Is soccer the worst modern sport in the world?

Sammael

Now before the foreigners crucify me, remember one thing:

<-- American

Now to my argument.  I am not saying that soccer looks like a bunch of ants roaming a field with no goals for 5 hours... but it's... it's a bunch of ants roaming on a field.

Low to no scoring, it's like a tug of war with a ball.  At least hockey has people with unbladed scythes and jason killer masks where they periodically bludgeon each other.  It adds to the cartoonishness of it all.  The ball is sooooooooo inferior to the frisbee in ultimate frisbee.  The announcers are so catatonic during the entire game because of the black hole of scoring, that when someone finally does score they scream the same note for hours.  As if that is supposed to make up for lack of anything going on?

It's almost as boring as watching runners and track.  

That's not to some some american sports are much better, I think football is boring as well, ditto for baseball.  I'd rather watch a match of league of legends than any of those.  

/puts up flame retardant shield

flame-thrower-o.gif

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Yes. I freaking hate it. Even my GTA SA MP SACNR server was raving about soccer.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

When I saw this thread I thought to myself "that must be an American" lo and behold, it is. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Nope, because golf exists.

Real men play mega-golf!

As for soccer or football as everyone outside of the USA calls it - blame it on a word game that some guy in England started. Yes, some Englishman created the word "soccer" and made United Statesians look even stupider. Well played, England. Well played -, I enjoy it more than American football. Then again, I prefer rugby over American football, anyway.

American football just seems so unnecessarily dangerous and rage-inducing. Rugby to me, seems like everything is calculated and that tackles are meant to stop the opponent, not kill the poor chap. With soccer/futbol, it just seems like a simple game of kick the ball into a goal so that everyone can play it. Compared to baseball, hockey, etc., all you need is a ball, some goal area, and that's it. Same thing with basketball, except the ball needs to be bouncy.  

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Eh, counter strikes more entertaining IMO.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

soccer? soccer? soccer? soccer? soccer? soccer?

It's football!

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I dislike soccer, but I see its point. Slow as it can seem, it is actually fast paced and not too technical so it is easy for anyone to pick up with a ball and 2 spaces. and 2+ players.

Now baseball on the other hand...... <_<

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

... not too technical... 

As a non-football guy I can tell you that if you think that, you obviously have not seen enough football :P:D (I REFUSE TO CALL IT SOCCER! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SOCKS!)

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

As a non-football guy I can tell you that if you think that, you obviously have not seen enough football :P:D (I REFUSE TO CALL IT SOCCER! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SOCKS!)

I mean not rife with complicated plays or rules like american football, and not difficult to casually play with a few people. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I mean not rife with complicated plays or rules like american football, and not difficult to casually play with a few people. 

Oh I thought you meant that the technique was not difficult. Because it is - just look at some of those Barça or Real players. Damn.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

I can't stand watching it, but I enjoy playing a game of it with friends. Professional football is the worst popular sport. There is so much petty rivalry between teams and the amount of bad things that go on in it don't give the sport a good image. People rolling around on the floor in pain when they get so much as flicked, just to stop the game and try to get the other team a penalty is ridiculous. Half of the players forget they are role models to some children watching and just behave like idiots. And the patriotic fans don't help either. I'm not saying all of them are like that, but you can't go to watch a game without seeing some.

It's amazing what being able to earn lots of money does to those players... If they earned half as much as what they do, I think it would be a very different sport to watch.

Although the other annoying thing is the people who don't stop talking about it on social networks and you end up with your entire feed full of football posts.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

ITT: a bunch of edgy, teenage skeletons that can't into sports for shit. 

Seriously, there's a reason it's the most popular sport in the world. 

<-- American

Now to my argument.  I am not saying that soccer looks like a bunch of ants roaming a field with no goals for 5 hours... but it's... it's a bunch of ants roaming on a field.

Low to no scoring, it's like a tug of war with a ball.  At least hockey has people with unbladed scythes and jason killer masks where they periodically bludgeon each other.  It adds to the cartoonishness of it all.  The ball is sooooooooo inferior to the frisbee in ultimate frisbee.  The announcers are so catatonic during the entire game because of the black hole of scoring, that when someone finally does score they scream the same note for hours.  As if that is supposed to make up for lack of anything going on?

It's almost as boring as watching runners and track.  

That's not to some some american sports are much better, I think football is boring as well, ditto for baseball.  I'd rather watch a match of league of legends than any of those.  

/puts up flame retardant shield

flame-thrower-o.gif

Your post is so unnecessary. There is absolutely no need to come here disrespecting soccer fans and especially not with such childish arguments. If you don't like it, don't watch. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Don't like it, don't watch it. 
You may not enjoy it but that's the nature of sport, heck life. 

Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean you should go asking if it's the worst sport. Especially considering currently the tournament that had over 322 million viewers watching the 2006 final is on. 

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

I think when it comes to entertainment Americans need lot's of action and things going on or they get bored, hence just about every one of their sports ends in teams scoring high numbers, and each goal can add several points at a time. Sorry if this makes you sound like you all have ADHD.

No. Calling Soccer boring and slow paced shows a lot about American psychology. Inability to be patient, enjoy life in small doses, complete lack of subtlety...

This is the reason why Michael Bay exists. And why Hollywood is shit. And why most American comedy is obnoxious.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Well soccer/football has not been low scoring at the FIFA World Cup of soccer in 2014 and I think if they would only loosen things up on the offside rule there would always be more scoring. So if you want more goals and excitement with the game I think they can get it if they tweak the rules more. I also have to say the flopping by the players gets old and it really complicates things for the refs but I also think at times refs have the opportunity to get the players to play the game right and just don't come down hard enough on them for certain fouls.  I would have handed out more yellow cards so far in the World Cup.  So could the game be better?  Yes with tougher refereeing the game could be better.  Now as for excitement it sounds like you have no appreciation OP for a game that moves slower at times and have no appreciation for the mad skills and tactics they use out there.  Oh well soccer/football is not for everyone.  Now as for this sport being the worst modern sport in the world I don't know what to say about that but I can say there are other sports people like that are just pure garbage now and the first I can think of that is garbage .......  The NHL and hockey in general .... Uh with the way the game is refereed and with the NHL and other leagues owners and commissioners not wanting to make the game even more exciting by letting offensive players show their skill more by changing goalie equipment, net size and adjusting certain rules the game of hockey might as well be dead.  It is ugly compared to the 80's.  Let the players who can sell the game and make it more exciting do their thing.  I am a NJ Devils fan but watch hockey a bit but uh I do not like the sport anymore.  I have continuously ripped the game for years on Facebook and other sites and finally will be taking my frustration out once again by writing leagues and letting them know what I think of the state of the game and what needs to change.  Still when I write the NHL I know they will ignore me because Bettman has revenues at an all time high and growth has been good in the NHL and so until people stop giving them money they won't fix the game.  Sorry but the refereeing in the NHL this year was once again ridiculously awful.  I still don't see how people can continue to watch a sport that has the "let them play" type mentality still at times and has referees that look right at penalties and don't call them.  Hockey is awful.  The sport will soon almost be dead to me if they don't go for real change and based on the players recommendations for changing the game recently and the GMs supporting them and adding nothing to what they recommended I don't hold out much hope for better hockey.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Just for info I think the name 'soccer' comes from a shortened version of 'Association football' which is the official name of football. It was shortened to soccer by some posh types in Oxford or something to make it sound more cool.

Also football is awesome, but I enjoy watching all sports even the ones I consider more boring, it's always good to watch skillful players playing with passion and commitment, even if it's something silly like baseball :P

The game is fun enough to play, and I'll happily watch a game in a stadium but why anyone would watch it on TV I have no clue - people get so worked up over a bunch of overpaid thickos who kick a ball for 90 minutes... So much for real jobs.

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Soccer is the equal of the gladiators,just in modern days and without gore.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.