Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

yea  ^_^ apple like use AMD on the high end line

don't ask why lol...  :ph34r: (fanboy wars coming in 3 2 1)

Absolutely agree, its not really for heavy film makers and editors, but more for the enthusiast and photographer/graphics designer, the people who want to do heavy lifting will no doubt be using a mac pro

I imagine a thunderbolt 5k display is around the corner, and would be amazing to connect a couple to a mac pro for the ultimate editing suite

yeah GG indeed, their line up is extremely strong right now, the cheapest ever point for the iPad and Mac Mini for the consumer, the budget iMac for the family, the 5k imac for the enthusiast and the Mac Pro for the professional, they have everything covered, as well as the excellent iPhone 6 and (hopefully) great watch when launched

It's pretty crazy that they have made such a statement here with the iMac Retina being 5K yet the iPhone 6 is really only 752P or something. I really wish Apple had of given the 6 a 1080p screen and 6 plus a 1440p phone and i would have been really impressed!!!

Since Apple switched over to AMD cards didn't that screw over all the CUDA based applications on Mac with the new Mac Pro? (ei. Adobe, Autodesk).

The new OpenCL integration into the Mercury Playback Engine works really well in Adobe CC, i'm running dual R9 290's on my rig and exporting a 4K video with GPU's enabled took around 4 minutes where as 15 minutes without the GPU's which just goes to show how much of an impact they're having!!!

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

Your wallet..Without the wallet...

1410491847079.jpg

Just a reminder for folks who bought apple iPhone 6  or 6plus, CEO Tim Cook announced Thursday that the company's highly anticipated smartphone-based payment system will debut Oct. 20

"We believe Apple Pay is going to be huge, It's going to change the way we pay for things."

- Tim Cook

Roughly 500 banks will support Apple Pay . Apple has also signed on retailers Full list of Apple Pay partners now stands at 58 ,

455056634.jpg

Apple Pay Support list:

• Aeropastale
  • BJ's Wholesale Club
  • Champs, Chevron
  • ExtraMile
  • Champs
  • Foot Locker
  • Footaction
  • House of Hoops
  • Kids Foot Locker
  • Ladies Foot Locker
  • Office Depot
  • Urban Outfitters
  • Sports Authority
  • RadioShack
  • SIX:02
  • RUN by Foot Locker
  • Texaco
  • Wegmans
  • Apple
  • Babies"R"Us
  • Bloomingdales
  • Macy's
  • McDonalds
  • Petco
  • Panera Bread
  • Subway
  • Toys"R"Us
  • Unleashed
  • Whole Foods
  • Nike
  • Walgreens
  • Duanereade
  • Disney Store
  • PetSmart
  • Chairish
  • Houzz
  • Instacart
  • Lyft
  • HotelTonight
  • SPRING
  • Staples
  • Fancy
  • Apple Store app
  • Disney Store
  • Groupon
  • MLB.com
  • OpenTable
  • Panera Bread
  • Target
  • Uber
  • Sephora
  • Starbucks

apps_large.jpg

& Later on this year on stores such as  Urban Outfitters, Staples, Sephora,Walt disney resort, disney store, Levis etc.

On Thursday, Apple revealed that the number of retail merchants planning to support Apple Pay at checkout now stands at 39. Meanwhile the number of apps planning to support Apple Pay currently stands at 24

Bonus:

347718.jpg

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

Post your comments & rants down below...

Details separate people.

How bout us android uses? You know, the other half of the phone market?

Apple: What's Android? :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Apple: What's Android? :P

Shots fired.. :ph34r:

Details separate people.

Shots fired.. :ph34r:

:lol:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

It's pretty crazy that they have made such a statement here with the iMac Retina being 5K yet the iPhone 6 is really only 752P or something. I really wish Apple had of given the 6 a 1080p screen and 6 plus a 1440p phone and i would have been really impressed!!!

I am not sure, honestly the iPhone 6 screen is absolutely stunning, it is extremely crisp, it has amazing colour and clarity. 

The iPhone 6+ was awarded "best LCD screen ever" only losing the samsungs OLED - but seriously, I think its one of the nicest displays I have ever used on a mobile device

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/iphone-6-plus-awarded-best-lcd-display-ever-but-still-loses-out-to-galaxy-note-4-1266447

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

How bout us android uses? You know, the other half of the phone market?

call your bank, if their any good they already have an app that does it for you.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And then kids are going to use this, and then parents blame Apple for it.... Might not go too well. Interesting idea though.

sorry for the hijack but does anyone know if you can use multiple touch ids for 1 device?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

AnandTech believes that Apple using an overclocked DisplayPort 1.2 to be able to push 5K.

They can do that, as they don't mention DisplayPort anywhere, and so doesn't need to follow specification.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8623/hands-on-apples-imac-with-retina-display

This is also possible, and might explain why it's on the iMac only, the cable distance is VERY short, from the GPU to the monitor, allowing this overclock to be done. Basically, if that was marketed, probably the max length cable would be under 1feet (number from my butt). Plenty of length for the iMac, as the GPU is right next to the monitor circuitry, but too short for a normal separate desktop monitor from the computer.

And then kids are going to use this, and then parents blame Apple for it.... Might not go too well. Interesting idea though.

You should watch the Keynote. They speak a lot into that topic, how it won't be a problem.

How the hell is the iMac that thin???

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

How the hell is the iMac that thin???

It's not. It's really thick at the middle. Imagine if you take a laptop screen, and slap a mac mini on the back at the center, and put a curved back.

It's all tricks that Apple does, and position all it's shots in a way that you don't see the back center part. And Apple only point out the thickness of the edge.."Look so thin!".

21-imac-2012-side.jpg

Keep in mind that it doesn't have an optical drive, and the power supply is outside. The older imac had both inside.

It's not. It's really thick at the middle. Imagine if you take a laptop screen, and slap a mac mini on the back at the center, and put a curved back.

It's all tricks that Apple does, and position all it's shots in a way that you don't see the back center part. And Apple only point out the thickness of the edge.."Look so thin!".

21-imac-2012-side.jpg

Keep in mind that it doesn't have an optical drive, and the power supply is outside. The older imac had both inside.

Ooohhhh that explains it lol, i was like there is NO way it is 5mm thin all the way around LOL

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Ooohhhh that explains it lol, i was like there is NO way it is 5mm thin all the way around LOL

yea, It would bend if it was. It is nice and thin where you touch the computer when you move it with the thickest part at the back where you will never handle it 

Ha ha, yea.

It's the 'tapered' look that Apple have been using for many years on their devices.

It shocks everyone when I say that my Surface Pro 2 is as thick as their MacBook Air. They swear that their MacBook Air is thinner. Put side by side, and you see how the thickness is the same. This is just because the Surface Pro has a boxy design, while the MacBook Air has that tapered look.

Here is a picture against the Surface Pro 1, with it's keyboard attached.

Microsoft-Surface-Pro-v-Macbook-Air-11.p

and the dimension of each:

macbook-air-2013-vs-surface-pro-4.jpg

I must admit, this Apple design fools everyone, even myself.

Ha ha, yea.

It's the 'taper' look that Apple have been using for many years on their devices.

It shocks everyone when I say that my Surface Pro 2 is as thick as their MacBook Air. They sear that their Mac Book Air is thinner. Put side by side, and you see how the thickness is the same. This is just because the Surface Pro has a boxy design, while the MacBook Air has that tapered look.

Here is a picture against the Surface Pro 1, with it's keyboard attached.

and the dimension of each:

I must admit, this Apple design fools everyone, every myself.

Apple puts the guts where people don't notice or interact with the device and make it thinner in the areas where people use it. If you measured the volume of the device(preferably not using water displacement) the Macbook would be much smaller

It's awesome that they have a 5k monitor option. I'm really hoping this will further push cheaper 4k monitors.

yea, It would bend if it was. It is nice and thin where you touch the computer when you move it with the thickest part at the back where you will never handle it 

Lol another apple product bending, wouldn't that be hilarious XP

The new OpenCL integration into the Mercury Playback Engine works really well in Adobe CC, i'm running dual R9 290's on my rig and exporting a 4K video with GPU's enabled took around 4 minutes where as 15 minutes without the GPU's which just goes to show how much of an impact they're having!!!

But that doesn't answer my question at all, I was specifically referring to Fire Pro and Quadro cards, and I was referring to both Adobe and Autodesk applications, in which equally priced Nvidia cards are known to beat the Fire Pro cards almost all of the time.

Also 15 to 4 minutes isn't a big deal and a Nvidia card would have probably performed better.

The Mac Pro uses AMD Fire Pro gpus....

The new one, before it utilized the dual CPU's and you could purchase Quadro cards for CUDA acceleration.

The new iPad mini doesn't make any sense to me at all It's basically just an iPad mini 2 with touch ID what the hell!?

Life.exe is missing