[Forbes] Why 'Watch Dogs' Is Bad News For AMD Users -- And Potentially The Entire PC Gaming Ecosystem

TressFX runs on the CPU for Nvidia users. So yes it is proprietary software just like PhysX is. Or at least that was what happened when I last looked at Tomb Raider. TressFX looks like sh*t though so it didn't matter all that much.

Where you get that source?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

To my Knowledge, and all the googling I found, TressFX runs on any DirectX11 Card, So yes that included nvidia.

Kuddle may have been thinking of the very start of Tomb Raider, when nvidia's drivers didn't have it yet, but it was added later.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

To my Knowledge, and all the googling I found, TressFX runs on any DirectX11 Card, So yes that included nvidia.

Kuddle may have been thinking of the very start of Tomb Raider, when nvidia's drivers didn't have it yet, but it was added later.

Yup, it was based on DirectCompute hence why i shocked when someone posted it ran on CPU for Nvidia users.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

this feels like a one sided conversation. I dont think I saw a remark from nvidia pr. so what I gather is that some jounralist from forbes talked to an AMD pr and they got to talking about watch dogs. so all in all I dont see this as a big deal. nvida has developed technology that someone at EA wanted to use. maybe AMD needs to develop their own proprietary software to compete with nvidia instead of coming up with mantel a practically useless piece of coding with directx getting an update. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

mantel a practically useless piece of coding with directx getting an update. 

I agree with some of what you said, not this, I am pretty sure personally that Microsoft wouldn't have put as much "recent" attention into the driver overhead of DX12 as they were originally going to do, with other companies bringing out competitive products (concept, working or not) it will push them to do better.

You say Mantle was useless, I say it was revolutionary, only because it lights fires under some asses.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I agree with some of what you said, not this, I am pretty sure personally that Microsoft wouldn't have put as much "recent" attention into the driver overhead of DX12 as they were originally going to do, with other companies bringing out competitive products (concept, working or not) it will push them to do better.

You say Mantle was useless, I say it was revolutionary, only because it lights fires under some asses.

true but the way it was kept secret and then hyped was like lighting a bonfire with gasoline.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

this feels like a one sided conversation. I dont think I saw a remark from nvidia pr. so what I gather is that some jounralist from forbes talked to an AMD pr and they got to talking about watch dogs. so all in all I dont see this as a big deal. nvida has developed technology that someone at EA wanted to use. maybe AMD needs to develop their own proprietary software to compete with nvidia instead of coming up with mantel a practically useless piece of coding with directx getting an update. 

95054.jpg

Even more quality gameplay from quality game....

Are you only here to nitpick the game? Sure the driving isn't that great, but it's still a fun game.

It was an assumption. If I am wrong then there you go.  

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I don't understand all this rage.  Game developers tailor their games to play better on either AMD or Intel cards ALL the time (except in the earlier days), and you can tell by the little 'NVIDIA' or 'AMD' mini-add/badge when you load the game.

If some of you are so upset over this you should learn some history.  AMD don't exactly have a clean slate.

It happened in the earlier days as well with for example GLIDE.

maybe AMD needs to develop their own proprietary software to compete with nvidia

They already have. It's called Mantle but for some reason people don't consider it proprietary, even though it ticks every. single. mark that defines something as proprietary.

This forum has far to many AMD fanboys.

It happened in the earlier days as well with for example GLIDE.

They already have. It's called Mantle but for some reason people don't consider it proprietary, even though it ticks every. single. mark that defines something as proprietary.

fan boys of any kinda are a problem.

blue/green team for the win!

(sarcasm)

Not sure about this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Believe it or not AMD fanboys are my least favourite type of fanboy, they seem to be the most prone to apologist behaviour.

AFAIK amd offered mantle to Nvidia, but they didn't want it.

We don't know that, or what the implications of such a deal would be. AMD might have demanded other things in return such as patents/money/cross licensing/etc, or maybe they would have had to make dramatic changes to the architecture and then basically have AMD dictate architectural changes for their GPUs (in order to not break compatibility).

It's easy to say "well they offered a deal" when they deal might have been absolute garbage. The entire argument is based on the assumption that AMD are good guys that wouldn't demand anything back from Nvidia, but we have absolutely no evidence at all that supports that assumption.

Until AMD makes all the trademarks and patents regarding Mantle public domain, as well as release the source code under a free license such as GPL, Mantle will be just as proprietary as for example PhysX, no matter what AMD fanboys will say.

Edit: And don't think of a second that I am trying to defend Nvidia or something like that. They are full of shit as well for the GameWorks "blackbox". At least Nvidia isn't pretending to be nice and open about it.

Nvidia is slipping a roofie into your drink and stares into your eyes while doing so.

AMD is pointing fingers towards Nvidia going "look at him putting a roofie into that drink!" as a distraction, while slipping a roofie into your drink.

Yes mantle isn't open source, but is not like BF4 or Thief ship without a Direct3D option, Nvidia can still optimize on that side of the code. If there was only a Mantle version and Nvidia wasn't allowed to really optimize, yeah I'd be pissed.

Do we really need a repeat of the scenario of the processors side where AMD just said "fuck it we're starting fresh, see you in 2016" but for GPUs? What would happen then? Nvidia would say "Ok Maxwell? Yeah you dont need that, just have 100 more cuda cores, 50mhz and the rest will be all rebrands" I mean yeah I know it already happens but the performance difference between Nvidia and AMD isn't as great as Intel vs AMD

-------

Current Rig

-------

We don't know that, or what the implications of such a deal would be. AMD might have demanded other things in return such as patents/money/cross licensing/etc, or maybe they would have had to make dramatic changes to the architecture and then basically have AMD dictate architectural changes for their GPUs (in order to not break compatibility).

It's easy to say "well they offered a deal" when they deal might have been absolute garbage. The entire argument is based on the assumption that AMD are good guys that wouldn't demand anything back from Nvidia, but we have absolutely no evidence at all that supports that assumption.

Until AMD makes all the trademarks and patents regarding Mantle public domain, as well as release the source code under a free license such as GPL, Mantle will be just as proprietary as for example PhysX, no matter what AMD fanboys will say.

Edit: And don't think of a second that I am trying to defend Nvidia or something like that. They are full of shit as well for the GameWorks "blackbox". At least Nvidia isn't pretending to be nice and open about it.

Nvidia is slipping a roofie into your drink and stares into your eyes while doing so.

AMD is pointing fingers towards Nvidia going "look at him putting a roofie into that drink!" as a distraction, while slipping a roofie into your drink.

I said as far as I know, it's not saying it's what actually happened. Also, I'm not an AMD fanboy. I dislike Nvidia, but I don't really have any love for AMD either.

Yes mantle isn't open source, but is not like BF4 or Thief ship without a Direct3D option, Nvidia can still optimize on that side of the code. If there was only a Mantle version and Nvidia wasn't allowed to really optimize, yeah I'd be pissed.

Do we really need a repeat of the scenario of the processors side where AMD just said "fuck it we're starting fresh, see you in 2016" but for GPUs? What would happen then? Nvidia would say "Ok Maxwell? Yeah you dont need that, just have 100 more cuda cores, 50mhz and the rest will be all rebrands" I mean yeah I know it already happens but the performance difference between Nvidia and AMD isn't as great as Intel vs AMD

AMD can still make improvements to Watch_Dogs. In fact, the latest driver increases performance by ~25%. So it's not like their hands are completely tied. It's harder for them to improve performance than it should be, but not impossible.

I said as far as I know, it's not saying it's what actually happened. Also, I'm not an AMD fanboy. I dislike Nvidia, but I don't really have any love for AMD either.

Well what you know about it is nothing, so your statement is just an assumption that AMD gave them a fair deal with next to no drawbacks which Nvidia declined out of pride.

I think it's silly to make such a statement which is why I don't think it is a valid argument for why "Mantle is open". The argument only makes sense if you are biased towards AMD.

AMD can still make improvements to Watch_Dogs. In fact, the latest driver increases performance by ~25%. So it's not like their hands are completely tied. It's harder for them to improve performance than it should be, but not impossible.

But is it really fair to make it harder for amd to optimize for WD

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

But is it really fair to make it harder for amd to optimize for WD

Nope

There's no reason for Nvidia to accept Mante, when they're working over 4 years with Microsoft developing DX12.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

I don't know about crippling the whole industry, but I don't like the fact that they do handicap AMD's performance in the game.  That is bullshit and shouldn't be allowed

Are you only here to nitpick the game? Sure the driving isn't that great, but it's still a fun game.

You dont happen to work for ubisoft do you? The game is clearly shit "press e to trigger this and that" with shitty gunplay, story, graphics and physics.

that game doesn't even run that good, on anything

it's just not optimized, like, at all.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

You dont happen to work for ubisoft do you? The game is clearly shit "press e to trigger this and that" with shitty gunplay, story, graphics and physics.

No, I just enjoy the game. I don't think the graphics are that bad. I'm playing on medium, and they're hardly "next gen" but I still think they're fine. Optimization sucks though. I love the atheistic of the city too. I love the dialogue, I like the gun play, it's pretty much the same as any GTA game. I like the hacking mechanics, I love the game invasion. Also, what were you expecting for the hacking? Do you think it would have been good to have to go through a hacking mini-game every time you want to trigger something in a high-speed chase? Driving physics are bad, but I never expected a lot from that anyway. They actually remind me a lot of SR, so it's not too bad, but I would have preferred something like GTA V. I haven't played a lot of the story yet, so I can't comment on that.