FCC approves plan to allow for paid priority on Internet

Rossco

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted in favor of advancing a proposal that would dramatically reshape the way consumers experience the Internet, opening the possibility of Internet service providers charging Web sites for higher-quality delivery of their content to American consumers.

The plan, approved in a three-to-two vote along party lines, could unleash a new economy on the Web where an Internet service provider such as Verizon would charge a Web site such as Netflix for the guarantee of flawless video streaming.

Smaller companies that can't afford to pay for faster delivery would likely face additional obstacles against bigger rivals. And consumers could see a trickle-down effect of higher prices as Web sites try to pass along new costs of doing business with Internet service providers.

The proposal is not a final rule, but the three-to-two vote on Thursday is a significant step forward on a controversial idea that has invited fierce opposition from consumer advocates, Silicon Valley heavyweights, and Democratic lawmakers.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/05/15/fcc-approves-plan-to-allow-for-paid-priority-on-internet/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

#fucknetneutrality

And it will all go downhill from here.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

this is totally ARSE, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

In other words, nothing to discuss. The next step is to wait for months to get the public opinion before the next round of voting takes place.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

here's more info about it: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/15/5717928/fcc-votes-on-net-neutrality-proposal-in-may-meeting also can OP remove formating from the post

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Oh... I am... just so much rage that the if i continue people would get hurt... maybe die... maybe some buildings would explode... ok maybe not that far...

i like how people that arnt even from the US in the forum are angry xD

Because once America starts doing it it'll filter down to every other country. It is a stupid bloody idea. The stupid thing is is that the major source of all internet bandwidth, youtube, will not be charged. Because no one wants to threaten Google. Google could destroy any line provider by simply offering Google Fiber in that area. So, it'll only affect those that an ISP thinks they can bully into doing it. It's underhanded and just plain thuggish. You may as well allow bailiffs to beat your children until you give them the money

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Seriously do you think that this is going to be a US-only problem? Just a matter of time before others follow up.

This is ridiculous. How can they be this ignorant about everyone that is against this. Did they not even read the letter all those company's sent them?

Because it is BULLSHIT

also if it happens in the US, other countries will follow 

for example the UK netflix went up £1 which is $1.68 extra a month

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Because we know that if the US gets it the rest of the world will follow. Our governments are all either really really stupid or are really really corrupt. There is no other reason.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Because once America starts doing it it'll filter down to every other country. It is a stupid bloody idea. The stupid thing is is that the major source of all internet bandwidth, youtube, will not be charged. Because no one wants to threaten Google. Google could destroy any line provider by simply offering Google Fiber in that area. So, it'll only affect those that an ISP thinks they can bully into doing it. It's underhanded and just plain thuggish. You may as well allow bailiffs to beat your children until you give them the money

"other" countries never had net neutrality to begin with - most of them throttle 

there are  a few on the net neutrality list right now

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

F**KING SHIT WE'RE ALL F****ED! I HATE THE US GOVERNMENT SOMETIMES. IT IS FILLED WITH F%#KING RETARDED OLD F*CKS THAT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HALF THE SHIT THEY PASS EVEN MEANS. AND THE ONES WHO DO KNOW ARE JUST BEING PAID OFF.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Well that's Tek Syndicate's agenda sorted for the next 6 months.

F**KING SHIT WE'RE ALL F****ED! I HATE THE US GOVERNMENT SOMETIMES. IT IS FILLED WITH F%#KING RETARDED OLD F*CKS THAT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HALF THE SHIT THEY PASS EVEN MEANS. AND THE ONES WHO DO KNOW ARE JUST BEING PAID OFF.

I couldn't have said it better myself

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

If this happens in the UK, i will boycott my ISP and campaign for others to do so. I wouldn't stand around and let them take away OUR free internet. A regulator such as the FCC (or Ofcom in the UK) is supposed to be there to protect the people, not the telecoms companies oversized profits.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Nothing has officially been approved.  People need to relax.  There are still a lot of questions being answered about what this means but what we do know is that for the next 4 months what was proposed today, FYI reclassifying them as public utilities was an option, will be used to weigh public opinion.  

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Well that's Tek Syndicate's agenda sorted for the next 6 months.

next 2 months..........cause that's how long we have to give opinion on their decision 

Money > logic it seems.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac