPS in games that use OpenGL 4.0 like Hitman Absolution on a D700.

Which corresponds with OS X 10.10. Which has much improved AMD Drivers, and OpenGL performance.

I saw more than a double in minimum FPS in games that use OpenGL 4.0 like Hitman Absolution on a D700.

mac gaming, becoming a reality :P

How do you know that Dell is using a crappy controller? How do you know Apple own solution is any better.

Doesn't mean that some monitor manufacture uses the crappy slow controller chip and hacked MST in, that they are all like that.

the monitor will require two DisplayPort 1.2 connections from one's laptop or desktop PC.

This hints at what Dell's likely done here, namely, seamlessly stitched two 2560-by-2880 panels together to form one 5128-by-2880-pixel display. MST, or multi-stream transport, handles the load of porting the stream to the resulting "5K" ultra-ultra HD panel. http://techreport.com/news/26391/28-asus-4k-monitor-has-single-tile-649-price-tag

keep in mind that 5k is almost double the pixel count of 4k (14.7mp vs 8.3)

there is no controller in existence that is able to handle 5k over sst hence the custom chip made by apple.

to get 5k over sst(SINGLE-STREAM TRANSPORT), you would need either a thunderbolt or displayport 1.3 to handle the bandwidth which the dell doesn't have(it uses 2x displayport 1.2a through mst).

all previous dell 4k monitor and majority of all other brand 4k monitor uses mst.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Dell monitor is coming in December. And 8K TVs were showed at IFA

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/forget-4k-lgs-98-inch-8k-tv-window-future-weve-waiting/

8K screens were first showed of in japan like 2 years ago LOL :) 4K in japan is getting old they have 4K streaming like almost 16 months there. even the 8K screens are going for sale begin 2015 :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

mac gaming, becoming a reality :P

Been for a while now, just missing "AAA" games, which we all know aren't AAA quality. :P Although more and more are coming all the time. Especially with current engines like Unreal 4 being written for OpenGL primarily.

Borderlands Pre-Sequel is launching tonight for me, happy times. 

For the rare game I just boot to windows, although It's been nothing but disappointment. Bloody Evil Within is horrible. :(

Dell monitor is coming in December. And 8K TVs were showed at IFA

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/forget-4k-lgs-98-inch-8k-tv-window-future-weve-waiting/

Yeah, because that's definitely coming within the next 2 years.

It doesn't matter how many prototypes there are; it's not shipping, so it's not the highest resolution consumer monitor.

Been for a while now, just missing "AAA" games, which we all know aren't AAA quality. :P Although more and more are coming all the time. Especially with current engines like Unreal 4 being written for OpenGL primarily.

For the rare game I just boot to windows, although It's been nothing but disappointment. Bloody Evil Within is horrible. :(

enjoy it :D

Ive' been playing TPS on my Mac, it's great. Aspyr and Feral Interactive are godsends. 

This new Borderlands game kinda marked something important; it's the first time a Mac publisher has partnered with the devs to release the game on OS X at the same time as all other platforms. Hopefully this happens more! It's annoying when they start to port after it releases, and we get a release months later.

Also happening with the new Lego Batman 3, which my little brother is really excited for :P

Yeah but for $499, it's not too shabby. 

I know it's only $100 more than a i5 Brix or NUC

logic?

I thought apple was supposed to be OP?

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein