Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

one on the left and one on the right, maybe an applewatch for the ankle.

Sadly I don't have an iPhone, and I prefer the circular face of the others.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Sadly I don't have an iPhone, and I prefer the circular face of the others.

the applewatch does not require iphone,

also it's there mainly to show you shit money.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

If I'm honest, it's annoying I don't see any mention of broadwell possibly coming, but that might be for the macbook upgrades later on at some point, so I'll let them off.

I also kind of expected apple to go with AMD for this round of iMacs, as they already put AMD GPUs in the mac pro, so it would make sense, at least from my point of view, for them to put AMD in all their desktop kit, as that's the sort of thing I see apple doing. I'm not complaining, as it means making an AMD hackintosh just got a whole lot easier.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Both! Although I really like the look of the 360, and the R. :/

Might need to get both, find which I prefer and sell the other.

or give away the other *cough* im here for you *cough* :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

the applewatch does not require iphone,

also it's there mainly to show you shit money.

The Apple watch doesn't need an iPhone? Hmm, I was sure it needed to pair with an iOS device just like Google Wear needs an Android phone.

or give away the other *cough* im here for you *cough* :)

Haha, we shall see. Don't hold your breath though. 

I am going to laugh when Apple release the iMac with a 750Ti or some mobile GPU.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I am going to laugh when Apple release the iMac with a 750Ti or some mobile GPU.

Get cracking! They're launching it with the AMD m290X and m295X GPUs.

The iMacs have always had mobile graphics.

If I'm honest, it's annoying I don't see any mention of broadwell possibly coming, but that might be for the macbook upgrades later on at some point, so I'll let them off.

I also kind of expected apple to go with AMD for this round of iMacs, as they already put AMD GPUs in the mac pro, so it would make sense, at least from my point of view, for them to put AMD in all their desktop kit, as that's the sort of thing I see apple doing. I'm not complaining, as it means making an AMD hackintosh just got a whole lot easier.

Yup, they can't have Broadwell in the iMacs since those CPUs haven't been released for the desktop yet. At least you can select up to a 4790K 4.0Ghz in the iMac.

To be honest, it is surprised me.. in a good way

I do not care how much as it cost as A I am not going to buy it and B, we all know it is overpriced, but the 5K screen is an impressive feature!

I do not care how much as it cost as A I am not going to buy it and B, we all know it is overpriced, but the 5K screen is an impressive feature!

It's actually a bargain.

Was hoping the 5k iMac's GPU would have been slightly better  :wacko:  Oh well, it'll still look really good, hopefully 

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Yup, they can't have Broadwell in the iMacs since those CPUs haven't been released for the desktop yet. At least you can select up to a 4790K 4.0Ghz in the iMac.

I was more hoping they'd say that they would have broadwell in them when it comes out, in say the mac mini. I know that they can't put it in them at the moment as it's not out yet, but having them state it's going to be in them would make me happy.

At least the iMacs are getting more powerful, that makes me happy, as my dad might be able to get a decently specced one now.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Actually the Dell 5K screen costs $2500 on its own.

iMac with 5K, and AMD m290X is $2500. That's a very good price, along with a desktop 3.5Ghz i7.

Where's the retina macbook air?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

that's funny, because according to Anand iMacs have some of the most accurate displays around.

This is true. As someone who does lots of color work, I can confirm. I actually almost bought an Apple Thunderbolt Display because of how good their color reproduction is. All of Apple's displays are super accurate. I've even heard of indie filmmakers using iPads to preview color graded content on because they are nearly perfectly calibrated and are far cheaper than a broadcast reference monitor.

A M295X can not handle 5K games lmao, or professional rendering at 5k... Hope those people who buy it enjoy there ultra clear high definition word documents....

we are mocking the consumer grade iPhones and iPads, but I think we can be honest, the workstation grade hardware they sell, like Mac Pro and highend iMac (it will be used by loads of proffesionals too) are really decent!

This is true. As someone who does lots of color work, I can confirm. I actually almost bought an Apple Thunderbolt Display because of how good their color reproduction is. All of Apple's displays are super accurate. I've even heard of indie filmmakers using iPads to preview color graded content on because they are nearly perfectly calibrated and are far cheaper than a broadcast reference monitor.

They're not perfectly calibrated after a few months of use. Everything needs recalibration over time, even an iPad.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

we are mocking the consumer grade iPhones and iPads, but I think we can be honest, the workstation grade hardware they sell, like Mac Pro and highend iMac (it will be used by loads of proffesionals too) are really decent!

Their iMacs need a serious hardware upgrade. What's the proposed internal CPU? Frankly I think they should use the 4980HQ, even with fewer PCIe lanes than say the 4790k. I actually want to save on my electricity and continue selling mine to the power companies.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

so, after reading a couple pages I think this should be renamed to

"Apple presents 'World's highest resolution display' iMac display. Except it's not. Except it kinda is."

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

so, after reading a couple pages I think this should be renamed to

"Apple presents 'World's highest resolution display' iMac display. Except it's not. Except it kinda is."

plus giant mess of comments that won't end anytime soon

Where's the retina macbook air?

Not due out until Broadwell U fully launches.

A M295X can not handle 5K games lmao, or professional rendering at 5k... Hope those people who buy it enjoy there ultra clear high definition word documents....

Gaming no, but rendering 1080p or 1440p content? Yes. People who want to render 4K+ get an external cage of quadros/teslas/firepros(ick) anyway.

for web designers or Photoshop it will be more than enough for that display, if they want to do video editing at that resolution then they would need to get the Mac Pro

4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz... 4790k! Not 4790 and i5 is the 4690

BUT it's probably not Z97 so overclocking is just further not possible on it

Not bad Apple