Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

Will IOS 8 have the same fate as Windows 8? 

iOS 8 is there best os yet, only complaints I've seen are from "Apple Haters"

What are the differences?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

not sure about differences but some key features I'm looking forward to are Apple Pay and Continuity. 

Everything. Performance, features, look, plug-in's, widgets, higher 3rd party support, and a lot more

MKBHD's video: 

Apple's keynote: 

The 5K iMac is surfacing and the AMD m295X is a little beast of a GPU. It's getting 105fps in Cinebench on OS X.

For reference a GTX 780 Ti with 4770K overlocked to 4.5Ghz gets 112fps.

Considering the m295X is only $250 more, a $2750 iMac with 5K display and OpenGL performance essentially matching a GTX 780 Ti, it's a beast of a machine.

It looks like AMD finally stepped up and started getting their Mobile GPUs up to scratch.

92580d1399837012-success-red-pro-haswell

Also here is a 3570K OC's to 5.1 Ghz with 290X OC'd to 1150Mz in Cinebench

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2002015/cinebench-r15-benchmark-thread.html

cinebenchscore51_zps2b26a38d.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Imagine if you take a laptop screen, and slap a mac mini on the back at the center, and put a curved back.

I don't really understand this comment. A 5k 27" laptop screen? The base 5k iMac has a i5-4670 (quad core), DDR3 RAM and an m290x. I don't see any Mac Mini's with those internals.

The highest configurable Mini has a dual core i7-4578U (dual core w/ HT), LPDDR3 RAM and Iris 5100 graphics.

If you're referring to the 21.5" iMacs, you are mostly correct, but certainly not for the 27" model.

So my takeaway is that it works very well and people are upset about that

Starts at $2499.

Seeing that a 4k Asus PQ321q starts at $2000, it's not bad seeing a 5k monitor along with a full powered PC for $500 more. (yes I realize the Asus is 31" but its also 4k rather than 5k).

The Apple tax myth is busted again.

iMac with 27 inch 5K display = $2500

Dell 27 inch 5K display by itself = $2500

logic?

wasnt apple suppoesed to be op?

imacs are entire computers, not just displays

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

imacs are entire computers, not just displays

thanks tips

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

The new iMac's m295X is also rather good at OpenCL and OpenGL4.0 games. Although in older OpenGL 3.2 games like Diablo 3, the m295x is only around 10fps faster than a GTX 780m

Full set of tests, against Dual FirePro D300's, and GTX 780m

http://barefeats.com/imac5k.html

It's just nipping at the heals of a GTX 780 Ti in OpenCL, so for anything that uses that in OS X; which is Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, Motion, Mari, All of the Adobe Suite, and more that 'little mobile GPU is a heavy hitter.

It seems that at $2750, the price of the 5K iMac with m295x; it's actually darn good value.

Qpic9Wp.png

luxmark.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

iOS 8 completely ruined my iPad Air. Ever since I upgraded i get wifi drops and the wifi is just slower in general. It's annoying because I only use my iPad for YouTube, Netflix, Twitch, Spotify and just general web browsing. So it's pretty much useless now, because i'm lucky if I am able to use it for more than 10 minutes before the wifi drops and i have to restart my device (disabling, then re-enabling wifi does not fix the issue).

All of my other wifi devices (phones, laptops, PS3, WiiU) work flawlessly on the network, so it's definently not the router.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X