Worst Computer Advice You've Ever Given Someone?

nosirrah123

.-. Well my grandma has burns on her legs from a laptop I recommended I didn't think it had an over heating problem, yeah due to A toshiba laptop I suggested my grandma went to the hospital (she fell asleep with the laptop downloading something on her lap it heated so bad her pants caught on fire...)

Yep, you win the prize for worst advice :P

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Get A Crappy PSU for $15

:) You better hope the guy is not a criminal because next time they see you.....man oh man you are f*****. :lol:

Enthusiast Thug Life  :D

'get a ps3, its looks better and can run games much better than a pc' 

Me about 3 years ago. :(

My PC Specs:          CPU: i5 4690k(stock speed of 3.50GHz)          GPU: MSI GTX 770 4GB          Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD and 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD             Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz           Motherboard: Z97 Asus Maximus VII Ranger          PSU: Corsair RM650 650W          CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO                    Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl with window         OS: Windows 10 Pro                                

"1TB? Who would ever need 1TB of hard disk space? 320GB is the most anyone will ever need." - Me, about seven years ago.

Not so much bad advice, as short-sightedness. But still pretty stupid.

What's the worst computer advice that you've ever given someone? Along the path of becoming the very best computer nerd that no one ever was, I'm sure everyone's given a non-techie a piece of advice that looking back now, is really cringeworthy. Share any such events here for the entertainment of the masses.

"Buy a Gateway." Yikes, my poor grandma. :( The next we got her was an iMac; simple, basic, and durable. She's been running it for 5 years without a single complaint or issue.

Are you threatening me?!

telling my dad to get legit copy of windows worst idea ever he sent a picure to me overfacebook publicly with the cd key asking if that what what he needed to type in and a friend activated it before my dad could

Your "friend" sucks. Seriously.  :huh:

Are you threatening me?!

What is your worst advice you ever got by somebody?

I think someone will mention my name in here because ever knows by "pro" advices:P

I personally got a couple of bad advices by ppl but this is what I can remember right now.

"ViruZ, Don't ever buy AIO watercooler or customloop, because iff you turn your PC around the water will come out and kill you components. And I can't see the difference between watercooler and aircooler? The water gets hot and then what?

"You don't need thermal paste, that is just uncessesary".

That's 2 advices by the same person too:D

What's yours:D?

LET'S START:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Go with AMD. :P

BlueWolf, is this you?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

why do you need more HDD? you have 1 already. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

nothing really

never got bad advice

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

nothing really

never got bad advice

Not even by me? What is this?

the most childish advice: installing games will slow down your computer :lol:

the most childish advice: installing games will slow down your computer :lol:

It is true though.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

• the 760 is much better than the r9 290

the 750 ti is much better than the r9 290

intel is way better than amd at any price-point

there is a 760ti and you have to get it

laptops are much better than PCs

All Apple products are superior to the products of the competition

You don't need more than 4GB of RAM to play BF4 ar max settings

Playing online games will cause your computer to slow down and then break

Corsair fans are the best

more coming soon

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I am the one who advises! None advises me!

Don't forget to wash your hands after you touched your PC, That is an advice!

"Get the packard bell one" When i was looking at laptops

F**ing thing caught fire after two months...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

• the 750 ti is much better than the r9 290
  • intel is way better than amd at any price-point
  • there is a 760ti and you have to get it
  • laptops are much better than PCs
  • All Apple products are superior to the products of the competition
  • You don't need more than 4GB of RAM to play BF4 ar max settings
  • Playing online games will cause your computer to slow down and then break
  • Corsair fans are the best
  • more coming soon

You must have alot of Intel/Nvidia fanboy friends

• the 750 ti is much better than the r9 290
  • intel is way better than amd at any price-point
  • there is a 760ti and you have to get it
  • laptops are much better than PCs
  • All Apple products are superior to the products of the competition
  • You don't need more than 4GB of RAM to play BF4 ar max settings
  • Playing online games will cause your computer to slow down and then break
  • Corsair fans are the best
  • more coming soon

Dude, there is a 760ti, you don't have to get it though.

no sorry, it isn't!

It is, because the computer must read more stuff of the harddrive at boot, making it take longer time. Installing programs also damages the HDD in the long term,