Windows 11 - Update 22H2 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Just keep delaying it every so often

Hm, around the time I fought this update battle I'm fairly certain there was no "Pause for 7 days button", but thanks for the hint.

So if you did not press this button and it downloaded and installed an update that requires reboot, which happens quite frequently, can I still keep it from finishing the install with the respective reboot?

Because that's what drove me up the walls. There was an update pending and it notified me a reboot is required. No matter what I did, at some point it just rebooted. Usually at night when I put the computer into standby/sleep, it would randomly wake up, reboot and finish the install, only for me to be presented with a blank desktop the next morning. Well it tries to reopen all Microsoft apps which are exactly Excel for me, but that's about it.

So far looks solid improvements, many needed to be done and returned. Still more to improve. Really don't understand why half release some things like UI/UX related.

- Anyway, having login can definitely be neat for sure, but local account shouldn't be annoyance to setup from the get go.

- Finally reworked Task Manager oh and with a dark theme, good! Took them so long. Another thing, still older Properties and some old windows are not dark, come on.

- The graphics related improvements like better DRR, Windows HDR calibration and Windows gaming optimization for windowed mode are neat.

- The unified Media Player was about time, yet again still dragging very old stuff like Windows Media Player though.

Still overall looking to be a rather solid update, maybe what should've been from release, even with more improvements and finished things, but hey good at least.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

in windows 10, more updates with edge being used.

Anyways its about time microsoft had a more unified system and basic software, where more phones now a days have more software tools and basic needs than windows. At least some good change, hopefully not at a cost or would need an account for stuff. Also hope they don't do the direction the already tried with 11 and going on with 10.

On 9/18/2022 at 3:02 PM, GoodBytes said:
On 9/18/2022 at 1:55 PM, StDragon said:

The new EQ, is that just for the app, or system wide?

Just the app

Whhhhyyyyyy!??!? 

Why in the lords name can't they put a g d EQ in there? 

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Still overall looking to be a rather solid update, maybe what should've been from release, even with more improvements and finished things, but hey good at least.

Absolutely. 

I am just happy that Windows 10X got cancelled and are focusing now on Windows 11 (and its ARM64 version. I didn't mention it, but ARM64 version of this coming up release of Windows 11 comes with a lot of improvements performance wise. Anything that can help Windows on ARM, is most welcomed. I would love to see affordable ARM64 based laptops running Windows in the near future.) Microsoft was never very good at handling 2x OSs. Hence all their effort in merging everything back in Window 10 days. Windows 10X would have split things again.

I hope Microsoft will switch to this new update model that was leaked a while back, where basically they'll release new features as they are done and tested, and not in a version released 1 year later. Users should not have to wait a whole year for improvements, especially important ones. Like the Task bar drag and drop, that was implemented a month or so after Windows 11 was released... people had to wait alllll this time to finally get it! The downside is that it would mark the possible end of GoodBytes writes up 🙂

From a dev perspective, I am impressed with Windows 11 release. All came together in 1 year of development. I expected a total disaster, but nope! It went pretty well. Not perfect! Of course. But pretty well nonetheless. But from a user perspective, yea, it looked incomplete. Too many user facing elements have not been updated.

41 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Absolutely. 

I am just happy that Windows 10X got cancelled and are focusing now on Windows 11 (and its ARM64 version. I didn't mention it, but ARM64 version of this coming up release of Windows 11 comes with a lot of improvements performance wise. Anything that can help Windows on ARM, is most welcomed. I would love to see affordable ARM64 based laptops running Windows in the near future.) Microsoft was never very good at handling 2x OSs. Hence all their effort in merging everything back in Window 10 days. Windows 10X would have split things again.

I hope Microsoft will switch to this new update model that was leaked a while back, where basically they'll release new features as they are done and tested, and not in a version released 1 year later. Users should not have to wait a whole year for improvements, especially important ones. Like the Task bar drag and drop, that was implemented a month or so after Windows 11 was released... people had to wait alllll this time to finally get it! The downside is that it would mark the possible end of GoodBytes writes up 🙂

From a dev perspective, I am impressed with Windows 11 release. All came together in 1 year of development. I expected a total disaster, but nope! It went pretty well. Not perfect! Of course. But pretty well nonetheless. But from a user perspective, yea, it looked incomplete. Too many user facing elements have not been updated.

Yes one OS for sure. As far as ARM laptop, many we need a proper performing core though, akin to Apple M series. We'll see, Nuvia is to bring something quite new and actually good and competitive.

I agree that that would be a better update model for sure, always felt so bad releasing something new after a while and it's so far from working properly etc. and then takes long to get update for it. Worse way to introduce new and kill it in a way passively. Definitely need to do improvements like such on more regular basis, fixes and all. Was thinking maybe on a yearly cycle, but yeah it's a desktop OS and they probably couldn't do it properly like mobile OS per say. So like doing yearly larger feature update, properly baked, and between do improvement updates.

But yeah, even way back I maybe thought they'll go with "final windows" and just do updates, maybe even make it free, at least consumer side. But it seems doing the old longer years new version thing is better business wise for them. As well as keeping 32bit living.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Windows 11 22H2 is now officially released!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Official announcement page:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2022/09/20/available-today-the-windows-11-2022-update/

It also teases what is coming up in a future update.... in... October!

• File Explorer Tab
  • Task bar overflow
  • Photos app
  • Suggested Actions on Copy (example: you copy a phone number, and it will show an option to make a call with a registered app, like Teams)

(These features are already in the Insider builds of Windows 11)

Glad to see that the public won't need to wait a year for them.

Windows Subsystem for Android is now available to more regions:

• Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • France
  • Germany
  • Gibraltar
  • Guernsey
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Jersey
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Monaco
  • San Marino
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Vatican City / Holy See

Ok how do i install this on my Windows 11 machine without clean install? its not available on windows update as i see now.

Use the installation assistant linked above if you want to force install straight away.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Suggested Actions on Copy (example: you copy a phone number, and it will show an option to make a call with a registered app, like Teams)

Is this going to respect your default app settings or is it just Microsoft integrating more ads for its products and services in to the OS? 

Copy file > suggested action: "OneDrive cloud storage"

Copy text > suggested action: "Subscribe to office 365"

Copy question > suggested action: "Search with Bing"

Copy link > suggested action: "open with Edge"

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

47 minutes ago, Marko1600 said:

Meanwhile ARM waiting for support: 

As mentioned, I don't cover ARM64 due to the lack of interest from the forum, but they have been performance improvements introduced.

2 hours ago, yian88 said:

Ok how do i install this on my Windows 11 machine without clean install? its not available on windows update as i see now.

should be able to download it from here and do an upgrade. https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11 

Just get the installation assistant. 

As always do be sure to have backups before installing this, especially new updates like this.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Thank you for the thorough post with screenshots, gifs and everything.

Unfortunately for me, 90% of the features or improvements in Windows 11 so far are related to content I'd rather have deleted from my OS.

Maybe one day we can have a more modular Windows OS where you can choose to leave most of the crap you don't need out of your installation and enjoy a not so ram GBs + cpu cycles + drive I/O hungry OS staying out of your way. 

Until then, well, that's what we've got to work with...or Windows 10 while it lasts (not that it's that much better)...or some Linux distro if we have the time to deal with it and don't care too much about app/games compatibility.

Maybe MacOS would've been the answer if Apple Silicon was more mature and native app support was wider (also not a whole lot of games for that platform as well)...

20 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

HDR Calibration Tool is out:
https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/windows-hdr-calibration/9N7F2SM5D1LR

Note:

• HDR monitor is required with a compatible graphics card (of course)
  • HDR needs to be enabled
  • You need this new release of Windows 11.

Is there anyway to see what exactly the calibration app does after you set it up?

Is it an ICC-profile, or something different entirely?

If it's just an ICC profile then this is practically useless, as most apps - especially games - don't support it.

However, if this actually IS a system-wide working thing, then it's going to be a game changer in terms of HDR support and (imo) the biggest reason to upgrade to W11 since it's release.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Is there anyway to see what exactly the calibration app does after you set it up?

Is it an ICC-profile, or something different entirely?

If it's just an ICC profile then this is practically useless, as most apps - especially games - don't support it.

However, if this actually IS a system-wide working thing, then it's going to be a game changer in terms of HDR support and (imo) the biggest reason to upgrade to W11 since it's release.

I don't know. While I do have 2x HDR capable monitors, they are connected to a GeForce 680, which can't do HDR.

I have to connect my monitors to my Intel integrated graphics for that. I don't have time to play around at the moment. Maybe later.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:11 AM, GoodBytes said:

As for the whole “Microsoft does this to spy on you”, that is all nonsense. Discussed for hours long, ultimately, Windows is an OS, it has access to everything and anything already

... but I don't let an OS do so without my consent.

The beauty of operating systems is that, if I don't consent it to spy on me, I can just block all of that spying, make local account, setting up settings, blocking access, any means necessary. That's it. The operating systems, at the end of the day, are controlled by the end users, be it admins or parents and etc. Microsoft isn't changing this paradigm anytime. (I mean, even if the opposite is the case, they cannot change my decision to migrate to Linux in the forseeable future.)

Even still, I like to see some WSA improvements being added down the line. WSA's still a better emulator than BlueStacks and it will get better over time.

31 minutes ago, Herrscher of Whatever said:

... but I don't let an OS do so without my consent.

The beauty of operating systems is that, if I don't consent it to spy on me, I can just block all of that spying, make local account, setting up settings, blocking access, any means necessary. That's it. The operating systems, at the end of the day, are controlled by the end users, be it admins or parents and etc. Microsoft isn't changing this paradigm anytime. (I mean, even if the opposite is the case, they cannot change my decision to migrate to Linux in the forseeable future.)

The privacy policy is essentially the same for local or microsoft linked account in regard to privacy, in regards of the OS itself.

I don't know what you are blocking, but there is no spying in the OS.

You should read the privacy policy carefully.

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

(Go down to Windows. No lawyers needed to understand)

Most articles online didn't read the privacy policy, and were click bait articles. Mixing things, like OneDrive with Windows.

If Windows was actually spying, then no business would use Windows. Company IP protection would be at play, this is the survival of any company, and any potential threat is a no go.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The privacy policy is essentially the same for local or microsoft linked account in regard to privacy, in regards of the OS itself.

I don't know what you are blocking, but there is no spying in the OS.

You should read the privacy policy carefully.

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

(Go down to Windows. No lawyers needed to understand)

Most articles online didn't read the privacy policy, and were click bait articles. Mixing things, like OneDrive with Windows.

If Windows was actually spying, then no business would use Windows. Company IP protection would be at play, this is the survival of any company, and any potential threat is a no go.

I did read the privacy policy.

They do share data "when required by law or to respond to legal process".

This is possibily a concern when the data of many people, millions of people, somehow will be used by any state agency or any governmental body. That is what many people are concerned about.

It is a ridiculous hypothetical, sure, but one that can happen, at any time.

Call me paranoid but this is spying.

I didn't notice how out of place the volume and brightness slider was on Windows 11. Now when can Control Panel and other Windows components like the Run menu finally be made to look to be part of the OS especially in Dark Mode. Can't believe they've had so many years after it was released with Windows 10 to work on this and it's still not 100% there yet. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

42 minutes ago, Herrscher of Whatever said:

I did read the privacy policy.

They do share data "when required by law or to respond to legal process".

That is correct. Don't use OneDrive or Edge. Use a web browser that doesn't track your data in any form.

Please note that, if your system is taken by law enforcer and given to Microsoft hands, say, you encrypted data, then Microsoft will work on decrypting that data at law officer request, local account or not.

This is possibily a concern when the data of many people, millions of people, somehow will be used by any state agency or any governmental body. That is what many people are concerned about.

Unless you are doing child pornography, which you somehow want to upload to any cloud platform, or email, then you have nothing to worry about.

The rest is on request of a law enforcer via a warrant. Don't do crime, or if you do, don't upload your grand plans to any cloud platform, as the day you'll be target, and the police will get enough evidence for a warrant, then you are in trouble.

As for your web surfing activity, that is all trackable by your ISP or VPN provider (assuming the VPN is well built).

It is a ridiculous hypothetical, sure, but one that can happen, at any time.

Call me paranoid but this is spying.

Collecting Store purchases, telemetry data like knowing your screen resolution, your system specs, and what feature people use or not in general all consolidated to heat maps and charts, isn't considered valuable data. Nor are crash mini-dumps, which you can fully analyses yourself. The tools are there. 

Proof, so far, no malware maker has cared to try and collect any of the user system data. No white hat competition has a care to try it either. Useless data. Not a privacy risk.

I know I'll sound like 'what-about-ism' but returning to goverment wants to know your every move. Nearly every web site you go, has telemetry tracking, even if you don't accept the "performance" or whatever they want to call it cookies. Same for mobile apps. In fact, there is no work to be done on any mobile app dev side... all frameworks include all that to devs, Apple and Google offer nice charts to its devs, regardless of user privacy option set. So, all to say, if the governments want, they can.

So far, a country like China, doesn't seem able to do anything with all those Chinese using VPNs to access the outside web, even though they put their life at risk, and this is despite having the Chinese government requesting a special Chinese version of Windows. Sooo...

I mean don't get me wrong, it is good to be careful with your private information, it is good to be on top of things as well. But there is going too far, which only leads you to either just draw attention to you, or give yourself the illusion of privacy.

Anyways, this is way off topic, we can make a thread or you can PM me. Both are welcome.

Moving on from the out of topic discussion, I also wanted to say, props to MS for making the UI design more consistent on each app.

TBH none of this update is exciting enough for me to upgrade, but at least they did something

Adding featires one year after release that should've been in the os from the get-go is now praiseworthy, interesting...