ASUS "Connector less" GPUs, which deliver power via a special motherboard slot are going into production THIS FALL.

Uttamattamakin

Nevermind power cable issues, give me wireless signals from the video card to the monitors, so I can do away with unsightly video cables.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

not sure if its actually improvement considering mobo cost already gone up and possibly more potential for these expensive mobos to fry

It gone up is due to new platforms and stuff nothing to do with this, these are initial non standardized parts. It's not mass scale for production even. The so called more potential to fry though, really it could be the other way around. Less points where electricity goes, less flimsy joints but proper solid robust connection.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It gone up is due to new platforms and stuff nothing to do with this, these are initial non standardized parts. It's not mass scale for production even. The so called more potential to fry though, really it could be the other way around. Less points where electricity goes, less flimsy joints but proper solid robust connection.

Yeah, it certainly seems like a cleaner way to do it. There is just the usual pain point of trying to switch standards and make it the new normal across the board.

48 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

asus produces alot of mobos

and spotty said if perfect

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

How is this supposed to solve that when the same connector is still used? 

How do you think you get power from the power supply to the motherboard?

It uses a 12vhpwr connector on the back of the motherboard. Because this has nothing to do with removing power cables. It's about hiding them. 

ASUS-GeForce-RTX-4070-Connector-Less-GPU-600W-Design-_6-g-standard-scale-4_00x-Custom-1456x837.png

22 minutes ago, pas008 said:

If the connectors are placed close to the slot itself, if not directly underneath, the additional cost may be negligible anyway. 

I still think 24v would be the way forward though, as fewer traces would be required, and would accommodate much higher powered video cards without having to modify form factor.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I like that things are at least moving forward to improve. We just need a standard though. Removing cables like this is good. Need good connectors on mobo and PS that for sure. Really it would be possible to just have one big connector from PS to mobo though.

I'd like that general direction of things and that seems to be where computer design and build are heading.   Less cables and wires, more slots, soldered on, and fully integrated parts.  It only makes sense that power delivery would join in on the fun.  Just a big fat connector to the motherboard, then all the power comes off of it, one way or the other.  Like Spotty said it will be about cable management... I think the melting cable issue gave this evolutionary process a kick in the pants.   It would not happen quite so soon without it. 

Especially if this solves the problem, and makes assembly easier for OEM, SI, and DIY. 

12 hours ago, SorryBella said:

real 927 vibe. I hate JEDEC, USBIF, PCI-SIG and other computer organizing alliances but they have been what stopping us from the issue of independent standards in other industry, lack of inter compatibility built in.

Standards

I get hating PCI-SIG and USBIF, but what did JEDEC do? Imagine the nightmare world if they didn't exist. They are also fairly hands off as long as a standard exists for multiple technologies and can operate at said standard. You can deviate significantly from there however you see fit.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

11 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I can't wait to buy poprietary hardware that will likely be more expensive than the standard alternative and lock me into the Asus ecosystem just to get rid of 1-2 cables. 🙃

Connector may be proprietary, but the special connector is optional, an extra feature. Don't want to use it, then just grab any card of your choice, even their own Asus card that don't have the special connector, and power the card the normal way, directly from the PSU.

Now if you do buy one of those Asus special cards, then yes you will be tied to their ecosystem as the only way to power the card is with these special boards.

Can get the board, just don't grab their cards with that special connector.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

No, I didn't mean to use same design at all. Not that connector. Those are just early ones to show new approach, it's not even mass produces or standardized. I was talking about that once better connection for large amount of power is made and also standardized that it would be good.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I'd like that general direction of things and that seems to be where computer design and build are heading.   Less cables and wires, more slots, soldered on, and fully integrated parts.  It only makes sense that power delivery would join in on the fun.  Just a big fat connector to the motherboard, then all the power comes off of it, one way or the other.  Like Spotty said it will be about cable management... I think the melting cable issue gave this evolutionary process a kick in the pants.   It would not happen quite so soon without it. 

Especially if this solves the problem, and makes assembly easier for OEM, SI, and DIY. 

Yeah, we don't really need so many different cables everywhere anymore. When we can just have one full on power cable to the board. Just needs to be a well made connector that is robust and basically fail safe though. But good it's slowly starting to shift, even if it's first for cable management at the back of the board and some graphics cards having dedicated power PCB lip. It's pushing forward, again just needs good standardization in the end.

6 hours ago, MageTank said:

but what did JEDEC do? Imagine the nightmare world if they didn't exist.

Im throwing examples in plainly, and to me personally i dont like their overly conservative standard speed, even though i know for a fact that it is to not accidentally gatekeep a lot of the less experienced players in the industry.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Oh no...

Proprietary BS is bad.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Nevermind power cable issues, give me wireless signals from the video card to the monitors, so I can do away with unsightly video cables.

No. No more wireless crap in the PC. Wireless stuff does not belong in the computer. It belongs in the monitor which is usually at the height of the user and has better line of sight.

Here's a free idea OEM's: Standard USB-C Displayport alt-mode + 2 USB ports for KB+Mouse + 1 USB 3.1 port at the top of the monitor with a standard mono/tri-pod quick-release. A more advanced version of this would be, one at the top, two at the left, two at the right, and two underneath. Stick your USB keys and Bluetooth/proprietary dongles on these so you don't have to reach around the computer. 

Wireless is about convenience, it's always a poor experience relative to the zero-latency and zero interference of the wired connection. 

Like the failure state of Wireless tech tends to be "nothing works" where as the failure state of wired connections is "replace cable, check power"

Imagine being unable to get your computer screen to work because the GPU has lost the pairing keys. How the hell do you fix it now?

17 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I can't wait to buy poprietary hardware that will likely be more expensive than the standard alternative and lock me into the Asus ecosystem just to get rid of 1-2 cables. 🙃

building power rales within the mainboard that can take 500W will increase the board cost a lot more than some cables does not matter if its poprietary or not this will cost $$$$ 

7 minutes ago, Kisai said:

snip

A bit OT but I do agree with this sentiment.  Due to the need for security, encryption, etc etc wireless will always be more trouble than wired for a computer which is stationary.   

That said I did see a wireless docking station technology that was a thing in or around 2020ish.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1445273-REG/hp_f7m97aa_aba_advanced_wireless_docking_station.html?ap=y&smp=y&msclkid=1114d18a86b91b01b712b535a0de97c2  Basically a avante guarde way for a professional to dock without any bother in their office then pick up and go around a corpo campus  to meet or work here or there.  

Then there will always be a superior wired tech.  In this case Thunderbolt  gives you all of what that tech offers plus power.  Everything except charging.  

I know it was a joke when Leadeater said it but ... if wireless power really worked, perhaps beamed around via microwaves or something that would be cool, sci fi tech.  Maybe when we finally build that Dyson Sphere.   Maybe by then PCI Sig et al will fully admit and take responsibility for the boondoggle that these connectors have caused.  (I've always wanted to use that word IRL with full context and justification).

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, williamcll said:

I'm aware it existed, I wish it'd come back

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 2 weeks later...

This just needs to be standardized 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface