Apple's new MacBook Pro with M2 Max packs up to 96GB of RAM (also: Mac mini M2)

Commodus

Apple has introduced its long, long-expected 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro refresh with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. They're faster and last longer on battery, but they also support more memory. The M2 Max models support up to 96GB of RAM — that's more than rivals (64GB is often the limit), and Apple even claims its MBPs can handle creative scenes that are too large for Windows portables. You also get Wi-Fi 6e, HDMI 2.1 (8K support!) and a few other niceties at the same price as before.

There's also a huge Mac mini update. Not just the M2, there's finally an M2 Pro model. Better monitor support (up to three screens) and four Thunderbolt ports, too. The base M2 system is also cheaper than before at $599, although it still starts with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD.  

With up to 96GB of unified memory in the M2 Max model, creators can work on scenes so large that PC laptops can’t even run them.

Apple is being hyperbolic, I'm sure, but the 96GB of RAM is a huge deal if you're working with very large media/3D/data projects. And this is simply a welcome update that should help the MBP stay competitive with the latest Windows laptops in terms of raw performance.

The Mac mini update might be the real game changer. The lower price makes it a better "my first Mac" system, but the M2 Pro version is huge if you've wanted a fast headless Mac desktop without splurging on the Mac Studio. Might even be my next computer.

Source: Apple

Summary

In a press release involving a 9-minute YouTube video that’s practically the same thing as in an event, Apple has announced refreshed MacBook Pros and Mac mini, the latter of which has also received the M2 Pro treatment. Apple claims that the M2 Pro has double the amount of transistors the M2 shipped with and nearly 20 percent more than the M1 Pro and that “is able to process images in Adobe Photoshop up to 40 percent faster than with M1 Pro, and as much as 80 percent faster than MacBook Pro with an Intel Core i9 processor.” The M2 Max chip has the same 12-core CPU as the M2 Pro, but much like the M1 Max, it really pushes the GPU power more. Apple claims the M2 Max is up to 30 percent faster than the M1 Max in graphics and can apparently “tackle graphics-intensive projects that competing systems can’t even run.”

Edit: Forgot the Prices

The new 14-inch MacBook Pro with M2 Pro starts at $1,999, with the 16-inch model starting at $2,499. Both are available to order online today and will start shipping and appearing in Apple stores on January 24th.

The Mac mini has a lower starting price of $599, and is available to order today, with availability beginning Tuesday, January 24th.

Quotes

• Macbook Pros:

Chips aside, the latest MacBook Pro models now include Wi-Fi 6E3 and a “more advanced HDMI” (probably HDMI 2.1) that supports 8K displays up to 60Hz and 4K displays up to 240Hz.

image.thumb.png.b55c997582d2d1d56fa5a2a6dbf7d607.png

• Mac Mini: 

The Mac Mini is Apple’s next computer to get the bump up to the M2 chip — and this time around, it’s being offered with the Pro version of Apple’s processor, too. The new model was announced this morning in a press release, with a starting price of $599, and is available to order today, with availability beginning Tuesday, January 24th.

The Mac Mini’s baseline configuration includes the M2 chip, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of storage. It features an HDMI port, gigabit ethernet, and a standard headphone jack, alongside two USB-A ports and two Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) ports on the rear of the device — an upgrade from the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the previous generation.

The standard M2 Mac Mini can support up to two displays (one display of up to 6K / 60Hz over a Thunderbolt connection and a second display of up to 5K / 60Hz over Thunderbolt or a 4K / 60Hz over HDMI), while the M2 Pro variant can support either three displays (two displays up to 6K / 60Hz over Thunderbolt, and one 4K / 60Hz display over HDMI) or a single 8K display, making it the first Mac Mini to do so.

For wireless connectivity, both versions of the new Mac Mini support Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3.

My thoughts

This just appears to be a minor spec bump, with the performance improvements that seems rather vague. But aside from that I'm glad that the Mac mini is getting some love here with a version that houses an M2 Pro chip, so one doesn't have to opt for the more expensive Studio to get a little bit more performance from a Desktop machine. That being said, we're gonna have to wait for independent reviews before we can see how much faster the M2 actually is.

Oh and it appears they dropped the base price on the Mini

Sources

The Verge: One Two

Apple

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I never thought I would see laptops shipping with more than 32gb of memory ever. 

I wonder why they decided to do 96 and who they expect to need that (and buy a mac to do their thing)

That Mac Mini looks tempting...

And it makes the inevitable price cuts on the M1 look even more tempting!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

40 minutes ago, nOm nom NOM3 said:

I never thought I would see laptops shipping with more than 32gb of memory ever. 

I wonder why they decided to do 96 and who they expect to need that (and buy a mac to do their thing)

6 channel memory, 16 per channel. Just a natural result of the chip architecture 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

42 minutes ago, nOm nom NOM3 said:

There have been laptops with 64GB of RAM for a while, but anything beyond that has been tricky.

As for the audience, it's larger than you think. Audiovisual editors (music, photos, video) love RAM, especially if they're working with very high-res formats like 8K video and RAW images. It's practically essential for working with 3D models. And if you're crunching a lot of data, such as for an AI project, more memory helps.

I understand why having a lot of memory is good for certain tasks, Im just stuck on the apple macbook needing that much memory. 

all I ever see those products used for are writing papers and general photo/video editing, and I thought that the applications made for those people were fairly light and well made. 

Maybe I just dont see the people who were asking for this in the day to day repairs world

1 minute ago, nOm nom NOM3 said:

I understand why having a lot of memory is good for certain tasks, Im just stuck on the apple macbook needing that much memory. 

all I ever see those products used for are writing papers and general photo/video editing, and I thought that the applications made for those people were fairly light and well made. 

Maybe I just dont see the people who were asking for this in the day to day repairs world

Macs are very common in the pro creative world. They thrive on software like Adobe's Creative Suite (think Photoshop/Premiere/Lightroom), Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve, audio workstations like Ableton, Logic Pro and Reason... you get the idea. Go to a recording studio or TV production house and you'll probably see at least some Macs.

Unless you work at an Apple store, you're unlikely to see those people coming in for repairs. Many company-owned Macs will also be serviced either by the IT department or an AppleCare business plan.

16 minutes ago, nOm nom NOM3 said:

They are meant for the same kind of people who bought Precision portable workstations, Z books or the lenovo equivalent. They're not that common, but they do exist.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

They should have kept the Mini at $699 and gave the base model 16GB of RAM.

I'm very disappointed that Apple continues to sell 8GB RAM computers in 2023.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That plenty for most people who only browse social media, email and youtube

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Feeling pretty eh on this one.

Been using my M1 Max 16" since November, and I still haven't got anything significant to complain about it. 96GB of RAM is nice to have but as someone who predominantly uses their MacBook Pro for photography, that's very overkill (though I understand that there are workloads that absolutely benefit from the RAM).

Everything else is pretty eh. This is absolutely a release designed to get holdouts still on Intel MacBook Pros to upgrade. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

31 minutes ago, igormp said:

That plenty for most people

Using what exactly?

For Chrome or Firefox that's not enough RAM and for any other program besides Apple Mail and Safari it's also not enough RAM.

31 minutes ago, igormp said:

who only browse social media, email and youtube

And I'm sure a VW Golf with a speed governor permanently locked to 30mph is all that most people will ever need out of a car but there's a reason car manufacturers don't permanently lock their cars to 30mph.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

For Chrome or Firefox that's not enough RAM and for any other program besides Apple Mail and Safari it's also not enough RAM.

I don't know, I'm able to run Logic Pro with multiple tracks of some pretty resource intensive orchestral plugins (Not too heavy mind you), and/or MuseScore 4 with MuseSounds with the entire 60-piece Orchestra plus a couple synths, extra woodwinds and Choirs on the base model 2021 MBA.

I mean, unless you're keeping multiple baker's dozens of tabs open in the background, it realistically doesn't get beyond 2-3 GB. I'm saying this from experience with a 4GB, HDD Core 2 Duo device in 2021, and an 8GB MBA and Dell optiplex beyond that. ftr, I use FF, Edge and Safari. I will admit I don't have more than say 5 tabs opens usually, unless I'm doing a research project or something but even then it handled the 20 or so tabs quite well. You're seriously underestimating the capacity of these Browsers including Chrome to conserver resources.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

They should have kept the Mini at $699 and gave the base model 16GB of RAM.

I wanna add that adjusted for inflation 699$ dollars from November 2020 are like 800$ in 2023 dollars.

So at 599$ Apple has slashed the price by 200$ if adjusted for inflation. Pretty good deal for all the people that don’t need more than 8GB+swap, and institutions buying thousands of these in bulk. No need to force 16GB onto everyone, yet.  (12GB as the new base tier in the M3 generation would be nice tho)

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

Apple is being hyperbolic, I'm sure, but the 96GB of RAM is a huge deal if you're working with very large media/3D/data projects. 

I think the biggest deal is that this is shared memory.

So if you’re currently using 16GB as RAM, you’d still have 80GB available as VRAM for the GPU. That’s bananas. No PC mobile workstation can match that. 

41 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Except it is? Most commonly sold configs are 8gb ones, be it apple or not.

It may not be enough for you, but don't assume everyone's use case is like yours.

41 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

And I'm sure a VW Golf with a speed governor permanently locked to 30mph is all that most people will ever need out of a car but there's a reason car manufacturers don't permanently lock their cars to 30mph.

That comparison doesn't make sense, but if you want to go in the same vein, I see no reason why most people would buy a bugatti to commute to work.

35 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I wonder if people who actually need more than 64gb of RAM don't always buy desktops.

I know some people who work offshore oil rigs and require such portable workstations, but yeah, I guess most people like that would go for a desktop indeed, but there's still a market for such niche anyway.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

27 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

wanna add that adjusted for inflation 699$ dollars from November 2020 are like 800$ in 2023 dollars.

and a 3000€ salary in 2020 adjusted for inflation is 3000€ in 2023.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The Mini hits almost all the checkboxes I'd want.

Only needs:

[ ] AV1 hardware encoder

[ ] 32GB ram standard

When someone does a teardown I'd be interesting in knowing if the memory or storage are soldered or proprietary again.

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

When someone does a teardown I'd be interesting in knowing if the memory or storage are soldered or proprietary again.

RAM is likely soldered, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get all of that bandwidth in a dense package. CAMM isn't really a standard as of today, sadly.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

My number one checkbox to wait 2 years for the M2 Mini was getting HDMI 2.1 to connect it at 4K 120Hz to my 77” LG oled tv. 

Fortunately I was not disappointed. 

Wait, I just notice, are they using those new 48Gbit ddr5 modules? I thought those weren't available yet.

I hope those become available in ddr4 dimm version too, but that's a wishful thinking lol

Lenovo N23 Yoga