Worst Computer Advice You've Ever Given Someone?

nosirrah123

What's the worst computer advice that you've ever given someone? Along the path of becoming the very best computer nerd that no one ever was, I'm sure everyone's given a non-techie a piece of advice that looking back now, is really cringeworthy. Share any such events here for the entertainment of the masses.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

"Naaaah, you don't need thermal paste." - Me a few years back.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

You can remount a cpu cooler with a hammer.

My Rig: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

"Get this 600W PSU, it's only $20" -- me in 2013 when building my sister's PC.

And guess who's PC I am on now, with that damn Diablotek PSU?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Back in 2012, lets say August, I wasn't very good at the composition of computers, but 2 months later I built my first rig. Anyways, I believe around that time is when the AMD 7000series GPU's came out. And one gpu I got really hooked on was the 'Radeon HD 7770 TWIN FROZR' me being 14 was like oh wow that is the must powerful video card there is. So when my sisters boyfriend was about to build his rig, I suggested that GPU. And now I look back at it his $2000 rig could have gotten a better GPU...

"you need a better processor for gaming"-me 2013

post-4438-0-05605200-1403325755_thumb.jp

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

"Get this 600W PSU, it's only $20" -- me in 2013 when building my sister's PC.

And guess who's PC I am on now, with that damn Diablotek PSU?

Oh man just that name Diablotek made me laugh.

Op mine would probs be telling my step dad to get a pre built computer that had a core i7 pretty sure it was socket 1156 even tho it was way overkill for what he was going to be doing with it and i thought i would be able to game on it because u know core i7 is awesome lol turns out it had like a gt 240 in it or something pathetic lol

Delete System32 (to internet trolls who suddenly need help). but other than that "Intel HD 4600 should be able to handle TF2 with mid range settings at 720p decently (as in more than 15fps on average)" Me 5 months ago.

Nothing to see here, move along

"Yeah, you can use that as a coaster too..." - me when looking at a case with a friend.

Naaa don't buy a pc Commodore 64 is the future. Fuck you guy that mostlikey dead now.

post-4438-0-18765600-1403327794.jpg

post-4438-0-18765600-1403327794.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Get an Apple iPhone. *cough*

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Windows XP is best for gaming *cough*

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Yeah, that $700 Toshiba laptop's probably good for gaming - Me over a year ago.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

.-. Well my grandma has burns on her legs from a laptop I recommended I didn't think it had an over heating problem, yeah due to A toshiba laptop I suggested my grandma went to the hospital   (she fell asleep with the laptop downloading something on her lap it heated so bad her pants caught on fire...)

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

telling my dad to get legit copy of windows worst idea ever he sent a picure to me overfacebook publicly with the cd key asking if that what what he needed to type in and a friend activated it before my dad could

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

nah dont buy that intel CPU, the amd one has more Ghz and 4 more cores!!

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

"Yeah get that (I think it was around 800w) Powersupply! it will be future proof! and it will never give to little power"

The price: 127,99 (Or something)

it was non-modular, not even 80 bronze

It broke after like 6 months of almost no use... He had an i5 (SOmething) 2.4 GHz and a gt _60

Yeeah that was in 2012...

He now has an Imac, and almost never speaks to me anymore ._.

• My System: MSI Z87-GD65 - CPU: I7 4770K OC 4.0 GHZ I7 4770 (3.9 GHz), Antec 620 watercooler - GTX 760 2GB/OC (MSI TwinFrozr IV) - 16 GB Kingston 2133 - 750w Energon - Zalman Z11+ HF1 - Storeage: 2x120 GB EVO 840, 3 TB Seagate Display: Asus 27" VE276Q | Planned upgrades: Gamdias Hermes ultimate, HyperX Cloud, MSI AMD R9 290x, 2x120 HyperX (Linux boot drives)

• Pedro19reddit: "A good console exclusive is like a Ferrari that can only be driven on a swamp." SlickPc "i couldn't even under-clock my 5 year old GFX card to be as slow as a "Next-gen" console #PcMasterRaceProblems

Me long time ago: get the cheapest power supply with 300W you can get (back than it was enough power, lucky he didn't have any problems)..

"1 TB means it has a bigger brain" -Five or six years ago when I knew absolutely nothing about PCs (or any kind of electronics)..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

A buddy shorted his PC and didn't know what to do. I asked him "Have you tried putting it off and on again?"

"I bet we can plug this axillary amp output into our laptops mic input to record it easily right?" -4 Years ago

Well now I have no sound card on my laptop, and I am well aware of the different voltages.