Noctua Unveils NA-TPG1: A Thermal Paste Guard for AMD AM5

CommanderAlex

noctua.png.d411362dbfce5a8b3bfe2b1f19976a80.png

Summary

Noctua has unveiled a thermal paste guard to prevent excess thermal paste squeezed out from getting in between the notches of the IHS on AMD's new socket AM5 CPUs. This is simply a molded plastic cover that sits on top of the retention bracket that reduces the chance of thermal paste from seeping down the IHS between the notches where it can get messy. Will be available as a separate set and Noctua's NT-H1 and NT-H2 3.5g thermal pastes. The kit comes with 10 of Noctua's cleaning wipes. 

Quotes

Vienna, October 6th 2022 – Noctua today announced its new NA-TPG1 thermal paste guard for AMD’s latest AM5 based Ryzen processors. When the mounting pressure of the cooling solution is applied, excess thermal paste will be squeezed outwards. With AM5 CPUs, this excess paste tends to accumulate in the cut-outs at the sides of the heat-spreader and may become difficult to remove. Simple and risk-free to apply, the NA-TPG1 prevents this undesired phenomenon.

“While there’s no denying that AMD’s new Ryzen 7000 processors perform fantastic, we found that the cut-outs at the side of the heat-spreader tend to attract thermal paste that can be challenging to clean off” says Roland Mossig (Noctua CEO). “This is where our new thermal paste guard steps in: it’s a simple yet highly effective tool for keeping your new Ryzen 7000 series CPU nice and clean.”

Prices start at 7.90 EUR/USD for the NA-TPG1 kit with 10x NA-CW1 cleaning wipes. 

The NT-H1 3.5g and NT-H2 3.5g has a separate model, NT-H1 3.5g AM5 Edition and NT-H2 3.5g AM5 Edition respectively, start at 9.90 EUR/USD for the NT-H1 kit and 13.90 EUR/USD for the NT-H2 kit.

My thoughts

Interesting to see Noctua reveal such a product considering Intel's HEDT has similar notches (no SMDs, so maybe they want to prevent the paste from getting in between them?), albeit bigger IHS and didn't have to have a guard in place for their products. I just don't think it's necessary and seems gimmicky for a product like this to come from Noctua. 

For those that apply a lot of thermal paste, here's a product for you! 

Sources

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-presents-na-tpg1-thermal-paste-guard-for-amd-am5

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

You know, all they needed to do is sell thermal paste with just enough to do 1 CPU, so as you use the whole tube, assuming you put it at the center, it won't spill out, as you can't put more than what is given. Much simpler.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You know, all they needed to do is sell thermal paste with just enough to do 1 CPU, so as you use the whole tube, assuming you put it at the center, it won't spill out, as you can't put more than what is given. Much simpler.

Lets hope you don't make a mistake, also plenty of waste, especially if you use a syringe. 

This seems pointless to me.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

10 hours ago, Fasterthannothing said:

This is absurd that AMD built a product that is designed in such a way to even have a market for this 

There really isn't a market for this. Most people apply thermal paste to the CPU once. And even if there is squeeze-out it doesn't do anything at all. This product is for tech reviewers and people who have some sort of OCD. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

Oh it is, lol. I've repasted a ton of times on these AM5 processors and have never had trouble with paste getting in these grooves, and I am known in our lab as the "guy that went to MSI's school of thermal paste application". By that, they mean this:

At worst, there is a small overhang near the grooves that can be easily wiped away, but the SMDs almost never get touched with paste, even with excessive amounts used. This is definitely solving a problem nobody has.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

This is one of the most gimmickest gimmick I've seen in years 

With all that being said (and I completely agree with you guys), I really wonder what their "Next Generation NH-D15" is going to be after being delayed numerous quarters and for this "thermal paste guard" to take precedent to be launched before the new NH-D15 does. What?? Another heatpipe??? Maybe industrialPPC NF-A15 140mm fans instead?? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

inb4 people forget to remove it before installing the cooler

13 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Prices start at 7.90 EUR/USD for the NA-TPG1 kit with 10x NA-CW1 cleaning wipes. 

They should just include this as a bonus with their thermal paste tubes, that way it would still be pretty pointless but kinda nice to have... whereas this way it just seems like a scam.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

But then if you have to reapply it for some reason you need another tube, not ideal.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah I can see it more usable for reviewers. I'd maybe use it just for giggles but to get it yeah it's pricey for what it is.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 minutes ago, Sauron said:

inb4 people forget to remove it before installing the cooler

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to leave it on under the cooler. That's kinda the point, no?

It's still stupid though.

13 hours ago, starsmine said:

I dont think anyone needs it unless using electrically conductive thermal paste.

And even then, it still has gaps, so it's not a perfect solution. If electrical conductivity became an issue, just shoot some silicone in those gaps (sans guard) and call it a day.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

14 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah I can see it more usable for reviewers. I'd maybe use it just for giggles but to get it yeah it's pricey for what it is.

Yeah I agree with that, if constantly swapping paste, then it might be useful

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, Kid.Lazer said:

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to leave it on under the cooler. That's kinda the point, no?

Maybe? I thought it was meant to prevent spills from you accidentally squeezing too hard

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

22 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Maybe? I thought it was meant to prevent spills from you accidentally squeezing too hard

The intended usage is to leave it there to catch any over-spill when the cooler squeezes the paste out the sides. If you look closely at the picture, it sits on the retention bracket, but it is still lower than the IHS, so it shouldn't cause any interference.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

With all that being said (and I completely agree with you guys), I really wonder what their "Next Generation NH-D15" is going to be after being delayed numerous quarters and for this "thermal paste guard" to take precedent to be launched before the new NH-D15 does. What?? Another heatpipe??? Maybe industrialPPC NF-A15 140mm fans instead?? 

I believe their next gen 140 mm fans are supposed to be released before the new NH-D15 successor.

3 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

I believe their next gen 140 mm fans are supposed to be released before the new NH-D15 successor.

Correct, but the 140mm fans on the NH-D15 use 120mm mounting holes for the clips to hold onto the heatsinks.

Seems Thermal Grizzly is making one too ?

Which from the looks and sounds of it, a bit more solidly built & useful ?

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/565-amd-ryzen-7000-cpu-guard-en

188127416_Screenshot2022-10-11at00-41-34ThermalGrizzlyHighPerformanceCoolingSolutions-AMDRyzen7000CPUGuard.thumb.png.441b74e344ee04f6575ece438e8bec25.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

8 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Seems Thermal Grizzly is making one too ?

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/565-amd-ryzen-7000-cpu-guard-en

188127416_Screenshot2022-10-11at00-41-34ThermalGrizzlyHighPerformanceCoolingSolutions-AMDRyzen7000CPUGuard.thumb.png.441b74e344ee04f6575ece438e8bec25.png

He showed the prototype of this off in his delid video (I think it was in that one), and the way he talked out it there he put a lot of emphasis on it being insulation for sub-zero cooling and then like the ad here says for liquid metal applications. Both of which make more sense than this Noctua one.

1 minute ago, Dr_Whom said:

He showed the prototype of this off in his delid video (I think it was in that one), and the way he talked out it there he put a lot of emphasis on it being insulation for sub-zero cooling and then like the ad here says for liquid metal applications. Both of which make more sense than this Noctua one.

Well, I'm not a liquid metal nor a sub-zero player, but from how it looks in the video after he installs it, it seems to have less gap than the Noctua one atleast.
Whether or not it might become a heat trapper though..... no idea.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

17 hours ago, Fasterthannothing said:

This is absurd that AMD built a product that is designed in such a way to even have a market for this 

I really think they borked up the AM5 socket design just in general besides just this. The thicker IHS to maintain z-axis compatibility with AM4 coolers just ironically made the chips hotter too.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

If AM5 isn't great, then long socket life and time until we get the issues resolved, isn't such a good thing is it?

8 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

I really think they borked up the AM5 socket design just in general besides just this. The thicker IHS to maintain z-axis compatibility with AM4 coolers just ironically made the chips hotter too.

That alone, was a pretty terrible solution and AMD should have just made them thinner and force changes be made to the cooler mounting hardware. Instead, we get a half-assed product as a result.

8 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

If AM5 isn't great, then long socket life and time until we get the issues resolved, isn't such a good thing is it?

I'm curious to know if there is going to be a AM5 revision that will slightly change the socket and make the IHS thinner.