FCC approves plan to allow for paid priority on Internet

Rossco

i like how people that arnt even from the US in the forum are angry xD

Too right. This sets a terrible precident for other countries to follow.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Hi

i'm from Hungary

I has: www.speedtest.net/my-result/3503308513 for around 15 bucks. 4% of my monthly income. Half the price in comparison with UPC and T-home. If i have to pay more, i will jump! i promisse!

:D

dayum.. thats amazing 

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

☻/
                     /▌  
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   -     --     ---    [FCC]
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂               
Il███████████████████].          
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..  
=============================
This is bob. Bob and his tank hate the new FCC proposal.
Copy and paste him all over the internet if you agree.

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

In other news, many people seem to be emigrating from the USA to European countries...

there was that story about 2Gb/s internet in japan....

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

pack your bags

He who dies with the most tools wins.

The FCC and politicians rely on corporate donations too much to care about the average person out there. These ISP's want to use Title II so they can use easements to install their infrastructure then turn around and act like they're exempt from Title II restrictions.

Republican or Democrat...they're all up for sale and looking to get a cushy job afterwards. The only time they act like they care about the average people out there is during elections then once they get in office it's 'game on' to help their donors and out comes the 'real' person you voted for.

I'm a pro business and limited gov type of guy but what these companies have done is a breach of contract, should be illegal, and they should be forced to follow Title II on any lines they used Title II to install cables. They basically hijacked the legitimate system in place to install infrastructure that they're now claiming isn't Title II. If they wanted a system like they're arguing for they should have paid for it instead of taking advantage of the 'utility' infrastructure. The utility infrastructure isn't there for private companies to rape and use however they want.

And the US is different than many other places because of geography. These ISP's have been given areas of the US to operate in and don't really face any completion. Most people have one broadband option and that's it. In fact Comcast said buying TWC is ok because they don't directly compete. This unique monopoly system should not be abused because if we opened up completion nationwide and did away with the monopolies there's not even a way to pay for all the redundant infrastructure that would be required. It's pretty dumb to have 4-5 ISP's cables running to every house. It's just not economically sensible to wire the entire US like that. Given those facts, the ISP's have to be held to a different standard because most consumers don't have a choice for high speed broadband. The company you pay is decided on what part of the country you live in and little else.

Last, anyone claiming not enforcing basic restrictions will keep the internet 'as is' has no idea how many dollar signs these companies see when they're looking at tiered internet. Just transplant the cable model to the internet and there you go. Instead of paying for a flat speed rating we'll be paying for websites (channels) and things like Netflix or YouTube will be premium extras. Just look at the Xbox Gold. You have to pay MS just to access content you're already paying. There are already models in place to support paying a middle man based on content. There are already models in place for paying for specific content. Not to mention these guys are losing subscribers for cable (cord cutters). If you're not going to pay them for content directly they're going to do everything they can to make as much money as they can on the content you're getting over the internet. The most important fact here is that we've already gotten proof that the ISP's are throttling certain data and they intend to profit off it. If they get a real ok to keep this up then the floodgates are going to open up to charging websites for reliable connections. Netflix is just the start and they damn well know what traffic is going through their lines. Start with the top few to get the precedent set then start going down from there.

i like how people that arnt even from the US in the forum are angry xD

if it can happen one place, it might happen here as well...

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

If I'm not mistaken, those speeds are only for national traffic, not international traffic. I.e., good for connecting to Japanese websites and servers, not that good for international websites and servers.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't.