Windows 11 - Update 22H2 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
Just now, Jito463 said:

Maybe they used an early build of 11 when your laptop was sent out?  All I know, is that when I install 11 on computers at work, I always have to connect to the internet for updates, or it won't let me get past the network connection screen.

no, this is like two months ago when i installed w11 (what ever the latest build was) myself. didn't updated from 10, wiped the partition and started from zero.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

no, this is like two months ago when i installed w11 (what ever the latest build was) myself. didn't updated from 10, wiped the partition and started from zero.

Hmm, I'll have to test that the next time I get a chance.  Though my method does work already, so it's not a huge concern either way, I'm just curious now.

25 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

What about something simple like being able to just click enter to login without a password from sleep?  In 10 you could click the 'Enter' key on the keyboard to wake the computer, then press it again to sign right in.  With 11 you have to either move the mouse cursor or hit the 'Tab' key to click on 'Sign in'.

Seems to be working fine on my side.

You can also say to not ask for a password on wake up, and now it will directly go to the desktop.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Seems to be working fine on my side.

You can also say to not ask for a password on wake up, and now it will directly go to the desktop.

I've noticed it on multiple demo laptops.  We let them go to sleep overnight, and then wake them up in the morning.  Only one laptop out of 5 or 6 with 11 (the others still have 10) would focus directly on the 'Sign in' button.  The rest I have to Tab over to it.

Some of y'all out here fighting whether it's good or not. I'm just having fun with the graphics and looks, and since it was free, I could really care less. As long as it works, we all good.

Chillax everyone. Just have some fun!

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

19 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I've noticed it on multiple demo laptops.  We let them go to sleep overnight, and then wake them up in the morning.  Only one laptop out of 5 or 6 with 11 (the others still have 10) would focus directly on the 'Sign in' button.  The rest I have to Tab over to it.

Sounds like a driver is taking focus away from the button for some reason... probably a common part (or at least the same manufacturer) in those laptops...

Or maybe it was an issue, fixed, and all depends on the build / update the laptop comes with

The update to Task Manager kind of makes me think what are some of the pieces of Microsoft software that you've interacted with in Windows 10 or 11 that look out of place the most where it seems like the ui style hasn't been updated at least since the oughts? One that I've interacted a few times with Microsoft Management Console/Computer Management. It's something that only came up because some of my USB ports are broken but it very much looks like it's from the 2000s and given that it's 3.0 version came out in the 2007 release of Windows Server 2003 and the 2008 Service Pack 3 for Windows XP yeah it's not had a UI overhaul in 15 years.

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

TKIP and WEP are deprecated security standards and Windows 11 will no longer allow connections to those types starting with this build.

Well that is going to cause a bit of many for many people, oh well 😅

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

People who are against this simple concept are servants of a corporation that don't care for their users. Only a masochist would encourage such hostile behavior. 

God bless that corporate fanboyism is now pop culture

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

glass effect background

So it's like Aero theme in Vista/7 but more like frosted glass look, I like it

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

16 hours ago, vetali said:

Finally. The button only turning on/off bluetooth was pointless and forced you to go through settings to switch/pair items. Now if they could fix the 3 second freeze when searching through the start menu I'd probably like W11.

That freeze was getting on my nerve so I reinstalled W11 and so far it's much better but still not quite fast enough. I think it's because I keep using Start instead of Search and once you start typing into Start it automatically switches to Search and that's where it gets stuck sometimes. 

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Of course, this doesn't apply if you manually check for updates.

Which still requires a group policy hack in order to keep your PC from rebooting for more than a day, thereby destroying the current desktop state?

As for all this OneDrive integration: Cool, I guess, what if I happen to not use Microsofts one cloud storage solution?

Hey, Windows 11 will finally be able to drag and drop between programs the way Windows ME and Vista could. Making it that much closer to being just as good.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Have they fixed background slide show stop working with virtual desktops?

Aka have it as slide show, restart PC, then try to change virtual desktop, and the background resets to an image instead of a slide show.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Which still requires a group policy hack in order to keep your PC from rebooting for more than a day, thereby destroying the current desktop state?

Huh? Never experienced this. Ever in any Windows.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

As for all this OneDrive integration: Cool, I guess, what if I happen to not use Microsofts one cloud storage solution?

It won't show up.

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

So it's like Aero theme in Vista/7 but more like frosted glass look, I like it

Mica ignores content on the behind. Just the background is considered.

14 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

It is when you constantly run into random issues that just shouldn't happen.

Yeah that must suck.

Luckily I don't, even tho I'm running beta since day 1. 🍀

The HDR calibration might actually be a big deal. Most of the reason why people call WIndows HDR bad is because it often results in undersaturation for SDR content. If the user is able to manually set up the color conversion and gamut clipping you could fix most monitor's bad HDR implementations. I really hope they make this more than just 1 more slider like the current implementation that only adjusts the conversion brightness.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Huh? Never experienced this. Ever in any Windows.

Woot? Unless you disable automatic updates through a group policy (it then says "some options are managed by your organization" in Windows update) you can only "pick a time" or "update outside of active hours" but there is practically no way of preventing a reboot of your machine in the next 24h. Which, of course, will close all open apps, browser tabs, documents, and so on.

I'm beginning to like 11, though my biggest complaint is File Explorer.

stupid.png.f9cffe847e45fd41e195cd65a72ed337.png

Why?? Why did you have to move it and replace it with icons? I was perfectly happy with the location of Rename, Delete, Cut, Copy, Paste where they have been since at least NT 4.

elephants

4 hours ago, Dracarris said:

I don't use any such hack and I've been able to delay Windows updates for months.

Was that smart? Nah, but it wasn't difficult. Just keep extending the delay in Check for Updates.

elephants

29 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Just keep extending the delay in Check for Updates.

How do you do that?

One thing I hate when installing using a Microsoft account is that it creates my user folder as "C:\Users\joshu". If I create with an offline account first, I can have it be "C:\Users\joshua", then convert the account to an online account. My OCD is not okay with "joshu".

2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

-snip-

I'm fairly certain it stacks, so you can just spam that button and be unconcerned for a while.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.