Windows 11 - Update 22H2 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes

Here's my experience with the Windows 11 22H2 update:

Took a little while to install, not that big of a deal, around 20-30 minutes total. 

Upon restarting, after it was done with all of the "Getting Windows ready, Don't turn off your computer" parts. I booted into Windows and the screen resolution was off. Despite correctly being set to 1080p @ 144Hz. Decided to restart and figured that would fix it. Which it did. Resolution back to normal.

Decided to check Windows Update again, and to my surprise there was about 15 or so downloads/updates (possibly even more). I waited for all of them to download/install, and then to be prompted for a restart. I restarted and 5 of them seemed to be having issues being installed when I went back to Windows Update to see if they were all installed. 

I played around with different things and nothing seemed to work. Many of the recommendations were to remove certain contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows folder. I read around and there seems to be some mixed opinions on doing that. Where there's a possibility of bricking something, so I opted not to do that at the moment. Apparently from the error codes given, it appears that the most likely problem is there's a driver or update installed that is newer than the one featured in the update (I'm guessing when the huge onslaught of updates was taking place, the newer one installed first and these ones are the leftovers). I wasn't sure what to do so I decided to come back to it later and load up a game to see if there was any issues with games (as reported by many).

I loaded up Just Cause 3 which is the single player game I'm currently playing. Within 5 minutes of playing, the game froze/crashed and I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete out of it. I couldn't get Task Manager to load up (it would load but couldn't gain access to it), so I simply signed out and signed back in. Figured that meant I was one of the people who were going to face the issues with the 22H2 update and an NVIDIA GPU. Noticed a day ago that a new NVIDIA Driver released. Did some research and apparently it has some fixes for the 22H2 update. Most of the information I gathered mentioned installing GFE, so I figured despite being one of the people that generally doesn't use GFE, I would install it anyway because it might have the fix for 22H2 included in it (not sure how that would be the case, but nonetheless, go with the flow). 

I downloaded the newest driver (517.48) and the newest DDU (v18.0.5.5). Uninstalled the current NVIDIA drivers, along with everything else NVIDIA related. Then ran DDU in Safe Mode. Installed the newest driver (517.48) with GFE and decided to test out Just Cause 3. Played for about 1 hour and 20 minutes without any issues. So, hopefully the new 517.48 driver fixed the issue with 22H2 incompatibility (freeze/crash). Before that I was using the 516.59 driver which came out in June so it's possible that the driver was simply too old and didn't jive with the new 22H2 Update. But it seems for now that it's working properly. I will test out Mirror's Edge too to see with another game if it doesn't freeze/crash. But so far so good with the newest NV driver.

As far as the corrupted updates go, not sure what to do with that, any ideas:

22H2.thumb.jpg.71fd46deab5873e0803e0fc7968e0a01.jpg

This is what it looks like on my end. Is there any possibility that they go away on their own? Or is this something I'm going to have to fix myself? What's the opinions on messing with the SoftwareDistribution folder? Any way to remove them from the update queue?

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

So others who had issues with their hardware is preventing me from upgrading because I have similar hardware as them. I know MS is trying to give everyone a pleasant upgrade experience, but to stop everyone from upgrade just because a few got the issues, is not the way to do it. There will always be users who runs into issues, and those who don't.

Not everyone is being stop, just similar hardware configuration, UNTILL Microsoft gives the OK.

There is no rush to get the latest version of Windows 11. However, if you feel strongly that your system will be fine, you can either force the upgrade via Update Assistance or Media Creation Tool. But of course, you'll get what you get. 

29 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

As far as the corrupted updates go, not sure what to do with that, any ideas:

22H2.thumb.jpg.71fd46deab5873e0803e0fc7968e0a01.jpg

0x80248007 points to WU_E_DS_NODATA. Which means: "The information requested is not in the data store."
Source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-error-reference

You can check the logs under: C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsUpdate

To view .etl files, you can extract its info, via the command: tracerpt
To do this, open the command prompt as Administrator (elevated), and type and execute:

tracerpt <file name>.etl

Example:

tracerpt WindowsUpdate.20220928.204238.106.2.etl

And 2 files will be generated. a long XML file that should be carefully analyzed (dumpfile.xml) and a summary (summary.txt).

You can also check Event Viewer for more information.

My guess is that the update was pulled. So, Windows Update tries to find it, as it got notification about getting it, but it doesn't exist on the server side.

OR, you are using a VPN, or you have something blocking or redirecting the domain call to Windows Update Server to a wrong IP.

As for 0x80070103. This occurs when Windows Update is expected to download and install the driver, but either of the situation occurs during validation process:

• The driver was already installed
  • The driver compatibility rating (calculated by Microsoft) is inferior to the currently installed one, despite being a newer version. This is probably caused by telemetry data collection reporting to the Update Server that users are having problems with this hardware, or it thinks it is because of it. Microsoft will analyze, and remove the block if it is all good, or Realtek will fix it and release an update, and the evaluation cycle will restart.

23 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

0x80248007 points to WU_E_DS_NODATA. Which means: "The information requested is not in the data store."
Source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-error-reference

You can check the logs under: C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsUpdate

To view .etl files, you can extract its info, via the command: tracerpt
To do this, open the command prompt as Administrator (elevated), and type and execute:

tracerpt <file name>.etl

Example:

tracerpt WindowsUpdate.20220928.204238.106.2.etl

And 2 files will be generated. a long XML file that should be carefully analyzed (dumpfile.xml) and a summary (summary.txt).

You can also check Event Viewer for more information.

My guess is that the update was pulled. So, Windows Update tries to find it, as it got notification about getting it, but it doesn't exist on the server side.

OR, you are using a VPN, or you have something blocking or redirecting the domain call to Windows Update Server to a wrong IP.

As for 0x80070103. This occurs when Windows Update is expected to download and install the driver, but either of the situation occurs during validation process:

• The driver was already installed
  • The driver compatibility rating (calculated by Microsoft) is inferior to the currently installed one, despite being a newer version. This is probably caused by telemetry data collection reporting to the Update Server that users are having problems with this hardware, or it thinks it is because of it. Microsoft will analyze, and remove the block if it is all good, or Realtek will fix it and release an update, and the evaluation cycle will restart.

Thanks for the quick reply.

For the Windows Update Log examination there appears to be around 122 files present, all dated 9/28/2022. So they were from today. They start around 6PM and finish around 12AM. Most of the files are 136KB but there are some others that are different sizes.

How should I know what files to examine, since there are so many? Also as far as the tracerpt command goes, where are the files generated? Right in the Logs/WindowsUpdate folder? Also, all I have to do in command prompt is enter the file name (along with tracerpt) and it knows what directory I'm in automatically?

I'm not using a VPN at the moment, but I do use a program called O&O ShutUp10++. Which is a small standalone antispy tool for Windows 11 and 10. I've installed numerous other updates/drivers/etc. using it without issues; so it shouldn't be blocking or redirecting the domain call to the Window Update Server to a wrong IP. It doesn't do anything like that, just enables or disables settings, AFAIK.

So as far as the 0x80070103 error goes, you are saying that this more than likely will fix itself on its own eventually? Or in the case that it was already installed how do I get it off my update queue? Is that even possible?

Thanks again! 

Tried updating today, got this instead 😗

image.thumb.jpeg.0e4a99ad26b7bd87dbb814f13f9f2a8f.jpeg

Supposedly it's because of drivers or something, idk

🙂

12 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Many of the recommendations were to remove certain contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows folder. I read around and there seems to be some mixed opinions on doing that. Where there's a possibility of bricking something, so I opted not to do that at the moment.

I've had to clear the 'SoftwareDistribution' directory several times in the past on customer's machines.  I've never once had it cause an issue with bricking or locking up anything.  Typically, I just remove the entire directory instead of parts of it.  That simply clears the pending Windows Updates cache and then forces Windows to redownload everything.

*EDIT*
Forgot to mention, make sure you pause the Windows Updates service.

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Not everyone is being stop, just similar hardware configuration, UNTILL Microsoft gives the OK.

There is no rush to get the latest version of Windows 11. However, if you feel strongly that your system will be fine, you can either force the upgrade via Update Assistance or Media Creation Tool. But of course, you'll get what you get. 

I did try all of that and none of them worked, it still blocked my upgrade and gave me the same message. I didn't want to wiped out my OS, so I split my C:\, and did a clean install of Win11 22H2 on the new partition just to see if it still blocks my install and to find out what hardware might be causing the block. Nope, Win11 installs fine, Windows update works too, it download and install all of the updates, and drivers. The only thing that didn't detect was my sensor component, went to my laptops website got that, installed it, and now that's working too. Been using it for a few hours and so far no BSOD or anything yet.

So basically a few users who suffered a catastrophic upgrade failure, triggered MS to block everyone with similar hardware from upgrading. MS should just let everyone do their own thing and have the users send feed back if they encounter any errors. Now that I know my laptop can run Win11 22H2, I wonder how long MS is going to take to unblock me from upgrading.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

36 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I did try all of that and none of them worked, it still blocked my upgrade and gave me the same message. I didn't want to wiped out my OS, so I split my C:\, and did a clean install of Win11 22H2 on the new partition just to see if it still blocks my install and to find out what hardware might be causing the block. Nope, Win11 installs fine, Windows update works too, it download and install all of the updates, and drivers. The only thing that didn't detect was my sensor component, went to my laptops website got that, installed it, and now that's working too. Been using it for a few hours and so far no BSOD or anything yet.

So basically a few users who suffered a catastrophic upgrade failure, triggered MS to block everyone with similar hardware from upgrading. MS should just let everyone do their own thing and have the users send feed back if they encounter any errors. Now that I know my laptop can run Win11 22H2, I wonder how long MS is going to take to unblock me from upgrading.

Be careful. You have done a clean installation. The process is not the same as an upgrade.

The driver(s) at fault might not support the upgrade process.

Installed software is also included as well (Typically security software or software with DRM and Anti-Cheat systems)

4 hours ago, duncannah said:

Tried updating today, got this instead 😗

Supposedly it's because of drivers or something, idk

Windows 11 22H2 does not like the fact that your monitor is dirty.

Windows 11 is only installable on systems that are clean, respected and loved.

On a serious note, you have to check the logs to know where it failed in the process exactly.

15 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

For the Windows Update Log examination there appears to be around 122 files present, all dated 9/28/2022. So they were from today. They start around 6PM and finish around 12AM. Most of the files are 136KB but there are some others that are different sizes.

All of them, but if you want to start in a cleaner state, you can delete them all. Restart the system, and check for updates, the files will be regenerated, and you'll have the latest logs, reducing the work needed.

Also as far as the tracerpt command goes, where are the files generated?

The file generated are where you are executing the command prompt.

So, if you have:
C:\Users\BigStroOnZ\Desktop and you execute:

C:\Users\BigStroOnZ\Desktop>tracerpt C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20220928.204238.106.2.etl

Then you'll get the files on your desktop.

I'm not using a VPN at the moment, but I do use a program called O&O ShutUp10++. Which is a small standalone antispy tool for Windows 11 and 10. I've installed numerous other updates/drivers/etc. using it without issues; so it shouldn't be blocking or redirecting the domain call to the Window Update Server to a wrong IP. It doesn't do anything like that, just enables or disables settings, AFAIK.

Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and open the file: hosts under notepad.

Anything in there?

All I can say is that if you are blocking Windows Updates, then Microsoft doesn't test out of order updates, besides specific sets of flows with supported versions of Windows. You are on your own if you don't go with the flow. That is what it seems from my observation.

If you are blocking Microsoft domains, then those are guessed, and so might be blocking what it though is advertisement, but is Windows Update related.

Yay! Hopefully, everyone won't have to wait a year to get it, like Microsoft did with Drag & Drop support on the new task bar.

task-man-taskbar.png
(Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25211 - Dev Channel)

Dusting off my account to say this.

image.png.3ce8b0a7b3055f124204a07fc7d57459.png

Excellent work, Microsoft.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yay! Hopefully, everyone won't have to wait a year to get it, like Microsoft did with Drag & Drop support on the new task bar.

task-man-taskbar.png

Praise the Lord. This has been driving me crazy at work.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

43 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Dusting off my account to say this.

image.png.3ce8b0a7b3055f124204a07fc7d57459.png

Excellent work, Microsoft.

tbh, it makes sense if you installed win 11 on unsupported hardware. Since it's a big upgrade it has to use the same installer that will still see your hardware incompatible. 

I wonder if there is a way to bypass it though... without reinstalling from scratch

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

task-man-taskbar.png

I'm waiting on having non-collapsing icons (I find it a lot more inconvenient on a touch pad when it collapses, and I like seeing things like the window name)

Also, not as important to me, but movable taskbar

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

tbh, it makes sense if you installed win 11 on unsupported hardware. Since it's a big upgrade it has to use the same installer that will still see your hardware incompatible. 

I wonder if there is a way to bypass it though... without reinstalling from scratch

Pretty sure my laptop that shipped with Windows 11 isn't unsupported. In addition, it passes the PC Health Check... check.

image.png.d0604fde4f7365587d444d73702257f8.png

I don't understand why it's not letting me install 22H2.

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

So basically a few users who suffered a catastrophic upgrade failure, triggered MS to block everyone with similar hardware from upgrading. MS should just let everyone do their own thing and have the users send feed back if they encounter any errors.

Considering how MS used to get blamed incessantly for any BSOD due to a faulty driver, I can't say I blame them for taking it cautiously.  That said, it should be a warning message that allows you to proceed anyway at your own risk, not an error message that prevents you from moving forward at all.  I remember when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it initially blocked me from installing it because the upgrade process found some random driver files on a secondary HDD that wasn't even actively being used.  And just because those inactive drivers were incompatible, it would block me from doing the upgrade completely.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Pretty sure my laptop that shipped with Windows 11 isn't unsupported. In addition, it passes the PC Health Check... check.

-snip-

I don't understand why it's not letting me install 22H2.

Yeah that’s a weird one… something you have installed perhaps? Is there a log file somewhere where you can get more detail? 

maybe check the Panther folder. Should be under C:\Windows 

Spoiler

For those who can't upgrade:

1. Make SURE all, everyone of them, drivers are updated to their latest version. This means: audio, printer, network, chipset, GPU, keyboard, mouse, etc. Everything!
  2. Make sure that ALL software are fully up-to-date. This includes games.
  3. Link to 2, make sure that all security related software (VPN, Anti-virus, etc.) are Windows 11 22H2 ready, and so, needs to be fully up-to-date as well. If you decide to uninstall a or them, be sure to restart the system before checking for updated again.
  4. You are running the latest UEFI/BIOS version

As we speak, the following has been documented by Microsoft and blocks have been put in place. Please note, once again, Windows Update bases itself on telemetry data based on system behavior after an upgrade (several users rolled back, experienced system BSOD after, Update failed at some point). Windows Update internal system checks similar software/hardware and set auto-blocks, and Microsoft investigates further. If an issue has been found, release note documentation will get updated. And the company responsible will be contacted (if possible, assuming the issue is not related to Windows).

Currently these are the known blockers:

• Printers using Microsoft IPP Class Driver or Universal Print Class Driver 
  • Compatibility issues with Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) drivers and Windows 11
  • Copying files/shortcuts using Group Policy Preferences might not work as expected
  • Security update for Secure Boot DBX might fail to install.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yup there is

Upgraded 3 machines so far, the first 2 are supported, one upgraded straight with media creation tool, the 2nd wanted me to install PC Health check. The 3rd is unsupported and the above worked perfectly fine.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just in case anyone was wondering:

It seems that the 5 corrupted updates that I was experiencing after installing 22H2 fixed itself. They are no longer present in my update queue. 

I also played about 45 mins of Path of Exile and 30 minutes of Mirror's Edge Catalyst without any crashes or freezes. So I'm thinking the newest NVIDIA Driver fixes those issues that people like myself were having with previous drivers and the 22H2 update. I plan on playing a few hours of Just Cause 3 tonight, so I'll update this post if I continue to have no issues.  

Edit: I played Just Cause 3 for two hours without any issues. No crashes or freezes. Therefore, I would recommend if you have an NVIDIA GPU and update to 22H2 to also update to the 517.48 NV Drivers. Additionally, I installed GFE, despite normally not doing so. 

On 9/29/2022 at 10:19 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah that’s a weird one… something you have installed perhaps? Is there a log file somewhere where you can get more detail? 

maybe check the Panther folder. Should be under C:\Windows 

Jen Gentleman replied to me on Twitter and said that it seems my computer hit a safeguard, and linked me this. I'm not really sure what it means but apparently it'll be automatically lifted after some point.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Jen Gentleman replied to me on Twitter and said that it seems my computer hit a safeguard, and linked me this. I'm not really sure what it means but apparently it'll be automatically lifted after some point.

It is exactly what I said. You have a driver or software that is not compatible with Windows 11 22H2 OR the upgrade process. Microsoft uses telemetry data to analyze people's experience when they upgrade their system. It happened that some people ended up with a poor experience (performance issue, BSOD, update failing, etc.), and as a result, it auto-blocks any similar hardware/software (whatever the automated system detected as a match) from getting the update.

Microsoft manually reviews the issue, and contacts the appropriate manufacturers with a report on the issue, so that they can fix it. It will be documented on the release notes of Windows 11 22H2 update. If there is an action that needs to be done on your side (update software, for example), it will be listed in the release notes: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2

So far, the main points are:
- Intel Smart Sound Technology

- Some printers drivers

- A Group Policy

- Secure Boot DBX update