Windows 11 - Update 22H2 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Adding featires one year after release that should've been in the os from the get-go is now praiseworthy, interesting...

Join the insider program then.

But the good news for you, Microsoft will change the way updates are released, and features will come as they are ready. Microsoft said that they aim to release a new update in October, featuring updated Open With panel, File Explorer tabs, and new Photos app. 

44 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Adding featires one year after release that should've been in the os from the get-go is now praiseworthy, interesting...

I agree.  Some of these features they are adding should have prevented the shipping of Windows 11 itself.  As a whole, I'm glad for this update but if Microsoft seriously messed up shipping the incomplete project that was Windows 11.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Join the insider program then.

LMAO, thats pretty much BS and you know it. IDK whats lower, defending a company for releasing a half done product or praising them for fixing it at a snails pace....

50 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

LMAO, thats pretty much BS and you know it. IDK whats lower, defending a company for releasing a half done product or praising them for fixing it at a snails pace....

One can also just be happy with new features. That doesn't mean anyone is praising Microsoft. I agree with the general sentiment that Windows 11 should've been a more complete package at launch. Still, it's your choice if you wish to upgrade. If you don't want do, don't do it. If it doesn't have enough new features for you, don't do it.

I tried Windows 11 2 times. And everytime i switched back to 10 because either one of the features i'd want to use is still not working or isn't implemented yet. You have the freedom of choice, so use it. There is literally no risk in trying W11 out. You can roll back to 10 in a few mouse clicks and 5 minutes of your time if you don't like it.

They still have 3 years to offer you a compelling version of Windows 11. Even in 2025 nothing will stop you from keeping your Windows 10 install running. Apps won't magically stop working on 10 at the day it's official support ends.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

No-one asked me if i want 10 or 11 on my new machine....

If it comes with 11 then just install 10. You can create your own Windows 10 install flash drive FOR FREE.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If it comes with 11 then just install 10. You can create your own Windows 10 install flash drive FOR FREE.

Doesnt change that you dont have a say in what you get on the machine, and lets face it reinstalling after the fact isnt an option for many because they cannot do it.

As for me just jumped ship to linux and windows is only for gaming. Doesnt matter if it borks itself because im not dumb enough to entrust that malware with anything of importance.....

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Doesnt change that you dont have a say in what you get on the machine, and lets face it reinstalling after the fact isnt an option for many because they cannot do it.

But it's something you can teach yourself by reading for 5 minutes. If you're not ready to put any amount of effort into configuring your own system then don't cry about having something you don't want on your PC.

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

As for me just jumped ship to linux and windows is only for gaming. Doesnt matter if it borks itself because im not dumb enough to entrust that malware with anything of importance.....

If it'd work just as well as Linux advocates say then it would have more market share in the desktop space. I've seen plenty of examples of it working well, and i've seen plenty of examples of it not working at all. Just look at Linus and his reputation of bricking Linux systems while doing the most mundane tasks. For the last one he bricked people couldn't even argue it was user error.

I don't want this to devolve in another Windows vs. Linux thread. I'll just say Linux has it's own problems and leave it at that. For me it simply wouldn't be worth it to fire up a VM or reboot to Windows every time i want to play a game. (or deal with problems caused by a VM)

It's baffling that they still don't allow you to completely remove the recommended section.

The fact that you can disable recommendations and it leaves an empty spot at the bottom of the start menu is just absurd.

All of these improvements they've made to Task Manager and yet CPU temp monitoring continues to be neglected. Such an odd thing to omit IMO. They even got GPU added (mostly, no iGPU monitoring and needs to be at least WDDM 2.4). Working in repair it'd be extremely useful to be able to monitor all of these basic metrics through a built in utility.

42 minutes ago, Dr_Whom said:

All of these improvements they've made to Task Manager and yet CPU temp monitoring continues to be neglected. Such an odd thing to omit IMO. They even got GPU added (mostly, no iGPU monitoring and needs to be at least WDDM 2.4). Working in repair it'd be extremely useful to be able to monitor all of these basic metrics through a built in utility.

GPU Temps is up to the GPU manufacture to add support.

CPU Temps are not useful on a modern CPU, and will only create panic.

Why?

• CPU Temp will not show a modern CPU throttling. Even when combined with the CPU Clock speed. You need high-precision graph to know, or until the situation is so bad that is notable in daily usage. I have already fixed an HP laptop for something, in working order, I didn't notice anything wrong in terms of performance, only to notice that during disassembly to replace a part, the Thermal paste wasn't applied to the whole width of CPU. Correcting this at the assembly, the laptop had a substantial performance increase. The clocks and temps through HWInfo and AIDA64 never showed anything (beside throttling under load with AIDA64, which could be simply attributed to the form factor limitation (ultrabook)).

Another experience was with my Surface Pro 3. It always thermals throttled under load, that was by design, due to the device form factor. My daily driver progressively got worse in performance. Temps were always fine, clocks looked normal. Turbo Boost looked fine. Until one day it got to a point that it was impossible to use. Clean install didn't fix it, system restore back to the original Windows release, resulted in remaining to be impossible. CPU still Boosted normally. It was time to change the thermal paste. Being such an old device, with the 4th gen Intel CPU U series, dual core, I went ahead and serviced it. I took the risk of opening it (screen breakage was a risk, so I avoided it for the longest time). Once I did, I changed the dried-up thermal paste, and the device worked as if it was new. The performance was back, clock and boost behavior remained all correct. Still Thermal Throttled under heavy load, as expected. I had to overlay screen shots to compare the graph (align by time), to have a clear understanding.

Why isn't it visible? Simple, the clock change is faster than CPU monitoring software. So, if your 3GHz CPU goes down to 800Mhz back to 3GHz down to 800MHz in less than quatre of a second, but in that period stayed longer at 3GHz, as it tries to keep thermals in check, HWInfo or AIDA64 will only show you 3GHz. The CPU will Turbo Boost just fine, as well from your perspective. But it might jump to 3.8Ghz down to 600MHz and back up to 3.8GHz. And this is only considering 1 thing... clocks. And for all we know, cache might downclock as well, or other sub components inside the CPU which aren't monitored, and are architecture specific.

• It is common for laptop CPUs to reach 90-100C under heavy load. Consumers will freak out. But it is all within specs.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

But it's something you can teach yourself by reading for 5 minutes.

Thats what you refuse to see, r=1 users dont want to learn anything. They just want to use their pc as it was always used and get a nuclear meltdown if anything changes.....

31 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

GPU Temps is up to the GPU manufacture to add support.

CPU Temps are not useful on a modern CPU, and will only create panic.

Why?

• CPU Temp will not show a modern CPU throttling. Even when combined with the CPU Clock speed. You need high-precision graph to know, or until the situation is so bad that is notable in daily usage. I have already fixed an HP laptop for something, in working order, I didn't notice anything wrong in terms of performance, only to notice that during disassembly to replace a part, the Thermal paste wasn't applied to the whole width of CPU. Correcting this at the assembly, the laptop had a substantial performance increase. The clocks and temps through HWInfo and AIDA64 never showed anything (beside throttling under load with AIDA64, which could be simply attributed to the form factor limitation (ultrabook)).

Another experience was with my Surface Pro 3. It always thermals throttled under load, that was by design, due to the device form factor. My daily driver progressively got worse in performance. Temps were always fine, clocks looked normal. Turbo Boost looked fine. Until one day it got to a point that it was impossible to use. Clean install didn't fix it, system restore back to the original Windows release, resulted in remaining to be impossible. CPU still Boosted normally. It was time to change the thermal paste. Being such an old device, with the 4th gen Intel CPU U series, dual core, I went ahead and serviced it. I took the risk of opening it (screen breakage was a risk, so I avoided it for the longest time). Once I did, I changed the dried-up thermal paste, and the device worked as if it was new. The performance was back, clock and boost behavior remained all correct. Still Thermal Throttled under heavy load, as expected. I had to overlay screen shots to compare the graph (align by time), to have a clear understanding.

Why isn't it visible? Simple, the clock change is faster than CPU monitoring software. So, if your 3GHz CPU goes down to 800Mhz back to 3GHz down to 800MHz in less than quatre of a second, but in that period stayed longer at 3GHz, as it tries to keep thermals in check, HWInfo or AIDA64 will only show you 3GHz. The CPU will Turbo Boost just fine, as well from your perspective. But it might jump to 3.8Ghz down to 600MHz and back up to 3.8GHz. And this is only considering 1 thing... clocks. And for all we know, cache might downclock as well, or other sub components inside the CPU which aren't monitored, and are architecture specific.

• It is common for laptop CPUs to reach 90-100C under heavy load. Consumers will freak out. But it is all within specs.

Thank you for explaining my job to me, I really needed that. I would like to have CPU temps added to task manager so that I can monitor basic metrics from a single built in application. It would be nice.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Thats what you refuse to see, r=1 users dont want to learn anything. They just want to use their pc as it was always used and get a nuclear meltdown if anything changes.....

The users you're describing probably won't care if the PC is on W11 or W10. And if you actually care, i don't think it's too much of a hasse to spend a few minutes to install the one you want.

17 hours ago, Dr_Whom said:

On my laptop, the iGPU do show up in task manager Shows the graphs and everything. Also has a temperature reading, at the moment it shows 42c 🙂

Windows 11, Ryzen 5800H.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

If anyone has Nvidia GPU and is facing performance issues with the latest version of Windows 11 22H2.

Nvidia recommends installing its Windows 11 22H2 Beta drivers.

Once again, Nvidia like to wait to the very last minute before starting to work on their drivers when a new version of Windows comes out.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, GoodBytes said:

If anyone has Nvidia GPU and is facing performance issues with the latest version of Windows 11 22H2.

Nvidia recommends installing its Windows 11 22H2 Beta drivers.

Spoiler

Once again, Nvidia like to wait to the very last minute before starting to work on their drivers when a new version of Windows comes out.

Is this isolated to people only using GeForce Experience because there are some articles that don't specify that:

Windows 11's 22H2 update has been causing framerate problems for Geforce GPU users, resulting in stuttering in many games, audio issues in others, and full system crashes in one cases. Gamers who have reported these issues have claimed that rolling back Microsoft's 22H2 update for Windows 11 has fixed these performance and stability issues. 

Some users of Nvidia's GeForce graphics cards are noticing severe performance issues after installing the Windows 11 2022 Update (aka Windows 11 22H2) that Microsoft released to the public earlier this week. As reported by Bleeping Computer, affected users have experience stuttering, inconsistent framerates, and slowdowns, even on fast PCs with modern components.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/windows_11_s_22h2_is_wreaking_havoc_on_nvidia-based_gaming_systems/1

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/geforce-gpus-are-slowing-down-after-installing-the-windows-11-2022-update/

I read some comments on Reddit that people are generally not having issues with it (Windows 11 22H2 and NVIDIA hardware) or that GFE seems to be the culprit. 

15 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Is this isolated to people only using GeForce Experience because there are some articles that don't specify that:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/windows_11_s_22h2_is_wreaking_havoc_on_nvidia-based_gaming_systems/1

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/geforce-gpus-are-slowing-down-after-installing-the-windows-11-2022-update/

I read some comments on Reddit that people are generally not having issues with it (Windows 11 22H2 and NVIDIA hardware) or that GFE seems to be the culprit. 

Seems odd they would only release an update to GFE and not a full driver if it was driver related. I don't have GFE installed and don't have issues FWIW.

Given it's only GFE I'd expect it's only related to GFE overlay/recording etc.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Given it's only GFE I'd expect it's only related to GFE overlay/recording etc.

Well here they simply say install the latest GFE Beta to fix the issue:

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/low_performance_after_windows_11_2022_update_here_is_a_solve.html

However, they don't mention whether or not it's GFE itself causing the issue. Weird. 

On 9/25/2022 at 4:01 AM, BiG StroOnZ said:

Just weighing in: Currently trying out the latest W11 and i don't run into any performance issues with my 3080. I didn't download a specific beta fix. I'm not running GFE.

The only reason i'm trying the new version is the new HDR calibration tool. And surprise: It doesn't even really work. The saturation slider (the one that could be a gamechanger for windows HDR support) does nothing and in the end all the app does is create an ICC profile, which isn't supported by most apps anyway.

So yeah, good job Microsoft. You took a step forward and fell over backwards.

Anyone got any issues upgrading to Win11 22H2?

My laptop is running on a Intel 8th gen CPU and Win11 21H2, but when I tried to upgrade to 22H2,  it says

This PC can't be upgraded to this version of Windows.

Your PC has hardware that isn't ready for this version of Windows. Windows Update will automatically offer you this version of Windows once the issue has been resolved.

There is a "Learn More" link at the bottom, clicking on it takes me to this Win11 22H2 issues page, but I don't have any of the hardware from the issues list. So it seems it's waiting for component manufacture to make drivers compatible with Win11 22H2 and if they never bother, I can't never upgrade and be stuck forever with 21H2?!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Check if your TPM is correctly enabled

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Anyone got any issues upgrading to Win11 22H2?

My laptop is running on a Intel 8th gen CPU and Win11 21H2, but when I tried to upgrade to 22H2,  it says

There is a "Learn More" link at the bottom, clicking on it takes me to this Win11 22H2 issues page, but I don't have any of the hardware from the issues list. So it seems it's waiting for component manufacture to make drivers compatible with Win11 22H2 and if they never bother, I can't never upgrade and be stuck forever with 21H2?!

So the way it works is that Windows Update system will create a block if issues with installs are detected with matching hardware. This means people rollback, or system faces BSOD or performance issues after the upgrade process. Once a block is created, Microsoft investigates.

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Check if your TPM is correctly enabled

I checked, it's correctly enabled.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So the way it works is that Windows Update system will create a block if issues with installs are detected with matching hardware. This means people rollback, or system faces BSOD or performance issues after the upgrade process. Once a block is created, Microsoft investigates.

So others who had issues with their hardware is preventing me from upgrading because I have similar hardware as them. I know MS is trying to give everyone a pleasant upgrade experience, but to stop everyone from upgrade just because a few got the issues, is not the way to do it. There will always be users who runs into issues, and those who don't.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list