[Forbes] Why 'Watch Dogs' Is Bad News For AMD Users -- And Potentially The Entire PC Gaming Ecosystem

"undermining competition?" Under.. Mining.. AMD GPUs..

ha.ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkxdosn8sOo

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

First off, this is no different than AMD users benefiting from Mantle. Second, AMD does NOT control 40% of the GPU market. They have never controlled 40% of the market share. Nvidia has had an almost 2 to 1 advantage for a long time.

mantle gives an advantage, yeah, but it doesn't hide fundamental game code from nvidia, since they still have DX11 and AMD has mantle... the way nvidia are playing it, AMD do not have access to the game code, so how is AMD supposed to make drivers for it? in my eyes this is just marketing from Nvidia, not caring about a good chunk of the PC gaming market. im not saying this out of bias, since im planning to go Nvidia when the new cards come out anyway, this is just obvious Nvidia BS that is unnecessary. 

To me it looks like the AMD guy is just crying because he lost.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

That's not even funny. I can understand things like PhysX here and there that don't do a lot, but a full set of "assets" which will only seems to be here for the sake of undermining competition? I don't like it.

It seems so backward in 2014 to start locking games down when it seems the trend is "multiplatform".

Some might say Mantle is the same thing, but it really isn't (imo). It's an API which (they said) will be "open" for other manufacturers/platforms in the future.

/offtopic If gaming is to come on Linux I don't think OpenGL (not on desktop anyway) in its current state is the way, hence my hope with Mantle in the long term.

Is it me or it's mostly Ubisoft games that use this thing?

Mantle in its current form will never be on Linux.. It uses parts of directx.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

by any chance, where u talking about

Escapist?

im curious about the review :)

Yes

Yahtzee is not a reviewer, he's a critic, and his videos are comedy and not supposed to be anything but entertainment. If you base your purchases on what Yahtzee said, you'll almost never buy a game at all.

False. Ciritics do reviews. Just look at any film critic they do film reviews. Yahtzee's style is only different than other reviewers on the internet in that he criticizes games even when he thinks they are good (which is the way it should be) rather then covering it with saliva. A critics job is to criticize no matter what.  Just because he does his reviews in a comedic fashion doesn't lessen his message.  He is much like the The Spoony One in that regard and just like him people regard Yahtzee as unnecessarily harsh just because he pointed out a valid flaw in a something they liked. 

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

My 290 runs it fine with fluent FPS /w Ultra 2xAA (currently @ stock)

Dunno why but loading times are not huge either (256GB 840 Pro?), compared to what I've been reading they've been quite bad/long..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yes

False. Ciritics do reviews. Just look at any film critic they do film reviews. Yahtzee's style is only different than other reviewers on the internet in that he criticizes games even when he thinks they are good (which is the way it should be) rather then covering it with saliva. A critics job is to criticize no matter what.  Just because he does his reviews in a comedic fashion doesn't lessen his message.  He is much like the The Spoony One in that regard and just like him people regard Yahtzee as unnecessarily harsh just because he pointed out a valid flaw in a something they liked. 

If you think ZP are reviews to be taken seriously, you have been poisoned by Fox News and there is no hope for you.

Yahtzee only highlights negatives - reviews have to be balanced. It is the definition of a review. Only very rarely does he properly balance this and it's a no-brainer for pretty much anyone with cognitive ability to see that.

Zero Punctuation is comedy. And this sentence will have a punctuation: End of discussion.

Sincerely, someone who works as a journalist for a living.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I don't know why this article occurred after Watch Dogs. Though, AMD some what does this too. If only the features like this weren't proprietary and were open to both GPUs of the market. But that is how the art of business goes.

Tomb Raider was different. Nvidia did in fact get to optimize the game code for its hardware and several in-game patches were released for the sole purpose of that. 

Just wondering, how long time did it take for all of this to happen?

Just wondering, how long time did it take for all of this to happen?

About a month?

Regardless, they didn't need to reverse-engineer obfuscated code to optimize TressFX and the rest of the game for their GK architecture. They were given all of the documentation needed.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If you think ZP are reviews to be taken seriously, you have been poisoned by Fox News and there is no hope for you.

Yahtzee only highlights negatives - reviews have to be balanced. It is the definition of a review. Only very rarely does he properly balance this and it's a no-brainer for pretty much anyone with cognitive ability to see that.

Zero Punctuation is comedy. And this sentence will have a punctuation: End of discussion.

Sincerely, someone who works as a journalist for a living.

You are wrong and part of the problem if you utter the words "end of discussion" like a fucking 12 year old. I'm not an American so screw your FOX news. Yehtzee does say whether or not he likes a game or whether or not its a good game but you might be too blinded by your fanboy rage to realize this. Please tell me the publication you work for, I will make sure to never look at it ever.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Yarrrr,

There be a lot of crying people in these here thread.

Is this a bad thing. Yeah.

Is he saying it because he's AMD and is it less worse then he is saying. Probably

Would AMD do this or are they doing this 2. Yup.

Its called competition, it might be a bad thing for us gamers.

But both will do this to some if not a full extend.

These kind of things are no reason not to buy Nvidia, or AMD for that matter.

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

About a month?

Ok. But that's still quite some time nonetheless

You are wrong and part of the problem if you utter the words "end of discussion" like a fucking 12 year old. I'm not an American so screw your FOX news. Yehtzee does say whether or not he likes a game or whether or not its a good game but you might be too blinded by your fanboy rage to realize this. Please tell me the publication you work for, I will make sure to never look at it ever.

Ugh..I'm not going to take sides in any of this, but what I bolded strikes a nerve with me as well so much. I've had this crap thrown at me before by other LTT posters because I had a differing opinion. It's one of the most pitiful attempts at a comeback that only makes the user of the insult be the one who looks like a fool. I AM American and I flat out cringe when someone implies someone masturbates over Fox News as some sort of insult fodder.

Protip: Implying another member on LTT has wet dreams over Fox News because they dare have a differing opinion than your own is a petty cheap shot and nothing more. You're not being clever.

lolwut? I don't disagree with your stance on ZP, but those two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Kinda childish...

I don't understand all this rage.  Game developers tailor their games to play better on either AMD or Intel cards ALL the time (except in the earlier days), and you can tell by the little 'NVIDIA' or 'AMD' mini-add/badge when you load the game.

If some of you are so upset over this you should learn some history.  AMD don't exactly have a clean slate.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

Yea I know that but I was drawing similarities in the outcome. I don't think it will be that big of an issue. Tomb Raider turned out fine on Nvidia GPU's as far as I know it just took a little longer for it to get optimized and fixed. Watch Dogs won't be any different. AMD cards run every other GameWorks fine doesn't it so I doubt there will be any difference. Although I would say there does need to be some work done on the communication side between Nvidia, AMD and the game dev. It needs to be neutral and AMD needs to be able to look at the game before it comes out. That goes for when both companies get a hold of the game design team before the other one does. 

No it's not the same. Tomb Raider turn out fine for Nvidia because TressFX is not proprietary tech. Nvidia was able to look at the code and optimize it for their GPUs while Gamework is a total blackbox for AMD driver team. 

I don't understand all this rage.  Game developers tailor their games to play better on either AMD or Intel cards ALL the time (except in the earlier days), and you can tell by the little 'NVIDIA' or 'AMD' mini-add/badge when you load the game.

If some of you are so upset over this you should learn some history.  AMD don't exactly have a clean slate.

What game? Give me 5 games in the past 4 years.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

No it's not the same. Tomb Raider turn out fine for Nvidia because TressFX is not proprietary tech. Nvidia was able to look at the code and optimize it for their GPUs while Gamework is a total blackbox for AMD driver team. 

So devs have a choice on whether to use this garbage or not and then complains when they choose to use it...am I getting this right?

So devs have a choice on whether to use this garbage or not and then complains when they choose to use it...am I getting this right?

Sry wut?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Sry wut?

Devs can choose not to use the Gameworks tools can they not?  So far the only announced titles are Watchdogs, AC4 and the next Batman game.

Devs can choose not to use the Gameworks tools can they not?  So far the only announced titles are Watchdogs, AC4 and the next Batman game.

Yup, you forgot COD:Ghost and Arkham Origin which already out.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd/2

Already installed that, just need to wait for Watchdogs to go on sale. lel

My pathetic GPU wouldn't even care.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

TressFX runs on the CPU for Nvidia users. So yes it is proprietary software just like PhysX is. Or at least that was what happened when I last looked at Tomb Raider. TressFX looks like sh*t though so it didn't matter all that much.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard