[Forbes] Why 'Watch Dogs' Is Bad News For AMD Users -- And Potentially The Entire PC Gaming Ecosystem

Mantle makes the game run more efficiently, while Gameworks includes a suite of visual effects. Why is it a problem that they chose to add visual effects, is that not what pc gamers want most? the super effects that make the experience all that much better? i think the difference here makes all the arguments about mantly being open irrelevant, its not mantle.

the problem is not the open standards. any game developed with mantle also is developed for directX. it may run better on mantle, but mantle doesn't lock the other company out of the game's source code (for directX). Nvidia gameworks DOES lock AMD out of the source code, effectively.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

the problem is not the open standards. any game developed with mantle also is developed for directX. it may run better on mantle, but mantle doesn't lock the other company out of the game's source code (for directX). Nvidia gameworks DOES lock AMD out of the source code, effectively.

Thats a pretty good point then. I guess im just hung up on Gameworks actually adding to features in the game not just making it run better like mantle does and theres so many people bringing up mantle. It is pretty unfair that it works out that way for AMD users but then why would Nvidia take the time to specially code and optimize for AMD. I bet there will be some "standardized" committee that will come about and set regulations.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

"Open" is not strictly inherently "Open Source". You can have a programming API that has plenty of documentation and support, yet still have its source code undisclosed.

To put it simply, as far i know. Developers hate gameworks and they like the idea of mantle. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

So Nvidia has a program where developers put some extra time into making the game look good and run well only on Nvidia hardware? Yeah, AMD would NEVER do anything like that. I mean, say, inventing a whole new API that's only compatible with AMD GPUs but boosts performance significantly for games that use it... totally not something AMD would do.

Let me just quote this comment from another article about Gameworks:

The difference between Gameworks and Mantle is that AMD cannot work with developers to optimize GW libraries for AMD GPUs. Developers can optimize those libraries in some situations, but they cannot share code with AMD.

How much does this matter? Quite a bit, in my personal opinion. Optimizing for Mantle does not hurt a developer's ability to optimize for Direct3D in any shape or form. A company that optimizes for Mantle on AMD can still optimize its D3D implementation for Nvidia.

But the Nvidia GW libraries implement core DX11 functionality, and they do so in a way that AMD can't match unless it creates its own libraries from scratch *and* persuades the developer to use them.

To summarize:

A developer that uses Mantle is not prohibited from optimizing D3D for Nvidia cards in any fashion.

A developer that uses GameWorks cannot optimize GW functions for AMD graphics cards.

They are not equivalent.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Even more quality gameplay from quality game....

no freakin way that's terrible and lazy

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Thats a pretty good point then. I guess im just hung up on Gameworks actually adding to features in the game not just making it run better like mantle does and theres so many people bringing up mantle. It is pretty unfair that it works out that way for AMD users but then why would Nvidia take the time to specially code and optimize for AMD. I bet there will be some "standardized" committee that will come about and set regulations.

it's not that Nvidia isn't take time to optimize for AMD as well, they wouldn't bother doing that because AMD doesn't get the new additions gameworks adds. 

What nvidia IS doing is requiring developers to lock AMD out of the development process. They are taking extra time to ask developers to keep AMD from adding their own optimizations into the source code.

This is a common thing. almost ever AAA game has this treatment from both GPU producers. however, Nvidia found a way to lock AMD out of this process.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Haven't they been working on this game since like 2011? Yet the game still runs like crap on high powered machines (even Nvidia cards). I feel like they should've had plenty of time to streamline the code, but nope. Not to mention they delayed the game for 7 months.

Game developers are really starting to push my buttons (pun intended), I mean these junky business practices shouldn't fly, and I will NOT be buying a game that is not up to par just so a company can make more money off of gimmicks like Gameworks. I'd rather have a fun game than a slightly prettier boring game.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

How is this different from AMD Gaming Evolved titles?

How is this different from AMD Gaming Evolved titles?

Go play AC4 with amd hardware and come back. 

AMD doesn't purposely make games perform like shit on NVIDIA hardware, but NVIDIA makes games run like shit on AMD hardware. 

If this GPU war bullshit continues im gonna do both AMD and NVIDIA in my next machine. Probably just take a few of my mining cards and game on them. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Go play AC4 with amd hardware and come back. 

AMD doesn't purposely make games perform like shit on NVIDIA hardware, but NVIDIA makes games run like shit on AMD hardware. 

I played AC4 with my 670 on launch and it ran like dogshit, I haven't gone back to it.

I think AC4 is just a poor port full stop.

I played AC4 with my 670 on launch and it ran like dogshit, I haven't gone back to it.

I think AC4 is just a poor port full stop.

Unplayable on a lot of AMD hardware. That surprises me because it played good on a 650ti for me. I found it someone ran really smooth and stable on the 650ti if I just did vsync. Weird. 

But yea this PC last thing is getting annoying Ubisoft. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Does AC4 run horribly on amd? Damn I was going to buy that game when it came out on steam sale. You'd figure since console are more pc like it be easier. Why can't Ubisoft get some people who know how to optimize for the PC.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Unplayable on a lot of AMD hardware. That surprises me because it played good on a 650ti for me. I found it someone ran really smooth and stable on the 650ti if I just did vsync. Weird. 

But yea this PC last thing is getting annoying Ubisoft. 

I did say 'on launch' and that I've not gone back to it, assuming it's been dealt with now it could be fine I don't know, but that was the last Ubisoft PC game I had on launch (came with my 670).

really it does?! Damn I was going to buy that game when it came out on steam sale. You'd figure since console are more pc like it be easier. Why can't Ubisoft get some people who know how to optimize for the PC.

Well for crossfire I found that running it on 1x1 optimize really improves it for some reason, even over regular AFR. Makes no sense but it works. I notice for most cards using vsync dramatically improves performance.  Idk why that really confuses me. 

I't also worth mentioning it has a 30fps vsync option and it's suprisingly playable if need be, so that a good thing. 

I suggest bootleg and try first to see if you can get it to run acceptably. It is a lot better game than AC3, so it is worth getting if it'll work for you. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Here are the benchmarks for Watch Dogs R9 290X and GTX 770 and was surprised in how the GTX 770 can beat or almost beat the R9 290X in Watch Dogs even though they are pretty different in terms of price: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/37988/watch-dogs-performs-much-better-on-nvidia-gpus-amd-slips/index.htm

l37988_01_watch_dogs_performs_much_better

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Here are the benchmarks for Watch Dogs R9 290X and GTX 770 and was surprised in how the GTX 770 can beat or almost beat the R9 290X in Watch Dogs even though they are pretty different in terms of price: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/37988/watch-dogs-performs-much-better-on-nvidia-gpus-amd-slips/index.htm

l37988_01_watch_dogs_performs_much_better

Not surprised. Normally the 770 is a lil below the 290x, which is disappointing seeing it is cheaper. I expect more from AMD. Mining is driving prices up. Although the 290x IS the top of the line, so it comes witha premium

muh specs 

All parts black

First off, this is no different than AMD users benefiting from Mantle. Second, AMD does NOT control 40% of the GPU market. They have never controlled 40% of the market share. Nvidia has had an almost 2 to 1 advantage for a long time.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

First off, this is no different than AMD users benefiting from Mantle. Second, AMD does NOT control 40% of the GPU market. They have never controlled 40% of the market share. Nvidia has had an almost 2 to 1 advantage for a long time.

Amd does not lock NVIDIA out. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I am usually a pacifist when it comes to which side is better, but this is just blatant fanboism. Whichever side has the best performance:dollar is the right card to get, but this BS "GameWorks" from Nvidia is skewing the results into Nvidia's favor, deceiving customers. I am honestly considering this to be illegal for false advertising. This isn't "Nvidia optimized", it's "AMD gimped".

I like how you think.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

I am usually a pacifist when it comes to which side is better, but this is just blatant fanboism. Whichever side has the best performance:dollar is the right card to get, but this BS "GameWorks" from Nvidia is skewing the results into Nvidia's favor, deceiving customers. I am honestly considering this to be illegal for false advertising. This isn't "Nvidia optimized", it's "AMD gimped".

EXACTLY! This is what I wish people that compare this with mantle would understand. I actually prefer NVIDIA cards, but this is bullshit on nvidias part. This is dishonest. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Not surprised. Normally the 770 is a lil below the 290x, which is disappointing seeing it is cheaper. I expect more from AMD. Mining is driving prices up. Although the 290x IS the top of the line, so it comes witha premium

The price for the R9 290X has now dropped in price (AMD announced that the inflation was over) and I see a pretty big difference between those two cards except some benchmark like Star Citizen Hanger where the FPS difference is less than 10 : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1037 (I assume that their benchmarks are not overclocked)

http://youtu.be/djvZaHHU4I8?t=9m23s

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The price for the R9 290X has now dropped in price (AMD announced that the inflation was over) and I see a pretty big difference between those two cards except some benchmark like Star Citizen Hanger where the FPS difference is less than 10 : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1037 (I assume that their benchmarks are not overclocked)

http://youtu.be/djvZaHHU4I8?t=9m23s

Really?  Based on scores and other benchmarks I saw I didn't think they were that far apart. But in that one the 290x really shines. Hmm. 

muh specs 

All parts black

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

A bit like what happened between Tomb Raider 2013 and Nvidia. Nvidia never even got their hands on it until it was released. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard