Intel's slapped a 16GB dual-channel minimum entry requirement on Core Ultra laptops

DuckDodgers

Intel is tightening the certification requirements around their new mobile platform to keep the integrated GFX performance leveled.

Quotes

If you want your shiny new Intel Core UItra laptop to come with an equally shiny Arc Graphics badge, then you're going to need to make sure you have at least 16GB of memory inside your machine and that it's configured in dual-channel mode, too.

Think about the sort of performance on offer with the top handheld gaming PCs we've seen this year, and you'll be in the right ball-park. Intel is even promising to be, on average, 10% faster than the AMD Ryzen 7 7840U chip those devices all use.

But, because the integrated Core Ultra graphics silicon has no discrete framebuffer to call its own, it has to operate with shared memory, and that means calling on the laptop's RAM quotient. And Intel tells us that to hit its performance targets you need at least 16GB of the stuff, configured in dual-channel mode to deliver the bandwidth it needs.

The OEMs still haven't learnt from the Vista disaster with underpowered hardware, while Apple is charging $200 for 8GB of RAM upgrade. The PC ultra-portables need to level up.

Source:

https://www.pcgamer.com/intels-slapped-a-16gb-dual-channel-minimum-entry-requirement-on-core-ultra-laptops-if-you-want-top-gaming-performance/

I'd argue it should be 32GB, but overall its fair to say 16GB dual-channel is a bare minimum.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd argue it should be 32GB, but overall its fair to say 16GB dual-channel is a bare minimum.

Agree,

And How I wish they slip the word "UNSOLDERED" before [Put amount of RAM here]

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Agree,

Or at least 32GB if soldered, 16GB if socketed.  Though I don't like soldered RAM period given bad RAM is not entirely uncommon.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

29 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Though I don't like soldered RAM period given bad RAM is not entirely uncommon.

Commonality vs frequency 😉

I know nitpicking haha, but it's only observed simply due to how much DRAM is out there, it failing is very uncommon yet frequent.

Hypercars like Bugatti's and Lambos (top end) fail commonly yet infrequently 🙃

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Commonality vs frequency 😉

I know nitpicking haha, but it's only observed simply due to how much DRAM is out there, it failing is very uncommon yet frequent.

Hypercars like Bugatti's and Lambos (top end) fail commonly yet infrequently 🙃

True, but when it happens to you (don't think it ever has me except on GPUs where there are good reasons not to use sockets) then it sucks.

There's also the obvious that the life span is longer if you can expand the RAM later too.  Or one of my laptops that has 4GB soldered and a socket, which is the worst of both worlds making it almost pointless upgrading it past 8GB due to having to run in hybrid single/dual channel mode, if that's even supported.

6 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Agree,

You can’t have unsoldered lpddr5 until camm2 launches. 

1 minute ago, starsmine said:

You can’t have unsoldered lpddr5 until camm2 launches. 

And until laptop manufacturer decide to use it*

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Agree,

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I think anything below quad-channel 256GB memory is unacceptable and absolutely necessary and indispensible for everyone that buys such a machine. I will accept no other use cases. Because the only thing that helps and defines user experience is bigger number more better. Also, they must be regular full-sized DIMMs compatible down to DDR2, the CPU and GPU chip must be socketed, and the machine is not allowed to weigh less than 20kg, be thinner than 10cm and not look horrible. Otherwise, no certification for you.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

I think anything below quad-channel 256GB memory is unacceptable and absolutely necessary and indispensible for everyone that buys such a machine. I will accept no other use cases. Because the only thing that helps and defines user experience is bigger number more better. Also, they must be regular full-sized DIMMs compatible down to DDR2, the CPU and GPU chip must be socketed, and the machine is not allowed to weigh less than 20kg, be thinner than 10cm and not look horrible. Otherwise, no certification for you.

Except your post is snarky whereas mine is based on genuine use-cases given they are talking about faster iGPUs which means faster RAM is needed and more of it to make good use.

Let's not forget, even the Steam Deck has 16GB and some niche cases could benefit from 32GB.

Any brand-new laptop with less RAM than a Steam Deck seems a rip-off to me, doubly-so if its soldered.

12 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Nah that's too much.  Very few common programs, including games, are asking for anything more than 16GB.  They're making 16GB dual-channel the requirement that even laptops well below $1000 need to meet, which is a big deal.

In terms of pure performance, the dual-channel minimum is the bigger deal here.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Let's not forget, even the Steam Deck has 16GB and some niche cases could benefit from 32GB.

So we're comparing gaming consoles to laptops now???

Do I need to explain why this is a bad comparison?

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

34 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

.... Steam deck is just a laptop without a keyboard. 
Do I need to explain why what you said is wild?

Its a linux PC, and you can install windows on it to, and dock it with a keyboard. its a portable all in one. 

My 12GB ram laptop with zen 3 hits pagefile DAILY. Its not even like Im running ram heavy tasks other then chrome on it

image.png.f6448af944166d7141b7daecc36e3de7.png

image.png.770f38c324b33a860a83bebdcbd7d67e.png

16GB is the minimum today for new laptops, and in 2H 2024, if a new laptop is being sold with under 24GB, honestly, its taking the piss. I dont mean super expensive laptops, New ones except for zen 3 all use DDR5. The zen 2 laptops 8020 series uses DDR5. AKA 12GB per 64bit channel is reasonable and cheap. 

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Except your post is snarky whereas mine is based on genuine use-cases given they are talking about faster iGPUs which means faster RAM is needed and more of it to make good use.

And this is only for "Core Ultra", not anything below that. At least Intel's standard for Ultra is 16GB ram whereas another large brand "Pro" minimum is not at least 16GB 🤷‍♂️

You don't have to buy "Ultra" nor err "Pro", but an actually relevant minimum standard to what should be a meaningful name that denotes quality and/or performance is not a bad thing.

Please note the dual channel 16GB requirement is only if you want to have an "Arc Graphics" sticker on the laptop. Manufacturers can still fit less ram if they want to, or alternative single channel configurations. Not every model will be marketed towards graphics performance.

Meteor Lake seems mostly targeted at the higher end. In that sense 16GB feels a reasonable amount still for most general users. Specific power users may want more, with optional higher models for more demanding users. 8GB is a bit stingy should a manufacturer go there, but maybe there are niche use case for example in application specific NUCs when the chips eventually reaches those.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Techstorm970 said:

Nah that's too much.  Very few common programs, including games, are asking for anything more than 16GB.  They're making 16GB dual-channel the requirement that even laptops well below $1000 need to meet, which is a big deal.

Laptops below $1000 do not and probably will not always be using top end Intel Ultra CPUs, Ultra is not the only option here.

56 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

It's not a bad comparison since a gaming console is still a computer and a Steam Deck is just Linux, which uses less ram than Windows, and is purposed for single application workloads, again also requiring less ram.

A standard Windows laptop will both use and more likely require more ram than a Steam Deck. While you can use less and it'll work, even quite well that is also entirely down to what the user is actually doing. Putting 16GB in to almost every laptop isn't actually that expensive, why it is not being done has more to do with supply chain and stock levels than what Samsung/Micron etc charge between 8GB and 16GB.

We could have 16GB in "everything" however the memory makers need to know to supply at that sort of minimum system specification level and additionally actually have enough wafer capacity to do it. If we just globally doubled the ram in every system from now on then memory chip/package supply would half, is that viable?

I would argue the major factor in system minimum specifications for things like ram is manufacturing not end user requirements.

With ram being so cheap nowadays I see no reason to sell high-tier laptop with less than 16GB. I criticised Apple for shipping macbook pro with 8GB so props to Intel for requireing 16GB.

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

low-bar-winner.png

Well, apple managed to disappoint me.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:01 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd argue that shipping anything with only a single channel is a PC crime. Yet that's frequently what you see in Dell's. Even Asus.

On 12/17/2023 at 2:44 PM, Ydfhlx said:

With ram being so cheap nowadays I see no reason to sell high-tier laptop with less than 16GB. I criticised Apple for shipping macbook pro with 8GB so props to Intel for requireing 16GB.

If they're going to solder the RAM, then it should be twice that which is recommended. If they're going to allow the user to field upgrade, then 16GB is fine, and a user can install 32, 64, 96, 128, 192, or 256 by themselves. The problem in laptop form factors is that you often only have 1 slot per channel, so you can only put one or two sticks in most, and the laptops that used to have 4 slots you have to insert two on the back, and then take apart the keyboard-side of the laptop to insert two more on that side. There's just not enough space.

Hence better to have a higher bar.

I'm also thinking this is to make Intel parts look better than Apple entry level parts.

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

I'd argue that shipping anything with only a single channel is a PC crime. Yet that's frequently what you see in Dell's. Even Asus.

Well that is kinda the topic that they ARE making it mandatory.  Although technically a single stick of DDR5 is dual-channel (just not in the same way), so maybe its a cop-out and ends up being more of the same?

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well that is kinda the topic that they ARE making it mandatory.  Although technically a single stick of DDR5 is dual-channel (just not in the same way), so maybe its a cop-out and ends up being more of the same?

It is only mandatory if you want to use the Arc Graphics sticker, but otherwise it isn't. Given Meteor Lake is mostly a higher end offering it seems unlikely for any company to not do it, but the option is there.

On the DDR5 module being dual channel, it is 2x32-bit channels, compared to DDR4 (and earlier?) being 1x64-bit channel. So peak transfers per clock remains same per module. It seems the whole industry has decided to refer to one DDR5 module as if it were a single channel, consistent with DDR4.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 12/17/2023 at 2:41 PM, starsmine said:

.... Steam deck is just a laptop without a keyboard. 
Do I need to explain why what you said is wild?

Its a linux PC, and you can install windows on it to, and dock it with a keyboard. its a portable all in one. 

My 12GB ram laptop with zen 3 hits pagefile DAILY. Its not even like Im running ram heavy tasks other then chrome on it

-snip-

16GB is the minimum today for new laptops, and in 2H 2024, if a new laptop is being sold with under 24GB, honestly, its taking the piss. I dont mean super expensive laptops, New ones except for zen 3 all use DDR5. The zen 2 laptops 8020 series uses DDR5. AKA 12GB per 64bit channel is reasonable and cheap. 

I've noticed Windows seems to start paging around 80%, so I tend to recommend RAM upgrades to anyone going over 80%

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 12/17/2023 at 3:16 PM, Techstorm970 said:

Historically gaming consoles have had less or similar memory than contemporary PCs, especially high-trim ones (remember we are talking about "Ultra" badges)